or
Create an account

or

Thread snap, crackle and pop

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 snap, crackle and pop
when I'm trying to record drums, I keep getting a crackling over the recording. I think it's something to do with the buffer size/multiplier or something, but I can't find any settings that give me no crackling. it's not clipping. If I put the buffer size up too high, I get too much crackling, if I put it too low, the recording quality is minimal and there is still some crackling. anybody got any ideas?
Hmm- well, I know next to nothing about Macs, but let me make a few general observations:

Crackling and popping in a digital recording generally comes from one of two things: clipping or timing issues. If you're sure it's just the drums (not, say, vocals or guitar), then I would suspect some kind of clipping because drums are loud and have very strong attack transients. I would not rely on a meter display to check this, I would look closely at the wave forms.

If the noise is present on everything you record (and you've checked your recorded levels carefully), then it is probably a timing issue. This could be a buffer issue, or it could be a resource issue. Since you've tried adjusting your buffer size, I'd lok at resources or timing with the firewire port.

But don't forget my first point- if it's ONLY with the drums and no other instrument, then the problem is most likely with the way you're recording the drums, not your computer setup.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Is it only drums? Or is it when you record anything? What is your setup?
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
well the crackling comes from only the drums, but sometimes when I try to record drums at the same time as something else, I get this even weirder sound, a bit like when the buffer is too high. my set up is drum mics into a preamp, into an Edirol FA-101 interface and into my mac into Digital Performer.