or
Create an account

or

Thread Anyone can give a opinion about my equipament? Help me plz.

• 8 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Anyone can give a opinion about my equipament? Help me plz.
Hello to everyone. First of all, thank you for joining this topic, it automatically means that you are able or at least interested for helping me or just to read some information that might be useful for you.
Ok, here we go. I was wondering to purchase a M-Audio Audiophile 192, it is up to 24-bit/192kHz audio card and it has 64-bit driver support for Windows. Also I need a mixer, and I am pretty interested in this Behringer Eurorack UB1622FX Pro. It has a integrated 24-bit digital stereo FX processor and 4 IMPs.
My deadly doubt is: Is it a good recording system (I'll be using Cakewalk) for a rock band (some similiarity with Queens Of Stone Age)? Live and separeted recording.
In some time (I hope 'til the end of this year) I will prolly buy a pre-amp for guitars mainly. I am thinking about M-Audio's TAMPA.
Please feel free to make any sort of comment or suggestion. In the level of knowledge I have about mixing and recording, every new information is essential for me. If you do have any suggestion about another equipament I should use, please let me know about it.
For last, I hope that it is easy to understand what I really mean because I am not an English native speaker.
Thanks.
The 192 only has two analog inputs, so you're gonna have a hard time recording a band more than one instrument at a time. I don't know what your microphone situation is, but just the drums usually require many. You'd have to mix down to 1 or 2 tracks anything you'd be recording.

The Behringer's pre-amps are probably on the low-end of quality. Also, unless you're using it in a live situation I don't think you need the on-board effects.

I think you'd get better results with just a firewire device. For a bit more money total you could get more analog inputs.
My main intention is to record separated, one instrument at time.
About the mics, the ones I have sucks but I will surelly get some aks but for that, I need money and it requires some time lol.
I was reading some stuff and I really liked this Behringer UB2442FX-PRO Eurorack Mixer with FX do you know it?

So you think it is more reliable to get a M-Audio Delta 10/10LT than a Audiophile 192?
You have any firewire in mind that's under 600 bucks?
I'd be really glad if you suggest me a system with a firewire.
Thanks mate!
:)
ronaz-

I'm using the exact Behringer mixer you mentioned and a Delta 1010 in my studio (not the LT version, however). I like the combination alot. The mic pre's on the Behringer sound pretty good to me. Lot's of good signal routing options. I don't use the on board effects. They aren't all that great (they're just ok), and, for recording, plug ins are the way to go.

Johnny is right about the "whole band" verses "track at a time" setup. For a whole band setup with live drums, you'd probably need at least 10 channels worth of analog inputs on your sound card(s), and you'd need a computer and software capable of recording that much audio at once. Probably well outside the price range you mentioned.

So far as the Firewire idea, if you PC is a desktop, I'd probably stick with a PCI card. If you're just going to go with "track at a time", I'd recommend the Audiophile 2496 PCI card. Great sound, good price Software wise, I'm using Cakewalk Home Studio 2 XL and I like it a lot.

Good luck!
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Thanks a lot guys! You really helped me!
I will stick with the Behringer. Now I don't know between delta 10/10 or the audiophile. Damn...
For recording the drums as well would you chose delta 10/10 or audiophile?
Wich of them has general better sound quality?
Well, live drums are a problem. You'll need at least 5 mics (kick, snare, HH, and an overhead pair for the cymbals/toms). Those would go to your mixer, where you would create a submix that you would record as a stereo pair. The problem is that you can't alter the drums individually once you do that. Plus you can't record anything else at the same time (well, you could get creative with the sub groups and the aux sends and may be squeeze a couple more mono sources out of it IF you get the Delta 1010).

I'd use drum loops for the recording. Your drummer would probably hate it, but it'd be a LOT easier and cheaper (and probably sound better, too! Recording drums can be tough....)
How many tracks I would be able to record at once with a Delta 10/10 by using the submix for the drums? I mean, the mixer has 12 channels right? Couldn't I use each channel for each mic then pass it to PC through PCI card? That's the main thing I still don't understand about recording and mixing. I am trully sorry about my ignorance, and I am actually asking this sort of thing so I can get through this.
I am also sorry for my unconcious misspeling and grammar mistakes, I am from Brazil and my English needs to be improved, such my recording skill (I DO HOPE IT HAPPENS REALLY SOON, THAT'S WHY I AM READING MANY THINGS AS POSSIBLE)
Thanks again mate.
God Bless ya!
ronaz-

Your English is just fine, my brother!! Better than a lot of Americans I know!!!

If you want to record a lot of tracks at once, then you need to have a mixer that'll do that as well as enough sound card inputs to handle them and a computer and software that is powerful enough to record all those inputs at once. Ideally, you would need a mixer that has individual outbputs on each channel strip in order to send each mic input to a seperate track. The Behringer you mentioned doesn't have this.

Look closely at the manual for the Behringer and the manual for the 1010lt, as well as the spec sheets for the mixer (it'll show you your signal routing options). Pay close attention to the number of mic inputs, the number of mono line inputs, and the number of stereo channels. With this combination, you can bus four mic inputs on the Behringer to a stereo pairand into the 1010, and there are two mic inputs on the 1010. OK, four drum mics mixed as a stereo pair on the ALt submix, one guitar track (mic'd) on the Aux send, and a scratch vocal track on the mains. That's it. You won't be able to adjust each drum sound individually once it's recorded, and you'll probably have to redo the vocals because of mic bleed.

To do a bunch of track live with drums and have it sound good, you need a mixer with individual outputs on each channel strip ($$) and a soundcard (likely two) with multiple line inputs. This is all way more dollars than you mentioned.

That is why I'm suggesting a "project studio" type approach like I use. Use loops for the drums (Betamonkey loops ROCK!!), then lay down a track or two of insturments at a time until you ahve your mix.
Thanks a lot Axeman! You kick ass! =]
You'd really helped me in my choice. I am now decided to spend more cash! =]
But the problem is mate: imagine a 200 dollars product, as I live in Brazil, I would have to import it to here, so let's do the math; 200 + 42(shipping)=242 +70%(US and BR taxes)=411 dollars. In Brazil, 1 dollar = 2,4 reais... so: 986 reais, and that's only for the sound card. My paycheck is around 1,220 reais and my college costs 870 reais! It will be a long time for me to get some money to buy the right setup...
I don't mind... as long as I'll be able to record some nice stuff!
Thanks again mate!
God bless you!