or
Create an account

or

Thread Recording Techniques

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Recording Techniques
Hello all! Well, as you may or may not know, i'm new here, but hope to be a regular!
I'm in my final yr at uni, and for my final yr project i'm creating an interactive CD exploring recording techniques! Its going well so far {but i better not speak too soon :P }
I'm going to be recording the violin shortly, then piano, and trumpet. i was just wondering if anyone had any tips on recording techniques? {not the text book stuff, as i'll be using them techniques anyway}
Things that maybe you have picked up maybe by trial and error, and descovered a good sound?!?
So....if anyone would like to share their techniques, i'll try them out in the studio and let u know how they turn out!
Thanks guys ;) [color=darkred][/color]
Hello Ciara!!

I'm experienced in guitar (elec/accoustic), drums, bass, vocals, acordion an piano recording.
What kind of informations are you looking for?
Well, generally microphone techniques, what types do you use?!
I am worried that i wont get a good sound from the piano, what mics would you use? and where would you place them?! {It is an upright piano}
I'm also recording drums, and there are many ways of rec them, as you know, in your opinion, what delivers the best result?! {looking for a rock sound from the drums}
Thanks! :)
For your upright piano I might try popping the top and aiming two omni's downward vertically, one left and one right, each about a third of the way toward the center and about six inches (or more) above the horizontal plane of the top of the cabinet. Phasing may come in to play, but that's when it gets fun... Good luck.

Quote: Well, generally microphone techniques, what types do you use?!
I am worried that i wont get a good sound from the piano, what mics would you use? and where would you place them?! {It is an upright piano}
I'm also recording drums, and there are many ways of rec them, as you know, in your opinion, what delivers the best result?! {looking for a rock sound from the drums}
Thanks! :)

As everybody ask the same questions about recording, we are preparing a big article whith photos and mp3 exmples. But it takes a lot of time, and it will not be ready until 3 weeks... We will place some part of this article before. I think the first parts will be piano and vocal ;-)