Shure Beta 52
Shure Beta 52

Dynamic Microphone from Shure belonging to the BETA series.

polishdog90 polishdog90

« Good bass mic »

Published on 08/25/11 at 16:40
Shure Beta 52A Features:
-Perfect for kick drum and other low frequency information
-20Hz to 10kHz, presence boost at 4kHz
-Strong proximity effect for tonal variation
-Supercardioid pickup pattern for excellent isolation
-Max SPL: 174dB

This mic is a good bass/kick drum mic for both live and studio sound. It's relatively cheap and built tough so it works on stage but has a sound quality good enough to use in the studio.

This microphone has a pretty good sound. I primarily put it on bass cabs or the outside of a kick drum. It has a nice beefy bass response that can get some great tones. I prefer the AKG D112 to this mic for those applications but it is pretty similar in quality. I like to pair this mic with another mic with higher frequency response because it gives a nice low "oomf" but lacks some clarity. On a kick I use this on the outside and put a RE20 on the beater. On a bass cab I will use this paired with a 57, 4050, or just a bass DI. I haven't tried this microphone on much other than really low frequency sound sources but it sounds good on those. For the price its a really good deal. A decent kick mic will improve drum sounds greatly. If I had the option to buy this again, I would just pick up a second D112 because I slightly prefer its sound to the Beta 52.