or
Create an account

or

Thread Focusrite Scarlett 2i2: is this latency normal?

• 4 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Focusrite Scarlett 2i2: is this latency normal?
Hi all
I've bought a notebook with an high end system hardware: CPU Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40 GHz (QC, 6MB, 45W, T3.40GHz), RAM 8 GB, mSATA SSD 256GB Crucial m4, HD 750 GB 7200RPM, VGA AMD Radeon HD 7970M 2,0 GB GDDR5 dedicated - S.O. Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit.
Recently I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB 2.0, with the latest driver installed from Focusrite official web site.
To record I use Cubase 5.1.0, installed in a very fast Crucial SSD 256GB.

My system is almost clean, I've minimal system processes loaded from Windows 8 64 bit in background, kaspersky antivirus disabled, disabled internal audio card, wireless and bluetooth too. I've also tried to set up windows performance from "Programs" to "Services in background", as I read in several forums.

Well, from Focusrite Asio Control Panel, setting Buffer Lenght to minimum size (1ms) the latency is
4.875 (input) and 5.875 (output).
I read on internet a lot of users, with a lower hardware system and bigger buffer size, reaching easily 2 or 3 ms of latency withouth problem, both with Scarlett 2i2 and with other external audio cards.

Why I can't get lower latencies? Do you have any suggestions, tips or settings to reduce my latency?
Many thanks!
UP!
5-6 ms of latency is really low already, though you're running with a very small buffer.
Did you check if any program running or Windows service in the background is using a lot of CPU ?
Try configuring the buffer in Cubase too, it might help
Quote from Banshee:
5-6 ms of latency is really low already, though you're running with a very small buffer.
Did you check if any program running or Windows service in the background is using a lot of CPU ?
Try configuring the buffer in Cubase too, it might help

checked, there're no programs or services in background using lot of cpu, as I wrote there are minumum system services in background...
about "try configuring buffer in cubase too", that's new for me...I always configured sound card buffer from "Vst Audiosistem" and that's all, where do I configure the Cubase buffer?
Thanks
I don't use Cubase anymore but from what I remember there is an option in the preference pane.