or

Thread Drummer's Recording Needs

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Drummer's Recording Needs
DPS24 or another route?

MY EXPERIENCE

I'm a songwriting drummer (is this possible?) with acoustic and electronic drums/percussion, a couple synths and a guitar. I currently own NO recording equipment, microphones, cables, effects, etc....

I have NO hands on experience recording, mixing or mastering except for time with an Alesis 8 Track ADAT (hit record and play kind of thing). All of my recording experience has been in other people's studios with them doing all the work for me (and of course, I never paid attention). I hit my drums, they did the rest.

MY MAIN NEEDS:

-I want at least 8 (actually more) xlr inputs to record an entire acoustic drumkit.

-I want to record all of my instruments with the highest quality possible. Looking to create professional CDs.

-I want whatever I buy (a digital workstation, a recorder & board, whatever) to be ready to go out of the box (plug them in, hook up the cables & mics and go at it).

-I'm not overly anxious about mixing and mastering. I'm a musician/artist. I have no desire to be an engineer. If it's friendly, I'd be glad to do it though. (especially if it saves me money and time).

MY FEARS:

(Contrary to what my friends say) I'm not an idiot, but I really fear the DPS24 and other machines like it. Is this way too much for a guy new to self-recording? I'm pretty quick with a PC and I've done a fair job diving into my e-drum sound module...but this DPS24 forum and my time researching the unit has really got me thinking twice.

MY CHOICES:

-Suck it up and get the AKAI. Expect a large learning curve and make it work for me

-Get an Alesis HD24 and a board. Record everything to the best of my ability at home and then take the removable hard drive to someone more talented (real studio).

-What else do YOU recommend?

MY BUDGET

I would like to keep my entire purchase under $4000. Remember I need a recording unit, microphones, cables, some type of monitoring system...what else would I need to have my studio in one purchase?

I saw that Musicians Friends had a package deal with "everything you need". Is this ok? Cheesy?

I welcome any and all ideas. You have a GREAT community here. You are very lucky DPS24 users!

Thanks!
-I Hit Stuff
I recommend you delta 10/10 souncard. (maudio) It has 10 inputs and 10 outputs. I recommend you cubase program for pc. You can do all mixiing and mastering with it. I don't know about mics becouse I do my drums with computer.