or
Create an account

or

Thread Recording drums as simple as possible with big results?

• 6 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
Sujet de la discussion Recording drums as simple as possible with big results?
Hello...
Is it possible to record a small drum kit with just a bass mic, snare mic and two overhead mics in a small room and get a big sound?
Thanks...

:rolleyes:
i know from experience that small drum kits esp. jazz drum kits for example sound great on recordings. as far as micing goes...i would say that as long as you use decent mics in a small DEAD room you can make your drums sound bigger than ever.... :D

Quote: Hello...
Is it possible to record a small drum kit with just a bass mic, snare mic and two overhead mics in a small room and get a big sound?
Thanks...

:rolleyes:

I'm working on an article about recording. I will detail that as soon as possible ;-)

But: if you aren't familiar with phase editing, EQ and compressor techniques, just take 2 overhead, and place it in front of your drum set...

If you want to record with more than 2 mics, you will have phase interferences... and I swear this is certainly one of the most difficult thing to solve when you mix the different tracks ;-)

This is true that it's better having a special mic for the kick... but in this case, don't forget to cut low frequencies on your overheads!!
Thanks guitarfrk99...

What do you suggest for 2 overheads/condencers mics, snare and bass?

I eventually want to record my drums to my mac and play them miked live...
What would suit me best... Mackie VLZ board or Presonus FirePod?

Thanks...
For the Overhead, depend if you just want to use them for studio applicatons or for live too?

Take a look at Rode NT5 overheads, https://www.zzounds.com/a--303779/item--AUT3031 or AKG 430
(audiotechnica is my favorite...)

For the snare, a SM57/SM58 is definitivly the best choice if you want to save some money ;-)

For the bass, I really apreciate Shure beta 52 and AKG D112

BUT... don't forget the preamp!!!! If you buy goo mics, take a good preamp... for that Presonus is certainly the best choice!!
Thanks Krowms...
Will the NEW Presonus Firepod have outs to plug into a main mixer board for live drums? It's very critical that my setup works for both basic home recording and live performances. :?
Krowms' reference to phase difficulties is an important one to keep in mind.
The short version: phase issues are pretty much based on the distances two (or more) mic's are from the source of sound. One upward sound wave at mic one combined with a downward wave at mic 2 (considered at the same moment in time) will cancel each other out to varying degrees. If you really wish to mic the bass drum separately, experiment with different mic placements and distances. Take your time and watch the meters. You will find a better/worse pattern emerge.
If moving the mic's isn't much of an option (live stage setting), you could experiment with a VERY short delay (single ms type of short) with no dry output and only a single repeat - this will have the same effect as pulling the mic back from the bass drum. Adjust the delay one ms at a time until you find a tone you are happy with and EQ from there.
Experiment and take notes... Hope this helps.