Akai MPC1000

MPC1000, Sampling Sequencer from Akai in the MPC series.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Akai MPC1000

Average Score:4.6( 4.6/5 based on 64 reviews )
 41 reviews64 %
 16 reviews25 %
Audience: Beginners
mitchgeist11/13/2012

mitchgeist's review"Decent Mid - Level Sampler"

Akai MPC1000
The MPC1000 is a 64-track sampler/sequencer. It comes with 16 MB sample memory as standard, and can be expanded to 128 MB. It supports a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz, in stereo or mono. Its features include a USB port, an internal CompactFlash card reader, two MIDI inputs and outputs, and effects and multiple analog outputs as standard. Its sequencer's resolution is 96 ppq.

It is a simple install as with most MPC models. The manual is clear and sufficient, and the functions are as easy as MPC's get.

Not the best sounding MPC model, but not bad. The effects are below average I would say, but it still gets the job done.

It's good for someone starting out, not sure full fledged productions could be made on this thing. Overall I would still try it out at a Guitar Center to see if you like it.
theaudioandvideoguy03/04/2012

theaudioandvideoguy's review"MPC is a classic machine , not just for hip hop either"

Akai MPC1000
The Mpc 1000 is a midi production beat machine that a lot of producers have become quite fond of over the years. I have been using MPC’s for about 10 years now, all the way back to the original big grey box MPC 2000. But at the end of the day not much has really changed from mpc to mpc , there are a few different ones out now. But the 1000 really changed the game, because its really affordable for producers. Other mpc’s can cost up to 5000 dollars. That’s a little outrageous to me, especially with all the same functions are available in software now. I have used the MPC 1000 black and the original blue one. Only difference to me is the operating system in them. The Black model has the updated version and this one doesn’t.

There is no need for a manual if you are already use to how the mpc works. The 1000 will be a breeze if you are use to them. If its new to you, then you will need the manual, because its nothing like using a software. There are a ton of options and sub menus to navigate through.

Sounds are ok, You will def. have to add your own kits (drums). Because the stock kits just flat out aren't that good! But once you load your own kits you will get a nice gritty sound!

I love the whole MPC brand, the 1000 makes it really affordable for us on a budget. BUT, the 1000 will not compete with the more expensive models for several reasons. One reason is that the screen is so small and basic, you can really get lost going from on menu to the next. Or trying to do your chops on a little barely green lit screen that makes it really hard and strains your eyes. Also, the 1000’s pads arent as nice as the more expensive models. But If you can look past those issues you will LOVE it! Trust me its worth the buy, plus they go for around 800 on eBay now. But don’t expect the prices to drop any less than that. The MPC’s hold their value really well!
ericthegreat11/27/2011

ericthegreat's review"Love it"

Akai MPC1000
The MPC 100 is full of great features. Usb, effects, 3 filters (high,low and band pass), up to 128 mb of ram, and you can save to compact flash cards. It is missing timestrecth and zoning but those can be done outside of the mpc via computer. I don't necessarily do either cause when I want to change the speed of my sample I'm used to just pitching it down and also the extract feature is very easy to get used to. (The extract feature does the same thing as zoning basically).

This mpc is very, very easy to use. Some things I needed the manual to figure out. But most of the stuff I figured out on my own. I wish they would've made the layout more like the 60's though. Plus the stock sounds on it are horrible, you will def need to upload your own kits as soon as you power it up. Do not use any of the stock kits and sounds. They are very unprofessional and everyone will be able to tell you used the stock kits.

It has a nice quality sound. It doesn't sound as warm and thick as other samplers I have messed with but, when you know what your doing you can make it sound really warm and thick. Basically it doesn't anything extra to the sound like lower bit rate samplers do. What you put in is what you get back out.

I really love the MPC 100 because it was my first but I think I might be upgrading soon. Everything just seems so hard to do on a little screen, that makes it very hard. But for the price you really cant beat it. You get a MPC (legendary machine) for a low price and can still do almost everything the others can. But It.
vsavagellc11/22/2011

vsavagellc's review"Great Product Upgrade Pads!"

Great sampler from akai

16 pads
transport features
Ins and Outs
clean LCD
Compact flash slot
USB connection (transfer data only)
Midi I/0
Reverb
Delay
Compression
Sample Editing features

This box is the newer version of the akai Mpc 3000,60,2000,2000xl,4000 etc. It's good for making any type of music you can think of but its popular and known for creating hiphop or any other 4/4 timing genre of music. It's one of those units that is only as good as the user is.

Manual wasn't too great imo if you can search online there are plenty of companies who have created manuals for musicians they run around $20.00

Can't really rate or judge the sounds as erased the preset/stock sounds that came with my unit but I can comment on the A/D converters which are clean. This unit does not sound as warm as the mpc 60 or the mpc 3000 but you can get the unit to sound just as warm by importing warm sounds into. So with that said if you were to run all your sounds off an S950 then into the mpc 1000 you'd be in business.

The onboard FX are basic but really clean and useful as well as simple to use.

This is a great unit especially for those who want a modern aged akai mpc. It's quality has some great onboard features. The pads (depending on which verion you get) suck and break down really fast. There is a pad upgrade kit you can buy on ebay though that fixes the issue.

The failing pads are normally on the Blue Mpc 1000 the Black Mpc 1000s are fine.. I don't like the stock OS that comes with the Mpc 1000 so you'd might want to look into upgrading to the JJSO series which turn the mpc 1000 into a Mpc 2500

yoTrakkz08/03/2011

yoTrakkz's review"This is for the hip hopers!"

Akai MPC1000
The MPC 1000 is a great piece of equipment and with the upgraded operating system its just like the more expensive models. It has midi and audio hook ups. You can connect your midi cords right to your interface for editing on a bigger screen. The MPC brand has the best sequencing known to all producers. It will automatically sequence your playing better than any software or other hardware program there is. The effects on the 1000 are kinda dull though, not as many options as there is on the 2000 and 4000/5000. But that’s why you track it out and use your computer program for effects. But the program itself comes with enough for you to complete a whole song it in. It has song mode, and you can lay a whole song out. Its kinda hard with such a small screen but you ca n do it if you have the patience.

All of the functions will take some manual reading, this isn’t a piece of equipment you can work our way through without the manual. You will definitely need to read the manual. But after reading the manual you will have no issues at all with navigating your way thought the menus and options.

the sensitivity and after touch is great on the pads. The pads are built to last and you wont have a problem with them if you don't hit them really hard. The stock sounds that come with it, will need to be replaced. They are very cheap, so definitely get your own kit together and get it uploaded.

The MPC 1000 is a must have for any hip hop sampler, it has great feeling pads and a great sound that comes out of it. You can layer your drums and eq them right on the MPC its self. If I went back to before I bought the MPC 1000 knowing what I know now, I would have probably saved up more money and just bought the 4000 xl. It has more options and a synth creator as well, not to mention a bigger screen . But the 1000 is great for beginners, but after trying the upgraded models you will want to upgrade asap!
Psycom08/02/2010

Psycom's review"AKAI MPC1000"

Akai MPC1000
A few technical specs (I own the black version) on stage.

* Pattern-based and linear 64-track sequencer with 32 MIDI channels
* 32-voice drum/phrase sampler with up to 128MB RAM
* Velocity and pressure-sensitive pads for expressive programming
* 16-level pad function maps one sound to all pads with varied level, tuning, attack, decay or filter per pad
* Two Q-link sliders for real-time performance control
* Built-in Compact Flash drive and USB port (Mass Storage Class)
* Standard WAV files samples and MIDI-file sequences
* Analog and digital I/Os, headphone output and two MIDI In/Out
* Internal sounds in flash
* Four-way sample layering and velocity switching per pad
* Four-pole filters (two two-pole filters) filtering for each of the 32 voices
* Two on-board effects processors plus main-output effect processor, all which can be used simultaneously
* Outputs can be re-sampled

I paid 800$.

All the features you would need. You able to sample, edit that sample and EQ that sample in one board. Add your own sounds and make music as a professional. The downside, is the small LCD, it isn't as friendly as a computer monitor. And when chopping a sample you don't have the zoning feature as the MPC 2000XL or do you have the option of time stretching. But other then that, all is good with it. What more can you ask for in a portable music production center?

<a href="https://en.audiofanzine.com/sampling-sequencer/akai">https://en.audiofanzine.com/sampling-sequencer/akai</a>

It is quite simple to use. The manual explains everything so clear, but at times you will have to call upon outside help to navigate through some of the features. I would change the interface, I am so comfortable with it, that I can operate the MPC in the dark, sometimes.

It is durable, My Behringer mixing board felt on top of the MPC from the desk to the floor and the didn't scratch it or damage the screen or the board. So that is tough machine for me. No repairs have been done. The pads are tough too, because I been banging on them for a while and still they uphold the pounding.

No complaints about it. Just the quality I need for making professional sounding music.

Good construction and quality.

I love it. Everything you need in a portable machine. The only downside is the missing feature of time stretch and zoning. I carry this lightweight as if it was my own laptop. So small to fit in a backpack without putting a lot of weight or pressure on the shoulders or back.

Akai MPC1000
Iv seen alot of you say a few things were missing such as time streatch but the on i got came with the new 2.1 os an all the stuff missing before is now in it im very happy about that

Paid: $900

Within a day of using it i was pressing buttons an doing everything with ease like a pro in some of those videos you see very easy to use

its built like a house.but the black version i have does collect dust quick

Iv used or heard other mpc's in use before an it sounds just like any of them that warm sound you know an love

I cant put it down i use it every chance i get once i learn to fully use it it will be worst

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: sludem ( 5-, 2006)

Akai MPC1000
The features that come with the new os are CRAZY,you got almost everything you could want,stretch,patched phrase,sample chop,pitch shifting. It is missing auto chromactic assign,thats my only gripe.I hope they put the chop shop (auto chop 0 feature they have on the 2500 in a future update..

$800

VERY easy coming from an mpc background.

Quality is my other gripe,I keep hearing about pads going back,and if you compact flash drive breaks is on back order from akai and will take forever to get.

The sound quality is cool,I don`t notice a difference between my old xl and the 1000

I love the features,I love the size. This things a beast,im so glad im using this not my 2000xl anymore. Like Master Yoda says &quot;Size matters not&quot; This could not be more true,and in honer of thatr I think I will have forat paint my 1000 yoda green.. Mpc1000 tutorial dvd coming soon to www.soundsforsamplers.com

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: ironbeatchef ( 3-, 2006)

Akai MPC1000
There good but you need to upgrade the Os v2.10 then you can say its tha best.

$820

No everythin is good and its hella easy to use , no doubt you can learn it quick if you take some time everyday with it .

the mpc is built tough , like they said ford built tough lol

Sound is perfect nothin bad , hella clear in my case

Wouldnt trade it even if i had a chance to get a mpc 4000 its hella easy to use and its good for starter producers and professional producers , thats why they call it akai professional.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: seatown350 ( 3-, 2006)

No really!

Great!

I love it!

Great!

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: moontwo ( 2-, 2006)