Korg Krome 88
Korg Krome 88

Workstation from Korg belonging to the Krome series.

DEEJAY MY'Z DEEJAY MY'Z

« KORG KROME? ... THE KLASSE! »

Published on 01/21/14 at 18:29
Audience: Beginners
After the release of KRONOS, Korg decided to leave the Krome, a more affordable version, but not necessarily at the expense of quality. And yet having had a very disappointing Korg M50, I remained on my guard unpacking my card.

At first glance the Krome is very elegant with its facade "Kromée" very modern look with its small white LEDs on black background ... it looks pretty good. The lighting is a bit dodgy with an ON / OFF bonton which has no resistance, better not to have cables, which could turn off the Krome unintentionally.
An eye on the touch screen at startup .. it does with the wide color screen 16:9 so beautiful effect.

There are three main methods:

- The Program mode lists all the sounds of Krome plants, they can play with the DRUM mode to launch a combo among an impressive list of beat patterns, sounds and paterns and arpeggios are editable.
- The Combi mode that allows you to give ideas for sequencing or prepare a Live or find its combination of ... 16 sounds or distribution superimposed on the keyboard.
- The SEQ mode is séqueceur where you can record a song.

For the rest of the features I filled the datasheet.

The ergonomics of Krome has been improved compared to the M50, all controls are at your fingertips for the rest no change from Korg. The touch screen is quite responsive but big fingers you need a stylus for more precision. Color offers an exellent visibility of menus OS which has always been the strong point of Korg. Adding small illustrations PROGRAM mode makes everything a little more fun and class. These are small details but make you enjoy browsing. There are several ways to interact with the settings or find a particular sound.

The main novelty lies in the sequencer tracks and where the notes are modeled and modified to perfection ... a bit like a PC logiel ... and it is very successful and practical. I would have liked a microphone input or audio track to place a voice or instrument.

For editing programs, of Drums (patterns) and combis is more or less the same process and so for those who have had Korgs is even more fun with color ... for new small it remains the most aborable workstation on the market. There is also a PC and MAC even if the widescreen allows you to interact in many settings editor. Moreover, the smaller, is the French explanatory DVD that allows you to become familiar with the various functions ... I just would have liked a more comprehensive section on the effects and sounds editions but there is no bad vocabulary for beginners synthesis and so it remains interesting to visioner and a little cooler than a book in black and white.

To touch Korg Krome 88, I was afraid to have cheap compared to RH3 KRONOS or SV1 but the output it is strongly approaching and it is rather nice touches malgrès slamming (rarely). No worries keyboard, I think the first versions of Kronos.

Returned to the heart of the beast ... the sounds. To start the sound level is powerful at the amplification of very good quality. On the other hand finished the loss of sound recording, as I said at the beginning, I had a very short time a Korg M50 and so the comparison is more meaningful to me advantage. Finally finished as bugs and bottlenecks OS is very fluid.

What motivated me to purchase the Krome is the famous Piano sample from the KRONOS and I must say it is beautiful, I had a Yamaha DGX 640 Digital Piano and I have more sound sensations the Krome. Piano "German" is not bad also.
For electric pianos as usual it takes a small crop. Rhodes is good even if the dirty sound is not so simple compared to Kronos or SV1. Conclusion ... the piano level, there is nothing to say ... the concurrency for this budget is not better.

For other acoustic sounds, guitars ... I&#39;ll be blunt ... it will average to zero ... in any case it is far from the quality of yamaha motif ... but I had 3 korgs I&#39;ve never found realistic guitars.
Instruments violins winds, brass ... it&#39;s a bit the same inclination is slamming round but not very usable.
Bass are often like the Korg, very present, powerful and very fat, very low acoustic, I would have preferred a little more bass vintage typed, but hey it is relatively simple to edit.

For the synth part, I think a little Korg revised its copy from the M50 which was a bank Sythe not terrible. With the Krome is a bit more varied, more current ... alot of direct sound sounds, which makes very interesting issue. There are quite a few pouraves sounds good but it needs work with Alesis Fusion 6HD excellent in comparison, Pads and motion are deep, the Elektros sounds are modern ... in one week I could make all of GNI modern electro, funk 80&#39;s or compound Jazzy Soul boosted by very good effects.

Finally, with regard to all the sounds and after long hesitation with Yamaha MOXF8, I fell for acoustic pianos and originality of the synth part. I also stated that the Krome is very typical Hip Hop, RNB, Soul Elektro ... this is exactly what I wanted.

In the end I was very surprised at the quality of KROME 88. Having had some Workstation (KORG, YAMAHA, Alesis), the KROME is exactly pretty much what I expected a buget located just over 1500euros for the 88 notes. 2.3 lacks things like a sampler, an input for another synth or microphone, an audio track sequencer (The absence of the Karma system problem for me), better ON / OFF...Mais if accounts is done at the end ... the little details like the large color screen, the attention to appearance, the new sequencer, the piano sounds, synth bank revised upwards, the small French DVD. Korg Krome .. make a great workstation and a truly unbeatable value for money. I did not necessarily want to invest a Korg Kronos which costs twice as much and I would use 40% or a 88 Korg Kross makes vraimment bum for 1000th. I hesitated with a Yamaha MOXF8 but in Yam they should seriously consider fucking a color screen, it&#39;s still a big plus, there was the Roland Fantom G8 but hard to find in the budget well.

Korg Krome is entering a new dimension to tight budget, this opportunity is a case in OR, it Buge not, it does not heat, it is portable, it is shielded his level, all terrain This is beautiful ... in short the "KLASSE".