or
Create an account

or

Thread Windows DAW - Athlon 64bit, Athlon 32bit 800 fsb or P4 HT ??

• 2 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Windows DAW - Athlon 64bit, Athlon 32bit 800 fsb or P4 HT ??
Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I've been in on a forum chat so I thought it appropriate to re-introduce myself. I posted a hello message in the "Introduce Yourself" thread. Don't worry you are not seeing double.

My name is Joe or "JAC" and I record mostly acoustic music using an Athlon 850 32 bit PC with a MOTH mkII firewire. Software used in Cubase SX I and record all anolog instruments and mics.

Though this system has been a ROCK for me I'm in need of an upgrade on motherboard, processor and RAM to be able to take advantage of more VST, simultaneous tracks, etc. Currently I'm held up with a decision to go Athlon 64, Athlon (more robust 32) or P4 HT.

I am looking for advise as well as passing along my experience to those who may be interested in the results. I'll be making a decision this week so if anyone has anything to offer it would be much appreciated.

Ciao

JAC "Joe"
There is no need for 64 bit procesor, becouse software (Cubase) is not written for 64 bit procesors. It will work 32 bit. You 'll have to wait with 64 bit procesor for some time untill steinberg won' relese 64 bit cubase.
Manowar,
Was just reading literature on Steinberg's website relating that Cubase SX3 is the first to support some of the 64 bit architecture. The price between going 32 vs 64 is so minimal right now that I'm planning for the future. As part of the MSDN I will receive a copy of Windows 64 bit OS as it progresses.

I'm not particularly worried about having some features that will not be worthwhile right now. I'm a little more worried about whether or not they will cause trouble and are worth avoiding.

Just thinking that putting myself in 64 bit now may give me a longer shelf life before next update.

Puzzled ... scratching my head.

JAC