or
Create an account

or

Thread Glad i've found you, just gettin set up, mic advice?

• 5 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Glad i've found you, just gettin set up, mic advice?
AWESOME
i stumbled across this site while researching mics for my home studio. youve gotta love the internet.

Im 19 in Sydney, Australia been getting my set up together for a while now and playing around with a bit of recording and producing a bit of stuff in reason.

ive got a 16 channel mixing console, microKORG synth, Mbox2, Reason 3, Cubase, couple of guitars, a thrown together drum kit, a few crap dynamic vocal mics and a bunch of very musical and creative friends.

i'm at a point now where im looking to get me some decent condenser mics and get serious about recording and producing some music: mine, my mates, anything i can get stuck into.

What i want to buy is some good quality versatile mics that i can use for anything from micing up a drum kit to acoustic guitar to amped guitar to vocals etc...

Can anyone give me some advice on how i can acheive this without breaking the bank? what mics have you used that are affordable versatile and quality? ive been lookin at some rode mics i hear theyre quality and very good value. ive found a pair of rode matched nt5s for what seems to be a good price. are these worth my money. will they be versatile enough to get real low end sounds out of a kick drum?

Any advice will be greatly apreciated.
i hope this isn't too long for people to want to read

CHEERS
if you looking into getting a condenser mic, i would suggest an AT4040 (audio technica). very low coloration with a wide freq. response, so it is very versitile in the studio. its around $300.
if you need a dynamic mic, you cant go wrong with a SM57. studio standard on snares and guitar cabs. it will run you about $90.
now i wouldnt put either of these on a kick drum as the high spl will destroy the condenser and the sm57 isnt tailored for low freq reproduction. i would suggest an audix D6 or AKG D112 for this. its a matter of opinion as to which one will sound better.
what you have to remember is that everyone will have their fav. mic and tell you that its the way to go, but its up to you to do some research and personally try them out.
The Australian made RODE condenser mics are great. The higher end ones are expensive, but if you take care of them (ie: no moisture, dust), they'll last for years. They also have some lower models that are great if you're short of cash but care about what your acoustic guitars and vocals sound like. Good luck.

ckb
Thank you both for your advice, yesterday I went out and bought

-a RØDE NT1-A and
-a matched pair of RØDE NT5s

Expensive hobby this isnt it...

I Now have a bit of a problem with my mixer which i will post a new thread about in Mixing.
glad I could help. Sounds like you got yourself a great mic setup. I'm jealous!!!
Did anyone out there read my Edirol UA-25/PCR-1 quandry?