Create an account

or

Thread Can't seem to PAN with my DAW

• 6 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Can't seem to PAN with my DAW
Hello

I'm running Reaper on a Windows 7 machine with a Focusrite 18i20. I have the NI Kontact Player and quite a few VSTi on it.
I noticed that I cannot set the pan to left or right on either Reaper or the Kontact Player. I can adjust the settings / knobs and it shows that I am panning left or right but it is not actually doing so (in my ears). I also notice I have a slight hum out of my right monitor if that's somehow related. I have no physical instruments plugged into the 18i20 at the moment and only a set of KRK monitors on balanced cables and headphones on the output.
Is this a hardware issue or a software issue? I don't seem to have enough stuff plugged into it to be a problem to figure out hardware wise.

Thx
Tris
Well do you have stereo when playing a stereo track? It might sound as a dumb question but perhaps something is set to mono.

If you have stereo with things like youtube then it is a software problem in reaper.
Again i think it will be more like a routing error than reaper it self.

If not stereo with youtube it can be a routing error in the softmix.
Little hums can come from everything or nothing.

Disconnect everything turn off every daw and connect only your speakers. Do you still have a hum? Then the problem can be bad shielded cable or a broken wire ( hot or cold pin)

Please let us know... From there we can help you further...

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

:8O:
I didn't notice it before but there's a Mono button on the Scarlett MixControl.
What an amazing difference to hear the NI VSTi 'The Grandeur' piano in stereo like this. Magnificent.

Thank you for your advice and the care you show by answering.

Tris
The joy of stereo. ;)
Lol

Well i'm glad everything is working fine now ;)

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

Hi Tris,
Sorry that you seem to be having some problems.
Within Mix Control, please can you select File - Restore Factory Defaults.
Once this is done, please can you simply play some audio from iTunes, or perhaps a stereo test in Youtube and let us know if you're receiving a stereo signal to your heapdhones/speakers? Please ensure that your speaker monitors are definitely connected to line outputs 1-2

Let me know how you get on.
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
Quote from Mike:
The joy of stereo. ;)

The joy of stereo indeed but too, the care that has gone into recording this particular instrument (the Grandeur) is amazing.