Martin & Co D-28

D-28, Dreadnought Steel String Guitar from Martin & Co in the Standard series.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Martin & Co D-28

Average Score:4.8( 4.8/5 based on 18 reviews )
 15 reviews83 %
 3 reviews17 %
stompboxjon06/12/2012

stompboxjon's review"great tone"

Martin & Co D-28
I have been messing around on the guitar for a long time now and have a pretty solid collection of guitars both acoustic and electric. I used to be conserned with more of the guitar’s looks when I was younger but that’s not the case anymore. I am now more consirned with the guitars ability to get the proper tone. I spend hours on hours sitting in a room that has concrete flooring in my basement playing because it really lets me hear the tone of the guitar better that way. The D 28 by Martin has allowed me to get that great tone almost every single time. It really is an amazing guitar and you must try to get your hands on it. Even if you cant afford it because it isn’t cheap you can always go down to guitar center and play with it and see if its something that you would want to own and then start saving the money to get it.

Yes, it is easy to get the last frets and the design and shape are perfect for me, but it may not be perfect for you. We all like our instruments to be as custom to us as possible to you will need to go try it out first like I said. Yes it is easy to get the sound you will love, there really arent too many other guitars that I own sound as good as this does.

Sounds amazing I love it and I always will. I play some blue grass and folk with it from time to time and it gets the sound perfect each time.

One thing that I didn’t like about this was the price tag. It really put a dent on my credit card, but it was worth it in the end. I have paid it off a long time ago and the good thing about it is it can still be sold for almost the same price I purchased it for which is always a great sign when you can resell your gear for a similar price to what you paid for it.
nickname00902/12/2012

nickname009's review

Solid Sitka spruce top
Black and white rosette
Black pickguard
X-bracing
Rosewood back and sides
Ebony fingerboard and bridge
Neck width at nut 1-11/16"
25.4" scale length
20 frets

Made in Nazareth, PA. It's a Martin, in fact, it's THE Martin. There's no messing with this, this is the original, the one and only!

Since it's THE original acoustic dreadnought guitar there isn't much in terms of body shape improvements or any new ergonomically designed features with the body or neck. It's your classic acoustic guitar body and neck.

First thing I like to do is put on a good set of strings. I've always hated the martin strings that come stock on the guitars, they're always dull and lifeless. I've also now recently seen that Martin strings up all their guitars with their lifespan extended life coated strings, why? Horrible idea if you ask me.

Just a plain set of daddarios would do me fine. After that, you get one of the biggest and most well known sounding acoustic guitar sounds ever. Martin guitars are known for having a certain warmth and huge low midrange that isn't found in other guitars. Other companies have of course built guitars based upon the Martin dread and still, only Martin has been able to achieve their signature sound. It's a HUGE sound, thick yet clear with lots of midrange and very warm.

It's the original! A Martin! Known for it's warmth and I love it. I can't get enough of it! I can't play any other guitar these days since I've laid my hands on this one! It's the sound in my head and it's the sound of many records over the past century that I've become accustomed to hearing. If you're looking for an all around good dreadnought acoustic guitar for the long haul with a great consistent sound, look no further! The D28 is tried and true!
King Loudness08/09/2011

King Loudness's review"The industry standard"

Martin & Co D-28
It is my opinion that the Martin D28 is one of the best acoustic guitars made in production today in the $2,000 price point. Martin has a long history of quality and innovation, and these guitars have stood the test of time by all means. The original D28s are highly coveted and expensive so this affordable reissue allows a wider market to acquire one of these venerable guitars. They're still made in the USA by CF Martin IV and his wonderful team.

It features a spruce top, East Indian rosewood back, sides and neck, and the common X bracing pattern that has become the standard for acoustic guitars over time. Here is the full list of specs:

MODEL D-28
CONSTRUCTION: Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint
BODY SIZE: D-14 Fret
TOP: Solid Sitka Spruce
ROSETTE: Style 28
TOP BRACING PATTERN: Standard ''X''
TOP BRACES: Solid Sitka Spruce 5/16''
BACK MATERIAL: Solid East Indian Rosewood
FINGERBOARD MATERIAL: Solid Black Ebony
SCALE LENGTH: 25.4''
# OF FRETS CLEAR: 14
# OF FRETS TOTAL: 20
FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT NUT: 1-11/16''
FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT 12TH FRET: 2-1/8''
FINGERBOARD POSITION INLAYS: Style 28
FINGERBOARD BINDING: none
FINISH BACK & SIDES: Polished Gloss
FINISH TOP: Polished Gloss ; Sunburst available at additional cost.
FINISH NECK: Satin
BRIDGE MATERIAL: Solid Black Ebony
BRIDGE STYLE: Belly
BRIDGE STRING SPACING: 2-1/8''
SADDLE: 16'' Radius/Compensated/Bone
TUNING MACHINES: Chrome Enclosed w/ Large Buttons
RECOMMENDED STRINGS: Martin SP Lifespan Phosphor Bronze Medium Gauge (MSP7200)
BRIDGE & END PINS: White w/ Black Dots
PICKGUARD: Black
CASE: 640 Molded
ELECTRONICS: Optional

The design of the D28 is quite good for bluegrass and country players who want a full and rich sounding dreadnought that sings for both strummed patterns as well as faster flatpicked lead lines. The ones I have tried are usually quite light for an acoustic and they sit very well on the body overall, which is great for a smaller person such as myself. These D28s sound great right out of the box and only get better as time goes on so getting a good sound is not an issue whatsoever. The upper fret access is not bad, but it doesn't have a cutaway, nor enough frets for it to be considered stellar.

The sound of the D28 is really an amazing thing. It is a very rich and full bodied instrument that I find to be very heavy in the midrange. This is excellent for lead lines and more of a modern tone overall I find. It's a little bit fuller sounding than the HD-28, but it lacks a little bit of that top end sparkle as well. I found that I preferred the D28 over the HD28 in a shootout, even though the HD28 was more expensive and was built to more of a vintage specification. If you're a serious acoustic player and HAVEN'T tried a D28... I'm not really sure how to respond. They're a must try for any guitarist because of their pure Martin sound!

All in all I think the D28 is just an amazing acoustic guitar. It does many styles well and the craftsmanship is second to none. I compared it with the D18 and HD28 and found it to be my favourite sounding model. There is a reason that so many of the great players have used a D28... to me it just embodies the dreadnought acoustic guitar at its best.
MGR/RWillie02/02/2009

MGR/RWillie's review"Martin D-28"

Martin & Co D-28
I am what they now call a "finger style" guitarist.

I purchase this guitar new in 1969 at Roxies in LaPorte Indiana for $325.00. I bought it because the Gibson B25 that I had was always drowned out when I jammed with others. Although the guitar always sounded great,for years I played with a capo at the second fret because it never felt as comfortable at the nut. A couple of years ago I had it professionally set up at a shop in Austin. Since then it's been like a new guitar and it's been a joy to play.

I have noticed the tone getting better and better as it gets older.

None that I can think of

The quality of the wood, workmanship and finish are excellent. I am not a professional musician but in the 39 years that I have owned this guitar it' been out and played regularly. Other than setting it up for lighter strings for finger style picking, this guitar has never needed repair.

Buying this guitar was one of the few decisions I made as a teenager that I have never regretted.

MGR/Guitarist Wannabee09/04/2006

MGR/Guitarist Wannabee's review"Martin D-28"

Hobby hacker since the 70's

Bought brand new it at Caruso's music in downtown Groton, CT in 1972 for $375 with a Guild hardshell case (I thought it was tougher than the Martin case and since I was a sailor at the time I knew it was going to take a beating).

When I first bought it, I was going almost strictly on the rave reviews of all the guys I knew that actually could play guitar (I was hoping that a new Martin D-28 would magically instill a little Stephen Stills into my anemic attempts at music - not in the cards, although my mis-fingered chords did ring through with a truth and clarity that only a Martin could provide).

The beautifull tone, clarity and easy playability were an inspiration that kept me striving to learn more and more about the craft and I think that is what I appreciate the most about this fine instrument.

After 34 years, it just keeps getting better and better - the longer it lives, the more tone knowledge it acquires.

I think the only thing I have ever disliked about this instrument is the responsibility it put squarely on my shoulders to preserve, use and appreciate it to the best of my inadequate ability.

I worry about it getting stolen or being damaged, it's been around so long it's like an old friend that I would miss dearly if they were no longer around.

The construction is absolutely flawless. I picked through about 15 other D-28's to get this particular one and believe me, this is a piece of art created by a master craftsman. I have never had a single thing go wrong since I have owned it and it has moved with me all over the USA and was with me aboard the USS Enterprise until 1975 during the Vietnam war.

It plays and sounds better now than it ever has.

Not the fanciest Martin, but it's the best one I own!

MGR/David Hidalgo12/16/2003

MGR/David Hidalgo's review"Martin D-28"

Martin & Co D-28
The story of this guitar goes back to 1975 when my favorite traveling companion, a 1940's vintage,LG-2 Gibson was stolen out of my Bus on a foggy, depressing evening in San Francisco.
I was heartbroken and without much forethought I replaced it with a brand- new, shiny and very, very expensive Guild dreadnought. I was on the rebound so to speak.
Friends, that Guild spent the next ten years in its' case because It (with no fault of the folks at Guild) and I just weren't meant for each other. Kind of like a whirl-wind, Las Vegas romance. You wake up next to that Special Woman (that you met three hours previously) and, yes she's attractive and has a great body, but you've got nothing in common, and you will never under no circumstances ever mix Tequila and
an unknown frothy, green liquid together again.
The Martin came into my possession when a luthier friend in Santa Monica told me that someone had consigned an old D-28 with him and would I be interested in trading my Guild? Its' lacquer was dull, but the neck was fairly straight and I was told that this particular Martin had spent time as a studio instrument. I picked it up and strumnmed a Gmaj chord; what a voice. It rang, it was like a chance meeting of an old friend that you haven't seen in years. I guess the Guild was worth, maybe $1500.00 in 1983 and I've never regretted the trade.

What's not to like about an old guitar? Sure it's not as pretty as the newest D-45 for $15K, but then again I don't have to treat it like a museum piece.

Occasionally, the ancient Grovers slip, and she goes out of tune when I'm trying to channel some obscure Mississippi John Hurt tune, but the same thing happens to me when I forget where I put my keys.

Vintage Martin. A different feel than a contemporary guitar, even a new D-28.

The market in vintage guitars has skyrocketed to a point that their value as collectibes overshadow what they were manufactured for in the first place, to be played. Not to disappear in some climate controlled wherehouse in London or Tokyo.

I remember hearing an old 78, years ago, of Huddie Leadetter (Leadbelly) playing his version of "Midnight Special". He was playing an old Stella 12-string which had an action that could make your fingers bleed, and what we'd consider a plywood guitar. It goes to show you that in the hands of a virtuoso, it's the man not the instrument.

MGR/Lynch12/07/2003

MGR/Lynch's review"Martin D-28"

Martin & Co D-28
I purchased my D-28 from a local guitar shop who mainly sold Martin and Taylor guitars. I had tried my friends Martin guitars and had always liked the construction and tone quality. I paid $1650 and later saw it retailed for $2400.

I like to play blue grass and fingerpick- the D-28 has a rich tone and a nice projection which sounds great with other string instuments.

It was easy to dislike the sound of the
D-28 at first play, but the more I played it and broke it in, the better it sounded. I guess that's not necessarily a dislike.

The body is very solid and feels a little heavier than other guitars I've played- I enjoy that aspect of it. Good quality and well constructed.

This guitar was definitely out of my price range, but I quickly forgot about the $$ and began enjoying the rich tones and nice feel of the D-28.

MGR/Garry McGrath11/19/2003

MGR/Garry McGrath's review"Martin D28"

Martin & Co D-28
Just purchased the instrument new here in Noosa Australia from the local music shop, Music@Noosa. The price was US$2735. I am using it to play bluegrass instrumental and backing for country music.

Sound, Sound, Sound. I reviewed several other brands, including Cort, Taylor (310)and the Aussie made Maton(Massiah). The D28 was head and shoulders above in both volume and tone. A plain guitar compared to the others but it's not a beauty contest. The taylor and the Maton were the most playable, but I found myself working overtime trying to get that sound out of 'em, which was not to be got. You know the one - that nasal, metalic, percussive HUM.

Not much. If I wanted pretty I could have got a herringbone/MOP type somewhere up the range. But you can't get a D42 or something like that to play before buying in Australia, and I wasn't prepared to go the extra, sight unseen. Maybe a glossy neck would be nice if they can come up with one that will not thumb wear excessively. It would bring the character out in the mahogany.

Not a mark on the exterior. Some bear claw in the spruce, but the grain is wide and regular. Even my wife admired it, and it doesn't have anything to do with dresses or kitchen appliances. Its beauty is in it's simplicity, which is a modern design trait for a thing that has been around so long - just goes to show. I could not find a crack or gap in it. I will just have to wait and see how it improves and/or deterioates as time goes by.

It is a truly precipitious guitar. Once you own one you are committed to a certain style and niche as dictated by the thing itself. It has one purpose and you are going there with it or forget it. Also, perhaps not the best idea to by a 28 as a first if you are contemplating a Martin. Even though it's big, you won't want to go down the range and there is not much reason to go up, except perhaps to a D18 type for the other classic tone.

MGR/Joshua Allen02/21/2003

MGR/Joshua Allen's review"Martin D-28"

Martin & Co D-28
My dad picked it up in the city a few years ago for about $1500. When I first started playing guitar, this is what I played, and I was lucky. I might not have a great electric guitar, yet, but how many people can say they have a great acoustic like this.

First of all, it's a Martin, which says something all by itself. Secondly, it's one of the best models Martin has ever made. It has a good age on it (about 7 years) and the older it gets, the better it sounds. The fretboard is great, the body is great, it tunes easily. What can I say? As far as acoustics go, it's one of the best.

Nothing really; everything is great. The only thing I don't like about is that it's hard to play Van Halen on this while I'm waiting for a new electric, but that can't really count as a valid dislike. :)

It's great. From all the acoustics I've played, this one makes them look bad.

The bottom line is that if you want a good acoustic, you should buy it. Since it cost a bit much, might not be for some of you. Mine cost $1500, but I've been offered anywhere from $3-4000 for it. I love it, I'll never sell it, it's great for what it is.

MGR/Quid05/09/2002

MGR/Quid's review"Martin D-28"

Martin & Co D-28
I saved up money for this guitar for a number of years. I finally bit the bullet and purchased it, site unseen, from an on-line music catalogue. The Reason? Well, the sound is legendary. I know people who have had them forever and they just get better with age. I paid about $1,800 (included hardshell case)

This guitar has a nice balanced, sturdy feel. I've played other "cheaper" acoustics (laminates, non-solid, etc) and was never really happy with their loss of tone in the high notes, chunkiness on the low end, and buzz-outs with age. The D-28 has none of these problems. I can fingerpick, pick-strum, or hammer away, and it performs exceptionally.

There is nothing that I can say that I dislike about this unit. It is very handsome, though not as "pretty" as a higher end D-45 model. I really don't care what the unit looks like, I'm only concerned with the sound.

Construction: Solid Spruce top wood, Solid Rosewood back and side wood, Ebony fingerboard (very nice feel) and glossy body finish.

Save your pennies and buy this guitar. You will be very happy with it. I installed an L.R. Baggs i-beam active pickup system (under bridge, very non-intrusive) and use the guitar exclusively for recording or live performance.