Create an account

or

Thread Scarlett 18i20 - can I do analog in to analog out without the computer

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Scarlett 18i20 - can I do analog in to analog out without the computer
Hi Everyone,

First time poster here. Glad to meet you all!

I have set up my first recording studio.

My issue is the following. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. I'm using another recording interface for passing the audio signals to my DAW.

However, I track drums with 12 or so mics. I currently have 5 very high quality preamps. For the remaining inputs, I have a choice between using the preamps on an Allen and Heath GL-2400 mixer or using the preamps on the Scarlett.

I assume that the Scarlett preamps would be superior but if you have any other thoughts about this, please let me know.

Assuming I use the Scarlett preamps, I have no need for the computer interface. I just want to take the mic signals in, add some gain, and take them out to the other interface. In reading the Scarlett manual, while there is a very low latency option than can be setup in the mix software, I see no indication that I can bypass that software altogether and just do analog in to analog out (and avoid the AD and DA conversions).

Do any of you know if I can do this? Thanks in advance for your much appreciated assistance. Jeff
Hey Jeff,

I couldn't tell you how to bypass the interface or if it's possible as I don't use focusrite myself, but if what you're after are quality preamps to add some gain to the mic signals without paying an arm and a leg, I'd DEFINITELY look into the new Cloudlifter series by Cloud Microphones.

I've read a great user review on them here: https://en.audiofanzine.com/solid-state-preamp/cloud-microphones/cloudlifter-cl-1/user_reviews/r.124068.html

plus I've messed with them myself and gotta say, for such a tiny package, they truly get the job done. good luck.
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the question and your interest in Focusrite.
Whilst you cannot bypass the preamps in any Focusrite interface, you can route the inputs to your outputs via the Mix Control software to your preferred routing, save that to the hardware, and then use the interface in 'Standalone Mode' (not connected to computer).
I believe this would allow you to operate in the way you want to.

Please note that you would need to run your outputs at full output (0 db) by shift-clicking them to grey from blue. When doing this on your computer with Mix Control, I would recommend disconnecting any speakers/headphones connected to Scarlett during the process. Receiving an email sound or Skype call at 0db through speakers is not fun:

1903168.png

Please also note that with the above routing, Headphone output 1 would simply mirror the signal from inputs 7 & 8, however headphone output 2 should give you a full mix.

Please don't hesitate to give us a call if you need any further information.

Best regards
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support

[ Post last edited on 09/12/2014 at 02:13:28 ]