• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Epiphone The Dot

Average Score:4.4( 4.4/5 based on 51 reviews )
 28 reviews55 %
 16 reviews31 %
 4 reviews8 %
 1 user review2 %
Audience: Beginners Value For Money : Excellent
View price information
drkorey08/17/2011

drkorey's review"Great Economic Rocker!!"

Epiphone The Dot
2002 Korean made Cherry Red dot. 22 Medium frets, pressed into a rosewood fretboard with dot markers. Neck is made out of mahogany, the body is made of (laminated) maple. Neck has the thinner '60s profile, much shallower than the fat '50-ies model. The finish is a High Gloss Cherry-red. The guitar is designed after the Gibson es335, so it's a semihollow one. Standard Gibson features, like a 24.75" scale length, 2 vol & 2 tones, 3way Switch and two alnico humbuckers. TOM-bridge and stopbar tailpiece. My guitar features Gotoh "Epiphone signature" tuners. Guitar came with an Epiphone case and strap.

Access to the upper frets is somewhat hindered by the neck joint and cramped/small lower horn cutaway. It is not too bad, but not the easiest I've played on.
I found the guitar to have a nice even weight - not too heavy and it also has a pretty good balance.
It is easy to get a variety of nice sounds with the two humbuckers anr 3-way switch.
The body is the biggest I've ever played on and it takes a little to get used to, especially sitting down

I used this guitar with a solidstate Marshall 3100 series amp and stock Marshall cab for a two week fly in set of shows with my old classic rock cover band.
I was looking to get and did get the classic rock sounds from rock to pop like: the Police, ZZ Top, Steppenwolf and VH - it covered a lot of ground nicely!
It really did not have a sound that I did not like and did an excellent job with the classic rock songs we did.

This was a great guitar to use and fit the bill nicely for what I needed it to do.
The thing I liked least was the upper fret access and the bigger body - but it was not hard to work around those issues.
I liked the overall playability and the classic rock tones it got the best - and it looked cool too!
I borrowed this guitar for two weeks, from the other guitar player, who bought it used for $450. I used his because I didn't want to fly with my expensive guitars. I think it was a nice guitar for the price.
I would have no problems using the guitar again but have so many in my collection that I would not buy it for myself, I just don't need it.
I have owned many guitars and had a number of years where I would buy, try and flip, which enabled me to have many guitars around to try out.
This is a nice guitar for the price.
tjon90107/20/2011

tjon901's review"Budget 335"

Epiphone The Dot
The Epiphone Dot is Gibsons budget version of their famous semi-hollow guitar. This guitar is made overseas unlike the Gibson model so it is much cheaper but everything is made to pretty much the same specs with slightly lower quality hardware. The shape is pretty much exactly the same. Gibson came up with the Semi-Hollow design to combine the advantages of a solid body guitar with the advantages of a hollowbody. You get the great resonance of a hollowbody with the versatility and ability to play at volume of a solidbody. Hollowbody guitars when played loudly or with any gain will have a lot of feedback because the guitar body will start picking up the sound from the amp and causing it to vibrate ontop of its own resonance. With the Epiphone dot you get a partial hollowbody by having a solid piece of maple running down the center of the body dividing the hollow cavity into two. The dot comes with a maple body with a set maple neck. It has a 22 fret rosewood fretboard with dot inlays. It has dual Epiphone humbuckers with a volume and tone control each and a 3 way switch.

The large Gibson Semi-hollow shape means the guitar is not the most comfortable to play. It fits a bit awkwardly around your body. There are new Vox semi-hollow guitars that arch around and contour towards your body. These guitar have a flat shape and you may find yourself reaching around the body a bit. They are a pretty slim neck they arent like 50s Gibson necks. The fretwork can be hit or miss but it is nothing a good setup cant fix. The upper fret access is slightly better than that of a Les Paul just because of the shape but it is not like a shred guitar or neck through guitar.

Because of the design it is quite difficult to swap out electronics on a semi-hollow guitar. This means unless you know a really good luthier you are pretty much stuck with the stock pickups. The Epiphone pickups are the weakest part of the guitar. The semi-hollow construction gives the guitar a ton of natural tone and resonannce and it just needs a set of nice pickups to really bring out the tone amplified. The Gibson version of this guitar comes with Classic 57 pickups which are some of the best pickups Gibson makes in house but that guitar is also thousands of dollars more expensive. The natural tone of the guitar helps out the weak pickups so you should be able to get by with most whatever you play on this guitar.

This guitar is good for some one who isnt looking for a primary semi-hollow guitar. This could be a good backup guitar or first semi-hollow guitar to see if you like the sound. I would recommend the Vox 77 semi-hollow guitar over this if you are looking for a mid level semi-hollow guitar that isnt as expensive as a Gibson. If you are just getting into the semi-hollow scene this guitar is great for that.
King Loudness05/06/2011

King Loudness's review"Not bad, but not great."

Epiphone The Dot
The Epiphone Dot was designed to be a close approximation to the original late 1950s Gibson ES-335 "dot neck" version of the classic semi hollow body instrument. It features the following specifications:

Semi-hollowbody
Laminated maple body and top
Body binding
Set maple neck
22-fret rosewood fretboard
Dual humbuckers (based on Gibson '57 Classic humbuckers)
3-way pickup selector
2 volume and 2 tone controls
LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece add more sustain and easier string changing
Chrome hardware

It's a very basic hollowbody guitar and feels much like a 335, except without the classic craftsmanship and attention to detail that getting one from Gibson Custom Shop would get you. I've owned one and played several and they're of varying quality. Epiphones in general tend to lack consistency, which can be a problem when shopping for guitars like this.

Playing this guitar was definitely something to get used to! At the time I owned it, I was accustomed to much lighter, more ergonomic solidbody guitars, with the occasional foray into fully acoustic guitars. The particular example that I owned was on the heavier side (probably about 9 to 10 pounds) and felt a little bit clunky and odd to get used to at first because of the very large body. The upper fret access was not stellar on this guitar either, but I can't be too picky about that considering that the guitar was not designed to play lightning fast Yngwie or Guthrie Govan tunes. For being designed how it is, the ergonomics and upper fret access weren't terrible by any means, just not nearly as good as many of the solidbody guitars that I've owned.

Getting a decent sound out of this guitar is not too difficult. It's wired exactly the same as a Les Paul or SG, with dual humbuckers, each with its own volume and tone control, and then a 3 way toggle switch to go between the pickups. The pickups in this guitar are definitely a weak point, so the tones I dialed in were often muffled and/or muddy sounding, so that was a bit of a crutch, but again, for a $400 guitar I can't be TOO picky about the stock OEM pickups.

I used this guitar with my main rig at the time, a Mesa Boogie Mark III head and Basson 2x12 speaker cabinet. Like I stated above, the pickups in this guitar really are not very impressive. From what I've read in some places, they were based on '57 Classics, but I would argue that they really don't do that sound. I have '57 Classics in my main Gibson LP and they are a MUCH more articulate and dynamic pickup than the OEM copies in this guitar.

The clean tones were the better sounding ones. The neck pickup had a nice bassy sound for jazz and cleaner blues tones and the bridge pickup had a thicker, wooly sounding tone, again great for bluesier textures. The muddiness is unfortunately fairly apparent with this sort of tone, so I had to compensate by using more treble on the amp than I would normally, which made it a bit piercing if I switched over to the overdrive tones. However for just playing cleaner tones with this guitar, if I adjusted the amplifier settings to dial out a bit of the muffled character, it was great.

The overdrive tones were quite honestly not much to write home about. The neck pickup was very bassy. There wasn't a whole lot of note definition when using this pickup, so it really only worked for single note lines or doom rock/metal type tones (IE: Sabbath, Sleep). The bridge pickup wasn't too bad, but again the lack of definition in the pickup relegated it to a much bassier sound than I'm used to using, and such a sound wasn't really one that fit the music I was playing at the time.

All in all I think Epiphone has a great idea with this guitar. The construction is decent and the feel of the guitar is nice for a hollowbody. The biggest issue for me was that the electronics were basically junk, and being that it's a hollowbody, pickups and electronics are much harder to swap out, so I was stuck using the stock pickups and electronics for the time that I owned it. The other big issue I have with Epiphones is consistency. I've played many great ones, many average ones and many total dogs, without any rhyme or reason as to which would be great and which wouldn't. I would say that my particular Dot (2004 model) was on the average side, not amazing but far from a dog.

These guitars are cool for $400, but to me the pickups are fit for the trash unless you want bass heavy mud... so factor in another $150 for new pickups. At that price point with upgrades, it's really no longer as good a deal, so I guess it's up to the end user to decide what works.
MGR/Convict11/08/2008

MGR/Convict's review"Epiphone Dot Archtop"

Epiphone The Dot
I've only been playing guitar for a bout 5 years now. I got into it after seeing Green Day live. I'm in a band now, and we do some punk copies, but also write our own stuff.

I actually found this guitar on ebay. It was used and a few years old, but I only paid $280 or something close to that. Can't remember exactly. I've always been looking for a semi-hollow to add to my collection and I've always been a fan of the look of these Epi's and I've always heard they have some cool tones.

I like the sustain I get from the semi-hollow body. The three way switching is a nice feature and basically lets you go from the front humbuckers, to both mixed, to the back humbucker so you get sort of a chorusy mellow tone from the front and a nice lead type cutting tone from the back. I like the look of the guitar and the neck is real comfortable to play. It's nice and wide and helps me finger chords a lot more easily because of my fat fingers.

I've been having a little bit of a challenge keeping the G (3rd) string in tune. I don't know if it's the nut or the bridge, but it seems to go sharp a lot. I don't know if this is a problem with all of these guitars or just this one, or if it's something that I did to it, but just wanted to throw that out there for you to chew on. It's probably nothing, and I should probably just take it to a guitar store to have it checked out. I also don't like how the cord jack is on the face of the guitar, although I'm guessing they're all like this by design. I've pulled the cord out a few times accidentally.

Construction is decent. It's an Epi so it has a nice balance of cost versus quality. The fit and finish are pretty good and probably only a trained eye could tell the difference between one of these models made overseas and ones produced here in the U.S.

Overall, for the price I paid, I think it's a really sweet 6 string. It's not the best quality, not the worst, and it does have a few issues that bug me, but overall not bad. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a backup axe or a semi-hollowbody that they need for a specific purpose, song, or recording project.

MGR/Jeff10/28/2004

MGR/Jeff's review"Epiphone DOT"

$365 - guitar center

Nice fit and finish; classic looks for the price.

Pick-ups are below average.

Good to excellent.

Very nice guitar for the money. A bargain relative to a comparable Gibson es-333 or es-335. Probably lacks tone for anyone other than a novice.

MGR/ulleses X06/26/2004

MGR/ulleses X's review"Epiphone DOT"

Epiphone The Dot
I paid $450 at Old Boise Guitar.

i like the guitar a lot very much

much is what ilike i dont unlike anything about this instrument type

it is rather very good

i paid $450 for this guitar at old boise guitar i like the guitar a lot very much much is what ilike i don't unlike anything about this instrument type

MGR/Brendan Lorimer05/03/2004

MGR/Brendan Lorimer's review"Epiphone ES-335 Dot"

Epiphone The Dot
I bought this guitar from a music store in North Bay, Ontario and the price was originally $599.99 but I found it considerably cheaper at Steve's Music Store (that's the place to go!)at $439.99!!! So I price matched at the North Bay store and with taxes and everything it came to $516.00, which was exactly what I was willing to pay.And the reason I bought this is because guitars are my life and my passion.

Where do I begin? First,this guitar is absolutely beautiful, a sweet cherry red colour with curves like a woman. Also, it's f-holes give a great sound and look amazing too. It's humbuckers are very powerful and can go from crystal clear to dripping in distrortion with no problem. I heard that it would be to heavy but it was no problem , considering I'm as skinny as Jimmy Page.Also the action was very comfortable.

There's really nothing I didn't like other than that the screw on the jack kept un-screwing but I couldn't care less about that

The ES-335 is very solidly made with all details paid attention too, so other than that, all I can say is that the Korean's really know their guitars.

All in all, I was exceptionally pleased with ES-335 and this is a prime example of more for your money. I treat this thing like my best friend and I can't wait to wail on this guitar when I play this at a battle of the bands I'm playing next week!
Peace out and Jimmy Page is god!

MGR/BC Smith02/05/2004

MGR/BC Smith's review"Epiphone Dot"

Epiphone The Dot
I have not played in 20 years, the last guitar I bought was a NEW Gibon Sonex. I really wanted a 335 (as we all do) but that was a little out of the price range. My wife found my Dot for me for christmas, so I do not know how much she paid, but I do know it was a good bit less than the $399 you see on the internet.

It's a work of art, just like the real McCoy. Mine is Cherry and it looks great. It plays better than any guitar I have ever owned. I am re-learning to play jazz like I played in high school jazz band, blues and classic rock.

Well, besides how much I have forgot in 20 years or not playing, there is nothing I do not like about it. It's perfect.

If the Korean's built cars as well as the built my Dot, I would buy one of thoes too. It's perfect, or did I say that already?

Sure it's not a 335, so when I go pro (and the Cubs win a World Series) I will get a 335, but unitll then, The Dot is perfect.

MGR/naltimar12/26/2003

MGR/naltimar's review"Epiphone ES-335 DOT"

Epiphone The Dot
I was looking for a new axe and I was interested in trading in my beat up old acoustic for a nice new ride. I stumbled upon the DOT at a nearby music center and gave it a try. I compared it to like-priced Ibanez models and a few used no-names. This DOT jumped into my hands practically. I paid roughly $400 and I bought a case for $70 but I am returning it as I have found a better one for less.

First of all this badass is hot. Gleaming hardware and a gloss that rivals a new car.
I am primarily an acoustic player and was psyched to feel the ease of play on this thing. No issues with any of it, as far as I can tell.

One thing is that since I play acoustic with medium weight strings, I noticed that I have the tendency to bend the strings out of tune accidentally. I am sure I will get used to this.

Beautiful, solid and I like the weight. The headstock is lovely and the back curves gracefully like a woman.

Love it!~
Buy one!~
Word!~

MGR/Derek Mok11/11/2003

MGR/Derek Mok's review"Epiphone Dot"

Bought on eBay for $349.

An unusual, unlisted finish called "cherry burst", extremely appealing to the eye. A great mellow sound. I find it most useful for pop rhythm, clean chordal textures, and single-line riffs that mix in with the rhythm section rather than overbearing prominence. The contours feel great against the body.

The pickup selector switch is flimsy. The neck and fingerboard don't feel too inviting; a Gibson neck this isn't. Epiphone's intended case for this guitar is not great; it is light but doesn't seem to offer much protection.

Some excess paint around the f-holes, but that's about it. The finish is fantastic, the tuners and hardware are responsive, and the headstock is clean.

I love this guitar. It convinced me that an electric guitar can be below $500 and still give great quality.