Peavey Bandit 112

Bandit 112, Solid-State Combo Guitar Amp from Peavey in the TransTube series.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Peavey Bandit 112

Average Score:4.2( 4.2/5 based on 21 reviews )
 14 reviews67 %
 5 reviews24 %
 1 user review5 %
 1 user review5 %
View price information
King Loudness10/24/2011

King Loudness's review"Great jamming amp"

Peavey Bandit 112
The Peavey Bandit 112 is the flagship combo in the company's venerable line of transtube amplifiers. It's been in production for decades and has survived the changing times regardless of the era. This newest version is an 80 watt 1x12 combo with two channels, one for clean and the other for drive. The amp also has onboard reverb and an effects loop, which are very handy. This modern version of the amp has an updated and modern looking cosmetic structure with lots of classy chrome accents. Sadly though the parts on this amp do feel cheaper and more likely to break with mild use when compared to the older models. They also have a Sheffield speaker replacing the Blue Marvel version.

Getting a good sound out of this amp is pretty easy. Peavey gear has a fairly intuitive interface that is able to be dialed in for a whole host of sounds by any player. The channels are laid out in typical fashion with gain, volume and EQ controls. As well, there are voicing switches on the front panel that alter the tonal structure of the amp by giving it a more vintage or more modern voice. The transtube technology is really something cool... It does indeed make the amp sound, and FEEL more like a higher powered tube rig with more sponginess and compression to bring out natural overtones in the sound. Awesome.

The Bandit 112 is one of those amps that sounds excellent with a whole variety of guitars and tonal styles. The clean channel is very nice and pristine. It's a bit flat sounding at times and lacks a bit of the sparkle I like in a clean tone but for a solid state tone it's pretty good for sure. I like it as well when hit with more gain or a boost pedal for a gutsy and crisp blues tone. The drive tones are great too. Whether you're doing classic arena rock or modern thrash metal, this amp has a very clear and defined tone that at times really does sound like a decent tube rig. The voicing switches really come in handy here to alter the tone to different levels and types of gain structure. Props to Peavey, this is an admirable sounding rig for sure.

All in all I think the Peavey Bandit 112 is a fantastic solid state jamming amp with a great layout, cool looks and some very tubelike tones within. The parts used could be better but for an amp of this price it can be overlooked. At about $350 new these amps are a great buy for anyone who needs a high wattage combo for jamming or gig situations that sounds like the tube amps costing a lot more!
iamqman07/09/2011

iamqman's review

Peavey Bandit 112
In my opinion Peavey lead all other manufactures in the amp modeling digital amp world. They take what would normally sound like trash and make it very usable. This amp is called the transtube technology amp which basically means that it is still a solid state amp design but with an emulated tube tone. So basically what you get is an amp that is cheaper to produce and sell and still be able to sound a little bit better than a regular solid state amp. I have to say that it sound sound much fuller than a standard solid state amp.

* - 100 Watts (rms) into 4 Ohms (w/external speaker)
* - 12" Blue Marvel(r) speaker
* - Footswitchable Boost with level control
* - ¼" stereo Speaker Simulated Direct Out jack with level control
* - Footswitch optional
* - 80 Watts (rms) into 8 Ohms
* - Weight Unpacked: 40.00 lb(18.144 kg)
* - Weight Packed: 48.00 lb(21.772 kg)
* - Width Packed: 15.75"(40.005 cm)
* - Height Packed: 28.37"(72.0598 cm)
* - Depth Packed: 23.87"(60.6298 cm)

This is the updated model and not much has changed in the way of tone. Any guitar sounds great with this amp. I like a nice Gibson Les Paul or another guitar with a humbucker pickup in it. Peavey amps I feel take humbuckers really well and smooths out some of that harsh high end that is naturally attributed to their tone. It sounds great with a Fender Stratocaster as well. You can definitely tell in the sound and tone that this amp is still a solid state amp. You just can't emulate a tube tone and have the same feel and punch that a real tube does naturally. However, this amp does take digital processing a step further in the right direction.

At new these amps come in at around $330, which is a great price for this amp. I would recommend this amp to anyone who needs a good amp for practice or jamming use. These particular model has been upgraded so you would have to score one of these on the used market.
iamqman06/22/2011

iamqman's review"Much better than the last"

Peavey Bandit 112
This amp has taken several generations to get where it is today. At first the transtube technology was a big hit and now they have tweaked it a bit and replaced the Sheffield speaker with a Blue Marvel. This speaker gives a better attitude and tone to the amp.

Peavey Bandit 112 Features:
80 watts (rms) into 8 ohms
100 watts (rms) into 4 ohms (w/external speaker)
12" Blue Marvel speaker
High and Low gain inputs
TransTube tube emulation circuitry
Footswitchable clean and lead channels (footswitch not included)
3-band passive EQ on each channel
3-position EQ/Gain Voicing switch on each channel
Reverb with level control
Footswitchable boost with level control
1/4" stereo speaker simulated direct out jack with level control

No Amp Modeling
Preamp Tubes No Tubes
Power Tubes No Tubes
Inputs 2 x Instrument
Outputs 1 x Speaker, 1 x Speaker Simulated Direct Out (1/4")
Footswitch I/O
Effects Loop
Height 20"
Width 23.4"
Depth 11.3"
Weight 46.6 lbs.

I personally like the sound of the Blue Marvel speaker compared to the Sheffield. The Sheffield doesn't compliment the tone of the amp as well as the Blue Marvel. I am glad they made the switch in the newest edition of this amp.

I would recommend this amp to anyone who needs a good amp for practice or jamming use. At new you can find these amps for right around $330, which isn't bad for decent sounding two channel amplifier.
Audiofanzine FR12/13/2008

Audiofanzine FR's review

Peavey Bandit 112
(Originally written by ed 0/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
Transtube technology

Tube emulation

80 watts RMS

FX send

FX return

Footswitch connector for channel selection

Direct recording output with speaker simulation (92 dB)

Low gain input

High gain input

Additional speaker output (100 watts)

2 channels (clean and lead)

25/50/80-watt selector

3-way voicing selector

Reverb

Boost

Easy configuration.

You can get good results without additional gear (only guitar+amp)

Extremely clear user's manual.

My personal solution to get the sound I always wanted from this amp:

Old 31-band EQ in the FX loop (I bought it really cheap on ebay)!

I now get every sound I want.

I use it to attenuate the shrilling high frequencies and to shape the low-end.

I will soon buy a good analog compressor

to get a well-balanced and personalized sound.

It's been one year.

I like the amp's possibilities when it's combined with 2 or 3 well-chosen effects.

I own several amps.

This one has a very personal sound character.

I like it a lot and I won't sell it.

Good value for money.

MGR/Rockit10/12/2006

MGR/Rockit's review"Peavey Bandit 112"

Peavey Bandit 112
Have been playing in bands since the early 70's back when tubes were the standard. This amp is built like a tank and still sounds like tubes without the fragile involved. Reminds me of the Duce and Mace sound that so many of us wanted on stage.

Unit was used and purchased for $150 on an online auction. Got this amp to replace an older Roland cube 100.

T-O-N-E - The warmth of a tube in solid state unit. The footswitch works well and the "dirty" channel has different settings on top of the normal post/pre options on most amps

Heavy beyond a doubt as it is a high watt amp, but I guess that's why bands have roadies - lol. Could of used some sliding feet on the sides like some other amps use. Otherwise I guess to get an amp stand to get the sound pointing towards you.

Built like a tank and it is made for roadwork. Careful on the knobs when moving though. The repair involved makes you want to cry just to change a knob. Manfacturing is not always user friendly afterwards.

As usual, Peavey guitar amps give some of the best sound for the buck!

MGR/Punk in Drublic01/12/2004

MGR/Punk in Drublic's review"Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube"

Peavey Bandit 112
I bought this amp with my godin guitar and got a sweet deal on it (somthing like $400 CAN before taxes). I bought it from Murch Music in Ontarion, Canada after having it reocomended to me from a friend. 80/100 watt.

This is an amzing amp, sounds great with tons of different guitars and any style of music, has lots of different sounds and settings to play with and amazing distortion.

Nothing really, abit heavy and bulky, could use a head phone jack...but who needs that when you can just piss of the neighbors with the amzing volume this amp puts out for a 80 watt.

Only had it for 4 months...no problems seems well built and everything seems in a good place. The pedal has a cheap feal to it but it is effective...and free.

Amazing amp for the money and size. Good for anything and everything. I have no doubt that this amp could blow away any other amp in its price range and size with its superior sound quality and settings. Now go out and buy one so you can go show it off.

MGR/Anonymous01/20/2003

MGR/Anonymous's review"Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube"

Peavey Bandit 112
i do not have this amp yet but i will be getting it soon. i will be getting it from my local music store called mac's music store. it is a very good priced amp at only £200 second hand.

it is a very good quality amp and the sheffield speaker gives out good overdriven sound and a nice clean sound. the reverb is very good for lots of differnt styles. you could use this amp for probably any stule of music from blues to rock and to metal i think that the best feature of this amp is the thrash distortion setting.

very well built good strong design.

so all i can say is that it is a bloody good amp.

MGR/Old Gigger12/29/2002

MGR/Old Gigger's review"Peavey Bandit 112"

Peavey Bandit 112
Bought this amp new in Australia for A$799.

I wanted a tube sounding solid state amp which didn't cost a fortune. It has a good range of sounds and the clean channel is really Vox/Fenderish (I know for a fact, as I have an old AC30 on loan which I have to return) Goodby tubes (unless someone gives me a lot of cash, and I would still keep the Peavey)

A pity its made in China, but most electronic components come out of there anyway, regardless of what amp you buy. Stil, thats why the price is so great. The speaker has no label on it and I think it might be a weak point (I fitted an old JBL 2130 and it sounds brilliant).
Channel switching on footswitch is obvious and should be audibly smoother.

Pretty well-built. It is not a lightweight, and should hold up to abuse like any Peavey I have had.

Bang for buck -can't beat it..not perfect but better and more versatile tube sound and EQ- than my Tech 21 Trademark 60 -which is also a top quality amp. Clean channel close to a vintage Vox.
I would suggest fitting a Celestion or JBL speaker to this amp to make it sound as good as just about anything going around. After 30 years of gigging, I am ready to embrace new technology and I think the tube argument is really up in the clouds..If you think its not as warm as tubes, then have a couple of more beers and try again.

MGR/Jim Flood11/27/2002

MGR/Jim Flood's review"Peavey Bandit 112"

Peavey Bandit 112
After comparing all the specs I could find on the web, and hearing all the different amps I could, I decided to purchase the Peavey Bandit 112 from The Whitehouse of Music in West Bend, WI because it was hands-down the best amp of the type I was looking for. I paid $350.00 for it. What a bargain !!

This little amp does it all. It has two channels (footswitchable) that have low, mid, and high EQ adjustment (don't find that on many amps) but it also has a "modern" and "vintage" setting that adjusts the overall voicing of the clean channel. This is very nice. The lead channel has the same feature but also adds a high gain voicing. You can push this channel WAY over the top. Whatever crunch you want, this amp's got it!! The last thing I like is the T Dynamics setting on the power amp. It is described as a power level control (I thought is was like master volume) but it is really a compressor. You can dial-in just the right amount of compression you need.

Stand-alone, the amp is very quiet. When I connect my Peavey UltraVerb II, DigiTech GNX1, or t.c. electronic M-ONE XL to the effects loop there is a noticable rise in the power amp noise, BUT, having the effects inserted this way keeps that noise level constant, cranking-up the input volume doesn't mean even more noise from the effects.
All-in-all, I have no dislikes. I'm very pleased with this amp!

It's light in weight and seems to be built well. I haven't dropped it down the basement stairs (yet) but I expect it would live to play another day.

The bottom line is if you're looking for a nice little combo amp both for playing at home and out gigging, don't look any further. This is your amp !! Just buy one, you won't be disappointed.

MGR/Greg02/07/2002

MGR/Greg's review"Peavey Bandit 112"

Peavey Bandit 112
I bought this amp at daddy's junky music. I paid $350.00 for it. It's a great amp. You can get all kinds of sounds from country/blues-rock/metal.

Looks and features are great. Loud and from what the sales people told me it's the absolute best in the price range.

Nothing

Well built

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good amp to practice on in private or for band practice