• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Peavey Rage 158

Average Score:3.9( 3.9/5 based on 54 reviews )
 15 reviews28 %
 21 reviews39 %
 14 reviews26 %
 3 reviews6 %
Audience: Beginners Value For Money : Excellent
yoTrakkz11/08/2011

yoTrakkz's review"There are others that are better than this."

Peavey Rage 158
I rented the Peavey Rage 158 from a local store to try with my new ESP LTD KH202 guitar. I used to have a Behringer amp with dial-in presets and I hated searching for presets on it (100 effects on a dial with a list of settings in the manual) so I was reluctant to get another modeling amp. This changed my mind about modeling amps.

The presets are easy to dial up using different banks (user, song, artist) with a display that spells out the selection. The amp sounds great for the rock and metal I have been playing on it. I even like the sound of some of the 1950s presets and may toy around with some oldies too. It doesn't come with a full manual but you can download it from the Peavey website (I printed mine out and put it in a notebook for quick reference). Also, it helps to read the FAQs on the website.

I recommend getting the FBV Mk2 Express footboard to go with this since you can control volume, quick loop, and the tuner with it (among other things). I am just now tapping into all the features of it so I am sure there is much more I need to learn about it.

This amp is good for being loud all the time even when you not playing the feedback is too much for me. If you can fine tune this thing and like the sound you get out of it, go for it, but if you like to change sounds often or just need a better amp in general, get one of the earlier spiders (series II or III) they are way better and a better value for your money. Not that spider overal is better than peavey , but this amp isn’t the best one that Peavey makes.
heads on fire10/24/2011

heads on fire's review"Line 6 Spider is better for the same price."

15W
8" Blue Marvel speaker
2 channels
3-band EQ
Tape or CD input
Modern/vintage voicing switch
15"W x 14"H x 8-3/4"D
13.9 lbs.
Small, compact, and lightweight.

This is a good little practice amp. It has no effects, like reverb, delay, or anything like that, which is a touch disappointing to a new player. One can find a used Line 6 Spider series in the 15 watt versions for the same price as a used Rage 158, and the Line 6 will do a lot more. But that isn't to say this isn't a good amp - if you find one for less than 40 bucks used, it's probably worth it. One thing I used to do as a kid was run an out from this into the power amp section of a tube amp, and it sounded really neat - I thought the tone was reminiscent of Tom Morello from Rage Against The Machine. So if you do end up getting this amp, neat sounds can exist even at stage volume, if you get creative.

It's a decent-sounding amp for what it is. It's no Bogner or Diezel or Trainwreck, but it's not designed to be. It gets clean, it gets dirty, and the EQ is pretty tailorable, so the sounds this can get are varied. It's a practice amp, so one probably isn't expecting to record a platinum hit with it - it's meant to use for practice, and it works for that purpose.

Sevens across the board. I like the amp, but again, the Line 6 Spider series is a better buy for the price range. I liked my Rage growing up, but Line 6 wasn't around then. The Rage works for practice - the external input is a nice bonus. If I was given this amp, or if it was dirt dirt cheap, I'd probably buy one and use it just for sentimental reasons, and it would still get the job done.
iamqman06/23/2011

iamqman's review"Peavey scores again!!!!"

Peavey Rage 158
Peavey does it again with there inexpensive and fantastic sounding amplifiers. This amp is only a simple 15 watta amp with loads of options to boot. It is a solid state amp that has a clean channel, a lead channel and a simple Eq section. You also get an input, a CD player input, and a headphone jack for silent playing at your home or office.

There reason isn't anything special about this amp other than it is cheap and good enough for practicing your guitar chops. Some of the latest editions to this model had a modern and vintage voicing switch on the lead channel. This one has is but the original I don;t think had one on the front panel.

Features

Tape or CD input
Modern/vintage voicing switch
15"W x 14"H x 8-3/4"D
13.9 lbs.

The tone from the transtube is exceptional as far solid state amps go. This isn't going to sound exactly like a tube amplifier, but they get it sounding much better than most solid state amps out there on the market.

I like a Peavey amp with a good sounding Gibson Les Paul or SG guitar. I find that the match between those Gibson mentioned and the Peavey tone matches up much better than Fender guitar. Peavey's can tend to have a shrive distortion tone that needs to be tamed a bit with a good mahogany wood body guitar.

Peavey has since discontinued these amps and are now focusing on there Vypyr series which has now become a huge hit. They still use transtube technology in many of their current amps.

Since they no longer produce this amp the used market is the only way to go if you desire this amp. I have seen them on the classifieds for right around $70 to %100. Not a bad price for a good sounding solid state practice amp with multiple channels. I highly recommend this amp for someone needing a good silent amp for practice.
King Loudness04/26/2011

King Loudness's review"Surprising..."

Peavey Rage 158
The Peavey Rage 158 is a fairly typical practice amplifier from Peavey's venerable line of amps. It's a 15 watt solid state amp featuring Peavey's "Transtube" technology. This is supposed to ape not only the tone and harmonics/overtones that a tube amp offers, but also that unmistakable feel that you get when playing through a true tube amp. It's got two channels, clean and drive. The layout is very simple, featuring a single volume for the clean channel and separate gain (pre) and volume (post) controls for the drive channel. Other than that, both channels share an equalization control set of bass, middle and treble controls. The only other features of note on this amp are a 1/4" headphone jack for silent practice as well as a 1/4" auxiliary input for plugging in a CD player or other external device. It features a single 8" Peavey Blue Marvel speaker to cap everything off. All in all it's a decent feature-set considering the amp's then street price of around $100.

When I first got the amplifier, I was about 6 years old and it was the first amp I got that was my own. It is very simple and easy to use, so even at that young age, I was able to dial in reasonable tones that I liked. Even up to the present day. There aren't many features to wrap your head around so that leaves room to just play guitar.

The clean channel has a nice set of tones. I've used it as a rehearsal amp for a jazz project for the last year and it works well enough for that, despite being old and only 15 SS watts. There is some pretty horrendous speaker buzz from age, so that limits me from turning the amplifier up too loudly in these settings. The drive channel is really impressive for a solid state practice amp. Its specialty seems to be a surprisingly killer 80s/90s rock tone that has lots of midrange and a really punchy attack overall.

I've had this amp since new when I was 6. At that time, I was using various Squier, Yamaha, and Epiphone guitars with both single coil and humbucking pickups. At that time I was playing blues and rock music, most often on my own. On occasion I did use this amp for gigs/television appearances, and in those instances the amplifier would be mic'd.

Even today I still use this amp for rehearsals and as a beater, and though it is aged and worn it still sounds great. The Transtube system does have a great sound and though it's not going to ever replace a proper tube amp, it does sound great for what it is. I love the overdrive tones especially and find myself playing lots of 80s riffage and lead based stuff when I'm plugged into the Rage. The amp gives me a wonderful inspiration to play because it sounds good. Most practice amps don't put a smile on my face but this one does.

All in all I feel that this is a great amp for the young guitarist or someone who just needs a small amp to use as a beater/practice amp. I've been using mine for over ten years and it still works very well and sounds great. I've tried the newer versions of the Rage (the one with the red stripe as well as the newer 258 model) and I was not nearly as impressed with those as I was with my 2000 model Rage which the silver stripe. These amps can be picked up cheaply on the used market, so if you are looking for a small, simple, yet great sounding amp on a budget, give the Rage a try. You might be surprised...
JackLudden08/10/2008

JackLudden's review

Peavey Rage 158
This is a small solid state guitar amp. It is a 15 watt amp with an 8 inch speaker. It has a standard guitar jack and also a 1/4" input for CD/Tape. It is a 2 channel amp - a clean and a lead. There are pre and post knobs, a low, mid, and high tone control, and a master volume knob. There is also a headphones jack.

This amp is very simple to use. There are only a few controls and a simple channel switch. It's very easy to modify the sound to try to suit it to what you are playing. The manual provided is clear and easy to understand - it's not a complicated amp.

This amp sounds only fair. First of all it is small, so you won't get any giant, loud sounds out of it. It is a solid state distortion on the lead channel that sounds a bit grainy and dull. The EQ section on it behaves as you'd expect, but the sound of the amp is not great to begin with. The clean channel on this amp is pretty sterile and clear, but doesn't really add anything. There are no built-in effects on this amp to sweeten the deal. If you maybe boost the low and mid depending on your guitar you can get a passable distortion sound but this is no Fender or Mesa.

This was my first guitar amp, I've had it for years and just decided to keep it around. It is small, so it's portable and convenient if you just want it for casual jamming. It is also pretty cheap, which is always nice. However the sound is certainly short of spectacular. Most of what comes out of this amp is pretty tame and thin sounding, there isn't a lot of depth. Also, the distortion tone doesn't change much when you vary the pre knob like you'd get from a nice tube amp, it's all pretty much the same at different volumes. You just have to mess with the EQ section. It is a good value for a beginning guitarist who just wants to be able to hear his guitar as he learns with a little bite on it. Other than that, I'd probably pass on it.
MGR/sebastian08/11/2006

MGR/sebastian's review"Peavey Rage 158"

Peavey Rage 158
i have been playin for about 2 years.im into guns in roses,nirvana,iron maiden,led zeppelin etc. i have a mexican strat 60th anniversary edition right know, althogh i used to play an ibanez gio.

I got this amp from my dad when i first started playing i didnt care if it was a crappy amp or if it was cheap i just wanted to start playing.

i like this amp because its it gives out alot of sound and the distortion has alot of grunge to it.

the only thing i dont like about this amp is that its small i like big durable ones.

the quality is alright just a little flimsy.

after all its been through its held up pretty well its a good starter amp. i reccomend getting a pettle though if you want to continue using this amp.

MGR/Igor12/25/2004

MGR/Igor's review"Peavey Rage 158"

I got this at my local music store, it was around 120US$

This little thing is great, it has a nice clean tone. Its pretty loud for a 15W amp. The clean sound is consistant throughout the volume range (sounds great at low or high volumes). It has an ample amount of bass. it also features a 3 band EQ. You can really notice the cutoff and boost range. It also has built in distortion. It has a guitar input (affected by EQ and distortion) It has a second input (not affected by EQ or dist.) you can use for another guitar or some line level output that you might wanna amplify. It has a Vintage/Modern swich. Despite what people say, YOU CAN NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE (people that dont notice it are deaf or not as well ear trained as they'd like to think). The vintage mode brings out the mids and highs, it makes it sound somewhat like a tube amp (especially with good quality pickups). The modern mode is a bit more flat, but it does somewhat boost the lower end.

The only things i would have a problem is that the distortion could have been better. The sound of it kinda breaks appart when you crank it up.

Otherwise.. everything is perfect

Its a sturdy unit, you can store cables and such in the back. Its very solid, no unwanted vibrations or rattling at high volumes. The case brings up the low end of the sound spectrum.

This is a great product for its price..! The EQ allows you to create a lot of different sounds. its a good practice amp. You can even jam. youll be heard over the drums and bass. Its not great to perform to an audience unless you play solo, or with someone else.

bottom line: if you can find it for less.. its a steal. you should be very happy with it

MGR/I Like Dirt04/08/2004

MGR/I Like Dirt's review"Peavey Rage 158"

I got this guitar at Fret Music with a Peavey Plus EXP guitar for £150

The nice cruchy distortion, good for any style of rock you could think of, IT IS SO LOUD!!!

Hmm, the clean tone isn't really up to much but I can't really think of much else.

Not really sure, never left my bedroom really.

Good for playing by your self or jamming with just drums but I wouldn't count on it for anything else.

MGR/Anonymous03/11/2004

MGR/Anonymous's review"Peavey Rage 158"

Peavey Rage 158
Bought from The Rhythm House Hanley Stoke on Trent.I got this to play reasonably loud with good tone and to use headphone channel
Paid £69.99

Good Construction - Looks like an amp should.
Good sound at low volume and at higher volume on clean channel
Dirty channel breaks up a bit at higher volume but nothing drastic

Nothing really

Solid. Looks the part like one of its bigger brothers
Excellent quality.

I would recommend this to any one looking for a well made practise amp. enough variation on the clean and dirty channels to make it versatile.
Good Headphone line and CD mixing capability.

MGR/David W..02/05/2004

MGR/David W..'s review"Peavey Rage 158"

Peavey Rage 158
I went to a local shop and looked around to find an amp for christmas because I was in need of one. I was on a $100 budget, so I found this Peavey amp. The guy at the desk played every type of song in this, so I bought it.

When at high power, the distortion sounds almost like a tube amp. The clean sounds pretty good.

When at low, there is no distortion, even on the distortion channel. No effects (you get what you pay for). Distortion can be a little funky sounding at times, which is why I want to get a pedal.

This seems high quality, even though I've only had it for a few months. I have dropped it hard before, but it only got a few knicks.

This is a pretty solid amp that can last you if you don't want to play a gig. It's a good practice amp. The distortion isn't that good, so you might want to get a pedal.