Alesis Fusion 6HD
Alesis Fusion 6HD
Deweak Deweak
Published on 12/02/06 at 15:20
- What type of keyboard (synth, piano ...)? How many octaves?
5 octave, touch, high-quality synthetic

- What controllers (pitch, modulation, sustain ...)?
The pitch bend and modulation are backlit in blue :-)
Three pedals: Sustain, switch, controller

- What connection (Audio, MIDI, Pedal ...)?
Outputs: two symmetrical pairs jacks, an ADAT port, an S / PDIF coaxial
Input: a pair of jacks with adjustable gain symmetrical for sampling, plus 8 other jacks for multi-system (individually adjustable gain menu)

- How many sounds, effects? What styles? Are they edited?
Not bad effects of good quality, an unlimited number of sounds as it is stored on the hard disk. The edition is very comprehensive.

- Via a utility Mac / PC?
Free software (FusionConvertor) to retrieve samples in Akai format, Wave, AIFF, soundfont. But there is no editor software.

- What is polyphony? ...
Varies according to the synthesis engine used: 272 votes for an oscillator sampling (there may be 4 by sound), FM 240 votes, 140 votes in VA, 60 and 48 votes for the two physical models.

I do not put that 9 because there is no digital input or microphone input, which would have really made the Fusion independently.

- The general configuration is it simple?
The PC hard disk is formatted, it is accessible from a computer when the USB cable is plugged Fusion.

Editing sounds and effects is it easy?
The feature tree is logical and sound. This machine is really designed as a PC, learning is quick.

- The manual is clear and sufficient? ...
It allows to side, nothing more. We are far from what Roland offers. Here no such practical functions are covered, but not really explained. Fortunately, tutorials are available on the Alesis site. on the other hand they could be included in the base package of the synth.

9 / 10 because of the general manual

- The sounds they are suitable to your style of music?
Absolutely! 4 types of synthesis are not there for show: each has its own characteristics. The Fusion is a true chameleon of sound.

- Are they realistic?
May be less than the competition, but realistic or not, the bottom line is they sound!

- The effects are they effective and responsive?
There&#39;s something for everyone: amp simulators, slicer, tithe, leslie ... Good quality overall. The reverbs are excellent.

- The expression is good? (Response to velocity, aftertouch to)?
This is the best keyboard 61 keys that I have now. The velocity sensitivity is very good (and widely configurable). The aftertouch requires significant pressure, which makes it less accurate than on my Z1, for example. I have the impression of an "on / off" but usually I am doing that myself.

- What are the sounds you prefer, you hate ...?
Genesis fan, I was delighted to find in banks Hollow Sun sounds Emulator II, Mellotron and other vintage keyboards :-) The "Holy Grail Piano" is nice, but I find that my Kurzweil sounds a bit better. I have not tested on stage or in a mix, maybe it will become clearer.

[edit] In a discussion with the creator of the Hollow Sun banks, it told me he was big fan of Genesis in the early (and he even made the backline to install keyboards Tony Banks on stage). This confirms my impressions :-)

Overall the Fusion has excellent sound, not always realistic but decidedly pro. I did not find any rotten sound, everything seems exploitable. Banks Hollow Sun are really a plus, sound equipment available is super wide (there was even a collection of samples of dictation Magic ...).

And with the sampler and the import of bran is not limited by a fixed ROM or expansion cards at exorbitant price (is not it Mr R. ..)

- How long have you use it?
48 hours of happiness :-) I made several times around all the sounds and trying to explore all the menus and functions. I still work two days but I opened the manual once.

- What is so special that you like most and least?
At the very least, I would say the dial and knobs. They work well but seem fragile, especially in regard to the dial (which is always asked during editing).

For the most difficult to make a choice :-) I like the format very compact (less than a meter long, 13kgs for a very complete machine). I love the concept of multi-synthesis synth / sampler / sequencer and audio recorder AFTERNOON. I like the feel of the keyboard, which reminds me of WSA1: flexible, precise. It allows a very fast paced and does not reveal tiring.

Above all, I like the sound of this synth! There are no metal side and no breath sounds may be hot or crystal, the dynamics are very good, the range covered is very broad.

- Have you tried many other models before buying it?
Voui :-) I have at home several synths (Korg Wavestation EX and Z1, Roland JD-990, Juno-2, MC-505 and DJ-70, Kurzweil PC1x) and I owned in the past one-JD 800 and a Technics WSA-1.

- How would you rate the quality / price?
Unbeatable. For 1130 euros including shipping, this synth will allow me to leave the stage quietly, leaving three keyboards at home. Before I decided to take a workstation, my config was scenic, two keyboards, a VR-800 for my audio + 01v sequences for premix / keyboards. The Fusion can replace all these devices, while taking in the trunk of my car with a small amp!

- With experience, you do again this choice? ...
I wonder why I had not thought of before! 13kg and 90cm for a complete and compact config live, what more? I do not know if currently there is a machine that can compete with the Fusion.