I have a lot of experience with Mackie mixers over the years. I still own a 1604VLZ Pro that is now 12 years old and still working very well. I had worked some with the previous version of this board, the Onyx 1640 and was impressed with the sound and feature set. But this version takes the whole experience to another level. With the firewire fully integrated into the design of the console, it makes external interfaces unnecessary (love that!) and the fact that you can bring your recorded tracks right up on your faders is just great!. As with the
Onyx 1640 before it, the preamps are squeaky clean and extremely quiet, the Perkins EQ is a very noticeable improvement over the EQ in my VLZ pro (as you would expect). It definitely has better headroom and lower noise overall. The routing is very flexible overall. All 6 Aux sends are Pre-post selectable, there are EQ in/out switches where the VLZ series just had detents on the EQ gain pots, it has a built in talkback mic with provision for an external, phantom powered mic to be plugged in in its place and more. The headphone amp sounds much better too!
The Rotopod feature, where you can turn the inputs/outputs end of the console facing up, down or out the back is a great feature. I will be using this to record live music exclusively and I am thrilled that I will no longer have to travel with a 16 channel firewire interface box! About the only thing I wish Mackie had done was to add insert jacks for the subgroups rather than just for the main output. I like being able to compress a group of vocals once in a while. Of course I can simply plug the subgroup outs into my compressors and return the outs of the compressors to one of the dedicated stereo returns or faders if available. Not a big deal,
overall. Other than that, to say I am happy with this purchase would be the understatement of the year!
I command Racke, with a big fly.
for technical feature, just read the product file.
for me, this console represents the solution for recording live or in the studio.
on this point the only defect I blame him, it is monitoring. Indeed, it possesses two outputs, since it is destinea mao, this is not a problem, just the two monitoring channels we can route to or to, or subs .... . ca limit when even a little.
otherwise the sound is simply amazing for the price of a console, I see no competition.
The config is simple, 1 minute to install the drivers and reboot (yes better), and off you go
ASIO2 nikel in Cubase or Nuendo, latency is forgotten and big stability it does not change me from hdsp9652 rm.
second default, direct output are pre eq ... it's a shame to lose the comfort of perkins, but I found a little scheming for the rere, simply save the master only (in 17 and 18)
and route that channel only to this one, then it benefits from eq. course must cabler two buses to the monitors etc ... but it works like quiet ca.
third default, headphones back ... it's a little hard to juggle the mix of headphones and of the rule, but such, it must blouzer.
The bin I do not see too much.
breath, I have not found (TFW slice 16 snoring a bit with the gain burne, but the power supply is down? Finally, given the sweet potato preamp, rarely EXCEED pm)
eq !! fabulous, I knew already full of mixers fan VZL for French touch, but they are the angels, it's wahwah eq, ca severe slice
I use since not even 15 days and I'm super happy with this console.
the defects are simply the return routing machine if Mackie was adding a small master block with normal items, this console was perfect, I would have given it 10 instead of 8.
- Rack Console (trs but deep, it was dj say, right?)
- It has 16 mic / line channels, including two in comuter line between high impdance, 6 dparts auxiliary 4 ffects which returns a pair of assignable sub groups and four subgroups assignable in pairs .
-Connectivity is trs pro with XLR jacks and 6.35. Dirrectes outputs are taken on subD 25.
-The qualiseur is 4-band semi-parametric and on with a button mdiums commissioning, trs useful.
She has a damn good talkback section, except that the microphone is sensitive Intgr, trs sensible, even too sensitive. It is innutilisable live under threat of hanging. Fortunately, ill possibility is to connect another mic XLR.
In terms of regrets:
not of stro Galise and routable to dparts auxiliaries.
I would put 10.
The use of the console is simple, even for beginners like me.
The usual functions are easily accessible, however, I find the buttons on the qualiseur raprochs enough of each other. Beware those with big fingers! That said, let's not forget that the console is only 19''wide and the surface is busy ...
Watch out for between 1 and 2: The button that switches between the high impdance in between (which cuts between micro) is a little too PRS SETTING THE gain, which earned me a big scare at a concert.
The manual is on the site of tlchargeable Mackie and is rather well done but is available in English.
I do not put "only" 9 because of a.
Of breath, I have been once. Attention all the same: a micro c'tait the c *** a "soften the capsule" that I drilled to gain and raise the fader to the max to get a correct level. .. Since I have my new microphone (for PG58), I have no problem. It just means that the console does not blow.
The qualiseur: Ah! They are good equivalents perkins! Just press the power button in servive and direct, without touching anything, the sound is more dj sypatique, warmer ... It is a joy handle. With a, even garish ways are less aggressive ...
My rating: 10.
I received the beautiful month of January.
What I like:
Pramps them and quas
-Output FireWire card and dirrectes optional.
Routing-options plutt many for this type of console
The micro-talkback really too sensitive
- I would have AIM have a small switch that allows me to choose to record tracks with and without equivalents.
- Able to route the signal from the FW card and tape in to the auxiliary dparts
Go, I put a 9 because of all And because the perfect is not of this world (has to know ...) But it's a console that's worth the money, the FireWire option c ' gniale is really small world and all its place in the heart of my config in home studio as live. I do not really regret having bought.
16 mono inputs
EQ switchable Perkins ("old") 4 strips of two semi-medium paramtriques
6 dparts individually selectable auxiliary pre / post fader
4 subgroups with trust or not to mix LR
Solo slctionnable pre / post fader
Talkback section of well thought
This console is rack but what it is deep ...
We'll play it simple: it's a killer ...
There's that see all the features and look at the price APRS: Yeah, when even!
- The manual I see too much they can say more ... It can be download on the site www.mackie.com
- The routing, in relation to this amazing price range.
- Buttons: There's a small white bar at the bottom of the button makes case for whether the button is pressed or not, and that led to features such as 48 V, AFL, ...
- Colors: ide what this brilliant color choices ... Dj's beautiful (which changes nothing except the pleasure of puff above) but more practical: a background color in each section (gain, EQ, aux, routing).
Trs is visual, you know right away or we're going.
The equalizer knobs are blue and white (very discernible, which is not the case for all tables that have all too often the colors of knobs that are too similar in the dark)
- The potentiomtres: I read in some sort of magazine that franais knobs enjoyable n'taient not handle ... I do not agree at all: it slides well, smooth ...
It seems that they have two months to develop these knobs (they have that in a fouttre Mackie?), But Greg Mackie is attached so good ... We will not complain!
Everything is as good ergonomics dtail but work can work more effectively.
- Onyx interface (optional): A 16 to 450 tracks, which could be better? FireWire (mobile use, live recording ,...), intgre the table (space saving ),...
on the other hand, no way to route as you want (sending the sound card is APRS insert and before the equalizer)
And only two return tracks magntos: shame, but should not ask too much either.
- Fader 60mm: shame ... On ct bf is super deep (16U) but I think for the equalizer they could work out by putting potentiomtres double crown for mediums.
- Trs profound will integrate its not always easy working environment but the price to pay for all these functions on an analog (and numrique, with page-up, page-down is far from being practical)
The score of 10 is that I put into perspective with the price range.
- Breath: What is a?
- The Onyx mic prampli: Good point. It's OK. In the CATEGORY of "transparent", they transcribe very dynamics of the signal returned to them. The bottom is relatively large, high Dfine well. They will never "wonders" as could the DDIS pramplis high-end, but his job will do well in all circumstances. You can count on it.
Only default, not a standard gain (60 dB) but more than enough for normal applications (less atmosphere to capture low trs, but it will pay the price) with a limit too, and a logarithmic breath appears to 3 / 4 of the race. Area that we explore only rarely trs signals "music"
- The equalizer Perkins: Right. Trs efficient and enjoyable. It is good, trs musical and leaves much to use. Little we know or turn the right button, a direct sound with a warmth that my computer will hardly get out.
I redcouvre mixing analog (and happiness).
Bypass also very practical (it is sometimes the best of all rglages ... lol)
The score of 10 is that I put into perspective with the price range.
I use it since it came out ...
The default is trs trs redhibitory far from being given the features and price.
I tried other models, but I think sincrement that it has no competition.
Otherwise, Allen & Heath with their Wizard3 dfendent is well (multi-purpose Intgr but the Onyx is more functional and better sound (personal opinion).
I am fully satisfied, I found the report qualitprix amazing and given the reliability and solid Mackie, this does not m'tonnerait that make a card table ...
They released the larger tables (24 and 32 tracks) with an 8 to prampli amlior and 100mm faders.
In an environment small / medium studio or sound, these consoles have a future ...
In a professional field, they are not ashamed if we did not put a ct SSL or other Amek (but compare what is comparable)
I'm trying to get me my little studio, and this table is aptly rle "Heart of my config".
I put 10 because of my views, I am more than fully satisfied.