or
Create an account

or

Thread ideas on setting up a room for recording

• 7 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 ideas on setting up a room for recording
does anyone have any ideas on setting up a room for recording? anything like soundproofing or improving the acoustical value of a room would be a big help. thanks.

papasauls
if you read magazines, the march issue of "recording" has a special on studio acoustics.....

ill post if i learn anything :lol:
Hi,
the room where you have your monitor and mixing desk should be 50 % absorbing and 50% reflecting material, more or less.
That's the general idea about eliminating waves, especially standing waves. And for frequency's under the 250 htz you need to put basstraps in the corners.The high corners are more important than the lower ones.
All this is about reflections and how your room will sound, so this is not about soundproofing.
It's too complex to explain in a few lines.
Look on the net under soundproof, room acoustics, insulation, sound recording etc......
www.recording.org is a pro recording site, there you will find answers to your questions. Wether you are pro or not! Waves are waves and you'll have to deal with them, if music is your concern.
kind regards
chris at www.tsunamimusic.be
march issue of recording, i'll check it out. thanks revrb.
now, pax, where should the absorbing material and the reflecting material be located? and does the entire room need to be acoustically treated to be effective or can i just focus on a few key areas? thanks for the help and the websites. i'll check them out.

papasauls
What to use depends on the room shape.
Front, back and side walls are to be treated patchwork style, absorbing-reflecting.You can't do nothing wrong with this system.If there's still to much live in the room, put absorbing material just above the monitors on the ceiling, say 1 meter or 3 ft of length into the direction the speakers beam.check this out by claping your hands to hear if reverb is audible or not.
This allready will improve the room acoustics severely.
Foam with tops( hope this is the right word, but i think you know what I mean) is a good absorber for mids and hights.Carpet could be used as well
When it comes to the lower frequency range, under the 250 htz, you'll need basstraps, for instance thick foam blocs in the 2 corners against the ceiling, also into the beam direction of the monitors, this to absorb standing waves caused by the lower frequency range.
As I said before it all depends on the room shape and size.
You can find a more detailed explanation on the net, but this is allready
the general idea.
regards
also supposedly you can do a test where a friend holds a mirror and moves it around along the wall, and you sit where would monitor, and if you can see the speakers in the reflection from your monitor position, thats where you would place foam or whatever you like to use...

im still reading... ;)
Hey big brother is watching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But it proves this is a great site.
There's no point in having knowledge and not willing to share it with others.
See you guys
thanks again you guys. you're a great help. i can't wait to get everything set up and start hearing my work. hopefully someone else will want to hear it too! :D the neighbors in particular! thanks again!

papasauls