or
Create an account

or

Thread Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 line out in mono only on both playback.

• 5 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 line out in mono only on both playback.
The system:

Intel Q9550 2.8ghz processor on a Gigabyte P35 motherboard. 6GB ram
Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Windows media player (also tried Quicktime player)
The 2i4 is connected directly to a USB2 port
Only other active USB devices are a mouse and keyboard.
Driver version 2.5.1

I have tried all the available sample rates in the Windows control panel for sound config, and still get summed playback on both channels no matter what I do. I did briefly try record monitor out via Vegas Pro 12, and still get summed mono on both the balanced and unbalanced outputs.

Hooked it up to an iPad 2. Still mono only with just the music player. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Hi Pixelriffic,

Sorry that you seem to be having some issues.
Please can you confirm that you are having this issue on playback from sources such as Youtube/Spotify/iTunes etc?
If you are just experiencing the issue with inputs when tracking, are you monitoring via speaker monitors from the rear of your Scarlett, or are you using headphones from the front. If the latter, where is the Mono/Stereo switch set?

Many thanks
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
Simon,

Thank you for the response. Any source was played back in mono, including Youtube, media player, and so on. This was out of the line out jacks. After posting this originally, I also noticed that there was low level noise when no source was playing. I actually ended up returning the unit and going with a different brand.
Hi,

I"m glad you're sorted now in any case. I do believe there was unfortunately a hardware issue with your Scarlett.

All the best
Simon... I am having the same issue with line out mono playback. It doesn't matter what source, the unit sometimes plays mono and then corrects itself mysteriously if I shut down the application down and restart it.

I am also experiencing the popping and disconnecting from the USB port as mentioned in this post:
https://en.audiofanzine.com/focusrite/series-scarlett/forums/t.9042,scarlett-2i2-popping-and-device-disconnecting.html

Do you think I should exchange my unit? Possibly defective?
Hi lmcguitarcat,

Yes, I saw your post and answered in the other thread.
The mono issue is strange and may relate to a rare hardware issue, one which will need repairing or replacing depending on when you purchased the unit.
Do you have the same issues if you connect the Scarlett to a different computer? Dropouts and Mono?
You can test the dropouts by possibly replacing the USB cable (as short as possible like the one supplied), however if the symptoms are exactly the same on another system and with a different USB cable, I would recommend talking to the retailer (if in the UK or Canada), or the local distributor (Rest Of World):

https://uk.focusrite.com/stores/distributors

Please do let me know how you get on.