or
Create an account

or

Thread interferance

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 interferance
Hey guys, I need advice on an issue I have with recording vocals. I am using a cheap shure 58 I picked up a few months ago but I'm getting some kind of interferance. I don't have a soundcard yet, am running straight from the onboard sound. Instruments come through cleanly be they recorded via an amp or just using cab simulation via my boss fx unit. But every vocal attempt has this buzzing distortion.

These are things I have tried to isolate the problem:

Tried mike on both desktop and laptop computers
run through amp and fx unit to see if I just need a pre-amp
experimented with distance from computer to see if distortion was limited or affected.

None of this stuff worked. I am yet to try using my 20watt amp as preamp into my laptop, but I doubt that will make a difference. It is a guitar amp but the mike comes through cleanly, it is only when recorded does the interferance arise. I also plan to take the mike into where I bought it to see if it works with their gear.

Software I'm using is cool edit pro 2.1 (pre adobe version) but I have also tried with simple MS sound recorder when trouble shooting with exactly the same problem. I have recorded vox successfully before with my old computer, using SB live card and different mike.

I basically see several expensive solutions if it is not a faulty microphone causing the problem. I can buy a digital 4/8 track for vocals only (Fun but expensive) a soundcard with analogue interface (prolly cheaper than digi recorder), a tube preamp (fun but I'm almost certain this will have no effect) or i can just cut my head off. I mean the problem may even be the mike lead, but I've only got the one!!! It could also be from other equipment in the area, but it is a continuous buzzing and not the typical digital interferance with I always thought was more sporadic.

Anyone suffered this klind of thing? Could something like a rooftop antennae or some other thing be the cause? I'm a student so minimising expense is my priority, don't want a soundcard etc unless I absolutely need it. Any comments ideas or questions will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

%1$s a écrit Hey guys, I need advice on an issue I have with recording vocals. I am using a cheap shure 58 I picked up a few months ago but I'm getting some kind of interferance. I don't have a soundcard yet, am running straight from the onboard sound. Instruments come through cleanly be they recorded via an amp or just using cab simulation via my boss fx unit. But every vocal attempt has this buzzing distortion.

These are things I have tried to isolate the problem:

Tried mike on both desktop and laptop computers
run through amp and fx unit to see if I just need a pre-amp
experimented with distance from computer to see if distortion was limited or affected.

None of this stuff worked. I am yet to try using my 20watt amp as preamp into my laptop, but I doubt that will make a difference. It is a guitar amp but the mike comes through cleanly, it is only when recorded does the interferance arise. I also plan to take the mike into where I bought it to see if it works with their gear.

Software I'm using is cool edit pro 2.1 (pre adobe version) but I have also tried with simple MS sound recorder when trouble shooting with exactly the same problem. I have recorded vox successfully before with my old computer, using SB live card and different mike.

I basically see several expensive solutions if it is not a faulty microphone causing the problem. I can buy a digital 4/8 track for vocals only (Fun but expensive) a soundcard with analogue interface (prolly cheaper than digi recorder), a tube preamp (fun but I'm almost certain this will have no effect) or i can just cut my head off. I mean the problem may even be the mike lead, but I've only got the one!!! It could also be from other equipment in the area, but it is a continuous buzzing and not the typical digital interferance with I always thought was more sporadic.

Anyone suffered this klind of thing? Could something like a rooftop antennae or some other thing be the cause? I'm a student so minimising expense is my priority, don't want a soundcard etc unless I absolutely need it. Any comments ideas or questions will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

...um...I don't know...maybe pray about it...

%1$s a écrit ...um...I don't know...maybe pray about it...

well that was worth the wait...:rolleyes:
So if you mic your guitar amp and record it, it sounds ok, but if you sing into the same mic without changine anything, you get interference?
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD

%1$s a écrit So if you mic your guitar amp and record it, it sounds ok, but if you sing into the same mic without changine anything, you get interference?

haven't tried micing the amp, only using it as preamp. I have recently bought a zoom 8 track but haven't had time to play with it yet, hopefully all will work with that. It's got an in-built preamp and eq so I can at least modify the sound before it goes to track a bit better than the setup described earlier.
I also took the mic back to the retailer and it worked on their gear, I guess my cannon-jack lead may even be the problem...