Create an account

or

Thread free software for free music

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 free software for free music
means: free as in libre

i am working on building a LINUX AUDIO WORKSTATION based on affordable PC_Hardware and GNU-Software.

right now i am about to compile ARDOUR beta09 - Paul Davis Realtime-No-Limit-Pro-Harddiskrecordingsuite.

I have some 12 Years of Experience in Home/Studiorecording and work on Linux-Audio for 2 Years now.

HD-Recording i in a somewhat hmmm... embryonic State in LINUX means: there are shapes of great things to come (professional HD-Recording with open, free, no-charge - Programms etc) but most stuff is not really stable yet.

At the other hand ther is astounding stuff out ther recently:

- alsa - drivers plus JACK_Audioserver provides better Support for Audiocards than the original VendorDrivers for Win32 (Infinite channels at the same time, latency about 20ms etc)
- flexibility unknown from propriatary progs (most synths/FX can be merged at runtime to create never-before-heard sounds etc)
- great synths

I introduce everybody out there to share my experience/knowledge and to have a look at LINUX-Audio.

see ya...
I am also working on a Linux sound Recording environment. I used to be a big fan of RedHat, so now I am using Fedora Core 1. Initially, Fedora lacked multimedia support, but a little searching around and I was back on track. I had to patch xmms to be able to play mp3s and I installed mplayer to play movies. I also had problems adjusting my audio levels, but that was solved by a gkrellm plugin. Still looking for a great equivalent of windows 'volume control' though. I started out using muse software for a multitrack recording suite. It was a dependency nightmare, but since I was using Fedora, I was able to find the necessary RPMs. I still have not gotten it to record off my SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum EX. Has anyone has luck with this setup? I am hoping to try Ardour tonight though. Anything I should be warned about beforehand? I hope to hear more thoughts about linux in the recording world.
Greetings from Ireland,
I am currently doing my thesis project on multiple-channel audio capture in Linux using FireWire, so I would be interested if you know of any app's or FireWire hardware that are compatible with Linux. I am running RH 7.3 with ALSA sound driver but I seem to be having problems with compiling Ardour. I am new to Linux (4 months) so if you could think of something I need to do in order to get Ardour working i would respect that.
If your interested take a look at my website to see what exactly I am doing in my project.

later,
Robbie