Crowther Audio Hot Cake
Crowther Audio Hot Cake
mooseherman mooseherman
Publié le 06/05/09 à 07:47
This is an analog overdrive pedal that is relatively straightforward in nature (no midi, audio connections, not rackable).

The sound editing is really simple with this pedal, which makes it ideal for someone like me who doesn't like his pedals too complicated! The setup is pretty straightforward. It has three knobs (level, presence, and drive) which are easy to use. Newer models have two settings, “Normal and Bluesberry”. Bluesberry is a less buzzy sound that is really pretty. It can run on a 9V battery or a standard power supply. The manual explains everything pretty clearly, though I confess I didn't even open it until I started writing this review (more because of the simplicity of the pedal than the quality of the manual).

I have only tried this pedal with my electric guitar ('67 Strat reissue). Arguably my favorite feature of this pedal is its ability to distort the guitar sound without polluting it. More specifically, it gives it a nice, thick distortion sound but doesn't obscure the melodic/harmonic content of what you are playing. Thus the dissonance that can sometimes unexpectedly occur when using fuzz boxes is reduced or omitted entirely. I think that every sound I've achieved with this pedal is pretty great. It's not the most versatile pedal out there but every tone is a winner in its own right.

This pedal is great for players who want a less distorted but still powerful sound. I personally use it with a Fender Strat and a Fender Twin Reverb and have no complaints. I get a great tone that is reminiscent of Clapton or Nels Cline of Wilco on his less experimental work. In fact, Nels is the first person to mention it that I knew of, and was the reason I checked it out in the first place. I've bought a few overdrive pedals over the years, and each one is different. I can't recommend one over the other but I will say that this pedal is great for what it does. It doesn't sound like lesser pedals which make it clear that they have flaws or defects, or color the sound a really awful way. The sound is so crisp and clean yet still powerful. I would definitely replace it if I had to.