or
Create an account

or

Thread Hooking up a patchbay in my studio

• 2 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Hooking up a patchbay in my studio
Okay, just to give some background, I have been doing live sound and studio mixing for about four years now. Been pretty basic. Started a little bit with tape, but almost instantly moved to digital in the studio. Recently decided I wanted to start running a patchbay so I could easily switch connections between things. So here is the question. I am running an Mackie Onyx 1640 board with the optional firewire (not great, but damn good for what I do). Well since it is sending out through a Firewire port, I am doing the individual channels, so it does not put the effects and eqs of the main mix in the recorded lines.

So I received my patchbay (DBX, only one they make), and was able to get it running through the main mix on de-normalized fairly easy. My question is if anyone can help out, and explain if there is a way that I can turn two of my connections into Inserts so that I can run a cable from the patchbay back to the main inserts on the mixing board. Thanks for your time and help.

-Clem
i use 3 patchbays for my mixer. i patched every direct out and channel insert. its expensive (tons of cable) but its soooo fast to change an outboard this way!

to patch insert, you need half-normalled mode. in this configuration, the contacts of the two jacks on the rear are interconnected. Only when you insert a plug in the front jacks the rear-panel route will be split up, an ideal mode for channel inserts.
Okay cool, thanks for the help, i'll try that out.