or
Create an account

or

Thread HOW DO I GET OPTIMAL RECORDING LEVELS WITH PC RECORDING

• 4 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
1 HOW DO I GET OPTIMAL RECORDING LEVELS WITH PC RECORDING
when I record into a program such as cakewalk or cooledit pro I cant seem to get even close to adequate overall levels that can even remotely compare to any comercial C.D.'s without severely clipping the master channels. this only occurs when I'm mixing multiple tracks (32 tracks).Is this an e.q. problem or a problem with the noise to signal ratio when recording my tracks. I've been plagued with this problem since I started computer based recording. I am recording everything through a preamp pluged into soundcard and using pc based drum machine with pre recorded samples.PLEEZ HELP MEEEE!!!!!!! :?
Hello, Capncark.
Your issue with "overall levels" is a tough bull to ride for a number of reasons.
Clipping is usually a result of peaks in the signal passing 0dB at some point in the track. Do you incorporate any compression in your mix? If you do, you need to work on the settings you use. Try a faster attack, a lower threshold with a little higher ratio, etc. If you don't use compression, you'll wonder how you got along without it. Be careful, though. Good compression can lift your perceived loudness nicely - bad compression can turn your mix into a boring moan.
Another thing to remember: Copy one track to another and play them both back together. You will see a 3dB boost in the output even if the two tracks are unchanged. Look for tracks in the mix that stack in this fashion. This may help since your problems are in the mixdown.
One last thing to try: If you have the Cakewalk VST adapter, you can use Insector (http://www.elementalaudio.com/products/inspector/index.html) in both Cakewalk and CEP. Inspector is FREE (adapter is not) and SO USEFUL for finding peak level/tone problems. Check it out. Good luck.
compression is a very good thing indeed.
you might also want to think about throwing some limiters on your tracks to squeeze out that extra volume without clipping. also you could boost the higher freq. in the main mix (adding air as they say) for ears tend to recognise a boosted high freq. as being louder. but be carefull with this as it is so easy to add too much.
thanks for the replys, I am using compression and my levels are close to perfect except in certain parts of the song I'm getting pops and clicks in the mix. is my attack time too slow?
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Keep in mind that commercial CD's go through the process of mastering. Louder is not necessarily better. That was the word of the day...