Focusrite ISA428 MkII Pre-Amp
The ISA428 MkII is a four-channel mic preamp and A-D converter.
Like its predecessor, the ISA428 MkII features four of Focusrite's transformer-based ISA preamps. These are the same as those found in the Forte console. Each channel has phantom power and phase-reverse controls, plus switchable input impedance and an adjustable high-pass filter.
Mirroring the feature set of the original model, the MkII also has an optional eight-channel A-D converter upgrade, which converts signals from the preamps and an additional four line-level inputs to 24-bit digital data streams at sample rates of up to 192kHz. New to the ISA428 MkII is a switched-mode power supply, which lowers the internal noise and heat output of the unit, and reduces its weight.
The most noticeable difference is the removal of the large moving-coil peak meters of the ISA428. Metering duties on the MkII are handled by per-channel, six-step LED bargraph displays, which monitor the signal prior to the A-D stage, providing status of the preamp's output level. Also removed is the soft limiter feature of the ISA428. In light of this, precise calibration figures are supplied in the user manual, to enable accurate system setup.
- Four ISA-series mic preamplifiers
- Focusrite's flagship preamps, featuring per-channel phantom power, phase-reverse and insert control, and variable high-pass filtering.
- Optional eight-channel A-D converter
- Featuring the same 24-bit/192kHz A-D technology as the ISA828 preamp, boasting a dynamic range of 122dB.
- Switchable input impedance
- Lets you change the input impedance, allowing you to match your mic to the preamp Features the 'ISA110' setting to provide the sound of the Forte's ISA110 module.
- Hi-Z instrument inputs on each channel
- Jack sockets on the front panel allow you to connect instruments quickly.
- Switchable balanced insert points
- Allowing additional hardware to be linked into the signal chain.
- Variable high-pass filter
- Uses the same high-quality circuitry as found on the ISA110 to provide adjustable filtering of frequencies between 16Hz and 420Hz.
- Accurate LED metering
Six-step metering for all input channels, including the four additional A-D inputs.
Pricing & Availability
The ISA 428 MkII is expected to be available in late 2010, priced:
- USA: $1799.99 MSRP / $1499.99 at dealers
- UK: £1199.99 inc. VAT Suggested street price
DE: €1689.99 inc Tax MSRP
For further information, head to www.focusrite.com.
Viewers of this article also read...
- Elysia xpressor 500 The xpressor 500 is our new stereo compressor available in API's 500 series format.
- JoeCo Blackbox Recorder - Lightpipe Blackbox Recorder manufacturer JoeCo has announced that the new digital Lightpipe variant of the award-winning 24-track live recorder is now shipping.
- Audio-Technica AT2021 Condenser Mic Audio-Technica offers the new AT2021 Cardioid Condenser Microphone, designed for home studio and live applications, with extended frequency response, high maximum SPL and wide dynamic range, according to A-T.