or
Create an account

or

Thread Scarlette 18i20 / sm57

• 4 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Scarlette 18i20 / sm57
Hey guys I have the above mentioned gear and trying to record into Sonar. Problem is I need to raise the preamp level to 10 to get a descent signal only to raise the noise floor to, what i feel to be, an unacceptable level. I have it plugged into channel 1, instrument on and pad off. (Tho i can't tell a difference when either of those buttons are on or off). I have the mic placed center on axis touching the amp grill.

Thanks in advance

dana
Hi Dana,

Thanks for your thread.

Have you tried other source, mic, cable and inputs?

What is your operating system?

Which version of Scarlett Mix Control have you installed?

Please let me know, if I can be of any further help to you.

With best regards,

Marcel // Focusrite Novation Support

[ Post last edited on 08/15/2013 at 09:44:48 ]

Thank you. I have tried different inputs and mics with the same result short of a Cardiod mic which seemed to respond as expected. I will try a different cable and get back with you.
I meant to say a condenser mic was getting better response. I did try a different mic cable. Even tho i need to put input level to around 8 the noise floor dropped significantly! Not sure why I didnt think of that tho a few blonde jokes come to mind. Is that the type of mic that the amp needs to be pretty loud to get a signal? I'm not getting the elevated noise floor but needing to go to 8 seems a bit much maybe not. I new to this.

Anyway Thanks for your reply Marcel

dana
Dear Dana,

Thanks for your reply.

The pots on the 18i20 have a logarithmic curve and therefore will start to increase the gain at around value 7-8.

You need to be more careful, when recording with condenser mics, since the capsules usually can be damaged by a too high SPL (Sound Pressure Level). Please check the max. SPL value your mic accepts in its specs.

Please let me know, if I can be of any further assistance to you.

With best regards,

Marcel // Focusrite Novation Support