or
Create an account

or

Thread Acoustic Folk Musician Looking for Recording Advice - Zoom MRS-8?

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Acoustic Folk Musician Looking for Recording Advice - Zoom MRS-8?
Hello!

I am a fairly experienced musician. I play a Martin DR acoustic guitar. No pickups, just guitar and vocals. I'm getting back into songwriting after about a 2 year layoff. I am seeking advice on a new recording setup.

I used to record using a tascam US-122 and two Condenser mics - One for vocal and one for the instrument. I used the cubase LE software that came with the US-122. I liked the setup; however, I lacked a good place to record. Where my computer is located in my house has sub-par acoustics. Anyway, longs story short, I sold the stuff because I needed money.

Fast forward...

My desire is this... I want a setup that is portable, professional sounding, and something that I can incorporate drum loops into.

I realize that my first option is to go back to the US-122, and purchase some drum loop software. The reason I prefer not to do this is I dont like the acoustics in here, and I also want a more portable option. I use a desktop.

OK, so my next thought is a stand alone multi-track recorder. I have my eye on a Zoom MRS-8. The fact that it comes with a drum and bass machine is very apealing. The problem I have with this device is that there is only one mic input that does NOT have phantom power. The unit comes with a built-in condenser mic, but I don't know how good that would really be. I also have fears that the drum/bass synthesizers with sound, well... over synthasized. I realize that as a solo artist there are things I need to sacrifice, but I don't want to produce something that sounds like the title track to a shopping experience at TJ-Maxx.

AND, I forgot to mention I am on a budget (who in music isnt? )

My ideal setup will cost right around 350-375 TOTAL.

Can someone who has more experience with multi-track recorders give me some input please? I'm trying to go as portable, economical AND professional sounding as possible. If multi-track recorders aren't so great, than PLEASE tell me. Talk me into computer based if that is the direction I should stay.

My ultimate goal here is of course what everyones is... Produce a quality sounding record... something that can be considered more than a demo I guess.

Any help/advice is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY GREATLY appreciated!!
zoom is a toy.us122 is a toy.go to ebay and find a good deal on a real DAW workstation.yamaha aw4416 is the best bang for the buck .there are good rolands and korgs and boss too.but the yamahas have the best editing tools .