or
Create an account

or

Thread mixer and soundcard settings

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 mixer and soundcard settings
whats up guys? okay i'm basically brand new to home recording (i know how to use cooledit with a computer mic but thats it) and i'm lookin to cut a little demo to sell locally so the quality doesn't have to be super professional....i do hiphop so all i record is vocals, so i got a m-audio 2496 soundcard, a audio technica AT3035 condensor mic and a behringer ub 1002 mixer...

mixer: http://www.behringer.com/UB1002/index.cfm?lang=ENG

soundcard: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496-main.html

i got everything hooked up properly and tried recording but the mic sound just isn't as good as i expected for the price i paid....theres knobs on the mixer for low, mid, and eq and i know that makes a difference when you play with them, but i don't know what to set them on....theres also levels that you can set on the soundcard that i have no clue about too....

then theres the problem of what volume to record at, cause the mixer has a ''gain'' knob right below the xlr imput that effects the volume of vocals, then the ''level'' knob at the bottom can turn the vocals up and down as well....and the main fader on the right adjusts the volume level too....

so i basically wanna know what levels can i set my mixer and/or soundcard at to get the best possible sound out of my mic? i know software programs for mixing go a long way for quality too but thats another story....first things first....if anyone can help me out it would be much appreaciated...theres also pics of my mixer if you click on that link so you guys can see what i'm talkin about in regards to the knobs and shit...

thanks alot guys....peace!
Dude-

On that page you linked for the mixer, there is a spot on the lower right that will take you to the manual. In the manual, there is a section called "level setting". This will explain to you how to set the gains on your mixer. I'd leave the levels on the sound card inputs at max.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD