Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer

All user reviews for the Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer

( 3.6/5 based on 31 reviews )
10 reviews
10 reviews
3 reviews
7 reviews
  • songboysongboy

Boss CS-3 Compression SustainerPublished on 09/07/08 at 00:12
    This is a Compression pedal only. They say compression/sustainer, but sustain is a standard option on a compression pedal. I believe this is all analog. There are no visible digital parts at least. This is not editable through a computer. Its is 1/4" audio only, and no it is not rackable in the traditional sense (as in you would have to mount on a drawer, then rack that).

The general setup on most stomp boxes is pretty simple, and this one is no different. The idea is finding a balance between the sustain and the attack. I would start my setting the attack first, and then playing with the sustain until it sounds just right. My only problem was I never found that tone I was looking for.
    Its very easy to edit the boss pedals because all of the options are labeled and adjustable by a dial. That is the beauty of these pedals, they are exceptionally easy to use and therefore great for beginners.
    I never consulted a manual because I got mine used and never got one. But again, most boss pedals are really easy to figure out.

Is this a good compression pedal, NO! Pair this one up with just about any other compressor out there and you will hear what I am talking about. Its not very transparent. Every time I clicked it on I noticed a reduction in the good tone coming out of my Parker Nitefly. If you want more sustain, wave good bye to even more tone, it starts to sound really cheap the more you add. I run my Parker through my effects and into a Fender Twin, and when this pedal is not in my effects chain, things sound way better. I can't say I liked this pedal with any of my instruments.

I used this pedal for about 4 months. I promptly sold it and purchased one of the finest compression pedals on the market. The Analogman Bi-compressor (check out my review on that). There really isn't anything good about this pedal. The worst thing about this pedal, besides the tone reduction, is when using it live, I would click it on and loose about 25% of my volume. I would crank that level parameter up and still nothing. I couldn't figure it out. Sometimes it wouldn't drain as much volume, but overall it was never consistent. Sometimes transparent (in regards to volume) and sometimes if was like someone turned down my amp. This was my first compression pedal and I bought it on a whim off of ebay. After doing lots of research I found the Analogman Bi comp and was very happy when I got it.
    Honestly, there is no value in crap, so don't waste your money on this pedal.
    The only Boss pedal I would ever buy again is the Tuner and possibly one of the Digital delays.