or
Create an account

or

Thread G4 laptop recording software/hardware

• 7 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic G4 laptop recording software/hardware
I'm interested in something with at least 8 xlr/line inputs, including software, like pro toolsLE or similar. I've checked out the MBox but it only has two intputs, not enough for recording a band live. I've looked at the Motu units, does anyone have one and how is it working for you?
I use the MBox and Pro Tools LE, but I also have a Fostex VF-160 that I use for exactly what you want to do. It has eight simultaneous recording channels (only two are XLR though). Most places have the VF-160 for less than $900 these days. It's a great value.
Mark of the Unicorn has the reputation of making the best pro soundcards for mac users. Most of their models have at least 8 inputs.
Vheck them out at https://www.motu.com
want to buy a laptop wanted to wait for g5...but i guess it is better to have than wait...i read reviews about motu that said it was unstable and that the warranty only lasts 90 days for a reason.

what is the best recording setup, and will i be ok on a g4 powerbook if i get a gig of ram... could i even do it on an i book, or is the bus speed worth it on a powerbook...is it better to do audio with a 17 inch?
jeremy
I think that fundamentally, the best bet would be to go with the Pro Tools LE software, however, I use Motu DP4 on my G5 and G4 Powerbook. I have never noticed it to be unstable in any way. Just don't adjust your system clock in the middle of a session or unplug your I/O box, the stuff you should know not to do. I love my MOTU rig, I have 3 896's that all work flawlessly on both my computers. As for the powerbook versus ibook. I would go for the bus speed on the powerbook. There is nothing that says that it won't work on an ibook though. And the 90 day warranty doesn't matter. The tech support doesn't expire and they are super helpful. They sent my 3 new install CD's and a new firewire cable simply after asking. I feel protool is a bit overpriced for what you get out of the mbox. I hope that helps.
Also I heard Logic has much better guitar amplifier sounds that it comes with- a whole amp modeling system- and that protools comes with a few but the yarent good at all- and you have to pay tons to keep up, and a lot each month - is it true that logic is the best out there since logic 7 came out with the amp modeling and stuff?
And What exactly do I need to do if i buy a motu to make sure i dont have problems with it, i didnt know youshouldnt unplug it whenever you want...if you read the reviews on musiciansfriend.com or it might have been samash.com, you have to click to see all revirews- and it says that people had problems with the motu after 2 weeks or more...Is this not your finding? And also why should i get the 896- what is better about the 896 as opposed to the 828, and if im using a laptop with 5400 rpm should i get an external firewire drive and run it directly off that?
Jeremy
Logic seems to only really do well with electronic music, not if you're attempting to record, where as DP4 has the electronic features as well. I like the 896 because of the built in pre-amps on each of the 8 inputs, but there is nothing wrong with the 828. Logics sounds are good in modeling, but I think Ampfarm for Protools is better. I use native intruments Guitar Rig. It sounds really great despite some strange reviews I have read about it. I don't know that I have ever seen any of the problems that people talk about in there reviews. And lastly, the absolute slowest speed should be 7200rpm. Any external firewire is a nice solution. The Glyphs are nice, an RACKMOUNTABLE!!!!! I have used several different types with no problems, including Glyph, Lacie, and Q Logic Quest.

Quote: Also I heard Logic has much better guitar amplifier sounds that it comes with- a whole amp modeling system- and that protools comes with a few but the yarent good at all- and you have to pay tons to keep up, and a lot each month - is it true that logic is the best out there since logic 7 came out with the amp modeling and stuff?
And What exactly do I need to do if i buy a motu to make sure i dont have problems with it, i didnt know youshouldnt unplug it whenever you want...if you read the reviews on musiciansfriend.com or it might have been samash.com, you have to click to see all revirews- and it says that people had problems with the motu after 2 weeks or more...Is this not your finding? And also why should i get the 896- what is better about the 896 as opposed to the 828, and if im using a laptop with 5400 rpm should i get an external firewire drive and run it directly off that?
Jeremy

As a note, never run your recording software off of an external hard drive. Just set the external as the scratch hard drive for your program. You'll have nasty latency otherwise.