Create an account

or

Thread Multi Track Recording

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic Multi Track Recording
Hello,
I am the technical director for a small coffee house production that goes on twice a year. Every year we try to improve and this year we are looking to do a multi track recording in order to later master. In the past, we have recorded to stereo 2-track mix but then cannot master any of the levels.

SO...does anyone know the cheapest but best solution for doing a simple computer or non-computer based multi track recording? I don't need anything more then 8 tracks...maybe even 4.

Any solutions would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Chris
If you already own a computer (PC or MAC), this is certain you'd better choose a computer based recording solution. Firtst this is cheapest. You will not be limited for the number of tracl, and it's totaly evlutive for performances and features.
If you really don't need any options, you could try Cakewalk basics products.

Take a look to this topic, perhaps are you looking for the same things;
http://www.studioathome.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18

for prices you can take a look at this site

Last thing: do you have a corect sound card? And do you have a mixer, and mics ?
Thats awesome news. I think that I'm going to get the Cakewalk Home Studio. So this will allow me to simultaniously record 2, 3, 8 tracks depending on my input method...right? The current sound card that I have is just a regular stream sound card with a mini line in. Nothing fancy. I may have access to a 20-bit layla board though for the show. Would this communicate with the computer and allow me to record 8 tracks simultaniously? Other then the layla board, what other options do I have for input of multiple tracks?

Thanks for your help!
Chris

Quote: I may have access to a 20-bit layla board though for the show. Would this communicate with the computer and allow me to record 8 tracks simultaniously? Other then the layla board, what other options do I have for input of multiple tracks?

It should do it, but I would hesitate to use any kind of computer set up on a "pop in" basis. A computer workstation for recording can be a real bear to set up and configure, but if the card's not yours and you're just going to borrow it, make sure you give yourself plenty of lead time to put it in and get it working before the show (like a week).

On the other hand, it may work just fine on the first try. :rolleyes:
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Thanks for the advise.

I have purchased the Home Studio software and should be getting it in a few days. I think your advice on "pop in" trouble is good and have dicided to put off computer recording to the next show.

I was wondering if anyone though has good multitrack input device advise. Layla boards look real nice but I don't have the money. Also, is it possible to use something like a layla board to run the live show? For example, running your vocals into the comp, putting on some effects and then out of the comp into a power amp and through the mains. Is this possible?? Or do you need a mic pre-amp?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks for everything so far,
Ctoll