Sony PCM-M10
Sony PCM-M10

Pocket Recorder/Multitrack from Sony belonging to the PCM series.

azin azin

«  Dolce vita »

Published on 07/23/11 at 01:40
I use my M10 PCM to record natural soundscapes oriented I plan to buy a dish, it's my audiophile side, as well as recordings on the fly from all that may arise, nature, songs, music possibly conferences and notes.
I had a Sony TCD D8, H2 zoom, a Sony mini disc, a Fostex FR2 LE, a voice recorder Sony ICD UX200, and finally a Yamaha C24 Pocketrack.
In an external mic I Rode NT4, a Sony stereo microphone.
Everything is simple and easy with the M10 PCM. I had long before a Sony TCD D8, which I had read the record 50 times without retaining the management functions most useful (very complicated, we had to press multiple buttons to a single function). PCM with the M10 is just the opposite we do ask any questions so it's simple. No brainer not to complicate things.
Everything is there, indicating the level of reading and recording full details and legible screen.
Buttons and backlit separate property when recording or playback.
With the internal microphones soundscape is not present, little relief is difficult to visualize the orientation and positions of sound sources, too bad. I bought informed critics who have read through the forum of this site.
I keep my voice recorder Sony ICD UX200, which is half as wide and half as thick and I could keep on me at all times, the PCM M10 is too heavy and too bulky.

Advantage:

Menus-friendly and very intuitive to use, ownership and full understanding of the PCM - M10 in 5 minutes. No need to open the manual.
- 2x AA Ni-Mh 2.500mAh seem inexhaustible and give great autonomy.
- Low breathing barely audible with the internal microphones under normal conditions, cranked it records sounds completely inaudible to the human ear but with a lot of breath.
- Compact and Pocket, discreet, be confused with something else and go unnoticed (a little thicker).
- Small speaker to recognize useful records without a headphone.
- The balance, or metal-to-digital or stifled.
- You can listen to hours of MP3 music, sound and atmosphere always sweet, no aggressive sound, good harmony.
- Micros good enough.
- Complete with enough food and remote control.
- Not looking fragile confidence.
- Nut no small feet for Kodak photo.
- Good quality / price ratio.

Disadvantages:

- Listening with headphones is dangerous for the ears, too much power available, Sony should think of doing sth.
- No sound landscape, lack of stereo effects.

Regrets:

- It's a very personal opinion, but I wish more sound definition, the result a bit bland. It is not just a matter of definition but also stereo, precision of detail. This is not the slap or Whaaaa the first listen. A little disappointing if you have the equipment more upscale, compared to a Fostex FR2LE + micro NT4 for example, (I should not compare it to that material, I know. But you always hope to find, small, cheap and which is the largest hardware button). It depends on the material that we had before.
I feel that the bass is muffled, there is a lack of definition rather important at this level. The background noise of cars and city noise is indescribable and stifled a slurry, while the birds singing in the trees near perfect at the same time. This gives a smooth and quiet atmosphere, but not realistic for my taste.
The overall soundscape is not registered and that is unfortunate.
- Lack of a protective cover for transportation.
- Burn 1 to 10 of REC LEVEL knob located on the side, would be visible if engraved instead of knurling, front.
- According to other critics PCM M10 is worse than the D50 (pickups and preamp) which is itself less than the D1, a decrease of production quality. Production Sony recording devices is essentially dictating, it looks like Sony quietly leave the area Home / Audiophiles with the abandonment of high-performance.
- Small speaker, but this bit of sound power.
- Some items that appear on the chrome or aluminum plastic for me, even if the presence of certain metal is for the density of the object.

Repeat this choice?
I think I'm in search of better equipment, but I'll keep it can still make a good recorder with external microphone with preamp.