Jackson USA Custom Shop Dinky

All user reviews for the Jackson USA Custom Shop Dinky

STC-Shaped Guitar from Jackson belonging to the USA Custom Shop series.

• HatsubaiHatsubai

Exclusively made Jackson

Jackson USA Custom Shop DinkyPublished on 09/13/11 at 13:44
    I happened to stumble upon this during a trade in. It's a super rare Dinky, and I've actually never seen another one like it in person, yet I've seen this exact guitar in catalogs in the past. I'm not sure if it was produced in limited quantities or what. The guitar features a mahogany body with a quilted maple top, a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, 24 extra jumbo frets, offset dot inlays, an original floyd rose, HS configuration, one volume and a three way switch.

The first thing that pops out at you is the quilted maple top. It just looks crazy 3D. It had this super thick and deep look to it that puts other quilts to shame. We're talking about a top that would make even the guys at PRS jealous. The finish on this was top notch as well. The fretwork was pretty much perfect, and there isn't much you can fault this guitar for. The offset dots help add some extra class to it, but it kinda looks like it could use something a bit more to help draw attention to it. I would have probably liked to have seen ebony on this instead of the normal rosewood that's installed.

The guitar sounded great. In the bridge was a Duncan Custom, and in the neck was an SSL6. The Custom in the bridge was the perfect match for this guitar. The natural low end of the mahogany helped give the Custom some extra bass to keep everything nice and thick. The treble of the Custom itself also lent itself to being one of the most perfect tonal guitars I've ever heard. The SSL6 in the neck (which I don't think was stock) was great for that single coil tone. It's like a beefy SRV kinda tone, and it worked great for those single coil lines. It was also not super harsh like so many other singles out there. I kinda missed the in-between position though.

The guitar is quite a spectacle. It looks absolutely stunning, and even the guys from PRS, Suhr, etc would have been drooling over this top. It was really out of this world. The pickup configuration is fairly non standard, so be sure you enjoy the HS configuration before jumping into buying this, especially considering how much these things cost.