Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

HD 280 Pro, Studio headphone from Sennheiser in the HD series.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

Average Score:4.4( 4.4/5 based on 37 reviews )
 22 reviews59 %
 9 reviews24 %
 5 reviews14 %
 1 user review3 %
View price information
namnibor11/17/2012

namnibor's review"Very good for sound design/synth"

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
These are very well-made and most comfortable headphones I have ever worn and can wear them for hours while twiddling and tweaking parameters in wee hours of night without neighbors thinking aliens have landed. These have in my opinion, the same neutrality in highs, mids and lows; exactly what I hear from my studio monitors with no insanely distorted bass nor aliasing highs--can hear everything clearly at ALL levels of volume. Very good bang for buck and am going to pick-up an extra set as a back-up.
Sennheiser have been sticking to what they do very well for many decades; mics and headphones, unlike many other manufacturers whom also side-step into making all kinds of speakers for sound systems--professional and commercial, and Sennheiser does this well.Sennheiser has never used the newest "seller-point-gimmicks" of having artists in certain genres "endorse a product" while forsaking their legacy. Have gone through a few other types in past that just to don't cut it when I am using multiple modulation sources/destinations in higher-end synths that also just happen to be of German origin.
Sennheiser provides a print-out of the frequency response across spectrum and if one used that in relation to setting-up the bands in a wide spectrum equalizer for just regular listening of music, will see why these are indeed the way studio monitor speakers are in being "flat and equal" with no exagerated lows or highs. You simply can hear everything, even at very low volume. The true test was using them with my newly added Dave Smith Instruments Mono Evolver Keyboard that I now have polychained to a Desktop Evolver. True stereo path for a mono/duophonic voice where half oscillators are real analog, the other half digital, in-fact, wavetables--with true analog filterson both sides because this instrument can make the deepest juicy bass as well as in a good way crazily distortion laddened output hack highs--with these headphone not breaking a sweat with that and infinite possibilities therein.
The noise isolating/canceling is very good and can see why DJ's and sound guys at the helm of the band on-stage love these as well.
Only wished I had learned about these before going through a few other brands and yes, would purchase these for twice the going price. It's rare to be able to wear set of headphones for really long periods without feeling uncomfortable, nor encountering "listening fatigue", and Sennheiser makes/stocks replacement parts if needed for these, and yes, even for products of theirs still in-service from the 70's. Simply love them still--more than a year later, having put them through alot of synth sound programming. There's a reason the term "Pro" is utilized in product name!
sw8011/13/2012

sw80's review"wear them forever"

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
The Sennheiser HD 280 PRO just got introduced to me a few weeks ago when I was in a local studio. I currently use a few different headphones that I am not too happy with so hearing the sound of the HD 280 Pro was “music to my ears”! They are circumaural headphones that you can fold up and take with you anywhere. They are very durable and will last you a long time. As soon as I put them on my head I notice how comfortable they are, I could where them for hours without them getting uncomfortable or irritating.

The frequency response on them is 8 Hz to 25 kHz, they provide some really low frequencies that I really love. When it comes to bass in headphones I am very picky because sometimes headphones can really overdue the bass and that is great for just listening but when it comes to mixing a track I don’t like overdone bass. The bass on the HD 280 is very clean and crisp. It still has that low end thump to it, but it does not have a muddy sound at all. I am fully comfortable with mixing a bass track in these headphones after just using them one time. The tone is very consistence with all types of different music and styles.
The come with a 1/8 and ¼ adapter and the cord is about 10 feet long making them great for live use as well as studio use because you can stretch them anywhere. These headphones are very affordable and I would choose them over any set of headphones that I have purchased in the last 3 years (and I have went through a lot of headphones). I am going to purchase a few pair of these headphones in the future for my studio. They are comfortable with a great sound, clean highs, well balanced mids, and warm low tones. They are a must have.
stompboxjon10/18/2012

stompboxjon's review"Good but not good enough"

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
The Sennheiser HD 280 PRO are an affordable pair of headphones that have a closed back circumaural technology. You can purchase these headphones for around 105 USD online. I was at first on the fence with the HD 280 PRO because I could not get a good mix with using them. But after a while I started to get use to them and then decided they weren’t that bad once I got to “understand” them. They are very comfortable and you can wear them for hours without them irritating your ears or head. The ear cups are very soft and have a nice cushion on them. The external noise is at bay when wearing the 280 PRO, though they are not true isolation headphones you can still block out most of the external noise with them.

One issue that I have experienced over time using the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO is that after long use with them the ear pads will get worn down bad. You will need to replace them if you use these as your main headphones and put them through a lot of wear and tear. They new ear pads will cost about 20 USD for a pair of them and they are easy to put on.

The HD 280 is a decent set of headphones for the price, but I just really don’t trust them all the way because the low end is a little bit too much for me. It is clean, but it's over done, there is just too much deep bass in these headphones. When I mix I like to have a flat and kind of dull low end. The highs are clean though, and the mids are solid. But for the price of 105 dollars for this pair and then needing to replace the ear pads less than a year later that’s another 20 dollars. They really are not worth the buy, there are a lot of other brands that cost around 150 that sound excellent!
chrislieck09/25/2012

chrislieck's review"Buy AKG 240s instead"

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
These are over rated. I don't like any headphones that you can't do a basic mix down on. These type of headphone have a great deal of misrepresentation on the low end. I think that they boost the lows more than you really hear. They are not flat and that is what you need. I would get a pair of AKG 240's instead. There was no headroom in these headphones and that does not bode well for feeding hot levels or strong low levels at 40 to 60 hz. I don't pay attention to headphone specs, who does, they all claim to be flat from 20hz to 20kz but that is not saying much. Consider that with any headphones you have to consider what you are feeding them as far as signal and as far as what you are using them on. If you are feeding bass and drums to these headphones you fill find that they break up at the 40hz range. I don't get that from lets say a pair of AKG 240's. I live the fact that some of the new styles of headphones are cheap but if I am buying any phones that are near the 70-$100 range I again will move to the AKG's to be safe. You have to remember that there is no real consolidated view of what someone likes in a headphone.

I prefer a set that you can hit hard and not have any distortion. Headroom and clarity are a must. These cans are clean and I don't have a problem with the cleanliness just the fact that they don't take a great deal of level for drums and bass. Use them for vocals and you will be fine. Many of our recording students get these phones and are into HIP HOP and even mix on these headphones. I notice that the bass on their mixes is not placed correctly and that is common on headphone mixing but in these phones your really not getting a full representation of even the basics of the mix. I at least use phones to hear the vocal placement or vocal compression just as a basic quick reference and not on all mixes. But, if i want to just cut vocals these will do for a quick vocal session. Not enough isolation for drummers and I would not use any headphone but the Vic Firth on or for drummers that need click isolation. I like headphones in this price range to at least have a flat frequency sound. To check headphones I always pump singers and kick drum at high levels and if the low mid like at 220 is distorting with about 5 db of gain I will only use them for simple vocal or voice overdubs.
MountAnDewMe08/08/2012

MountAnDewMe's review"Great cans for your DAW and more."

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
I got these as part of a combo deal partnered with a two microphone set. I had a different set of cans I was happy with at the time and figured they would just be back ups when needed. Well, being curious in nature I had to test them out before putting them in the closet and well I was very impressed to say the least. These instantly became my primary set and my others were exiled to the self.

For starters these are nice full sized headphones with a closed back design. The ear cushions are insanely comfortable and the head band is not uncomfortable. There is a coiled cord that comes down from one side. I am not a fan of wearing cans mainly because I do sweat a bit much. I did tend to sweat a tad bit more in these than other sets I have owned but that truly is the only down side to them.

The main reason I personally need cans around is for situations that arise regularly in my home were there is no way I can run any volume at all. I have small children and usually I get to record in the late hours when the house needs to be quiet. My usual complaint about the headphones I have owned in the past is that there always seems to be a coloring in the sound. Not a small amount but usually a big peak or valley of color that really pigeon holes the uses they are good for.

The Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones in my experience, while not perfectly flat, are the closest things to using a set of near field monitors. The tone is mostly even across the spectrum. The lows are full and rich while not being boomy. The mids are pronounced without being overbearing, they fit in the pocket. The highs are well accentuated and not harsh with nice timbre in the high end harmonic overtones. These are not only good for tracking but can be used to get a nice rough mix together that I found once I learned the sound left only minor adjustments when I was able to crank up my monitors. Feel free to use them for any other multimedia purpose as well, they sound great for general music playback and rule for listening while watching a movie.

I love these headphones and while I have not owned a ton of higher cost headphones I feel I can safely call these a best value for the money. They have lasted me for more than a few years and see a ton of use in my home. They are a definite keeper.
nickname00906/03/2011

nickname009's review

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
These are simple in design and very comfortable to wear for long periods of time, but not forever!

I've worn them for editing during mixing and also for listening to music while travelling or just for isolation. All of which, these have done an adequate job. In terms of sound quality, it's very neutral sounding. So in terms of listening to music, it may not be for everybody, as nearly all types of music, are not as 'enhanced' sounding as other headphones might be. But it is definitely very clear and you can literally hear everything that's put through it! All the clicks/glitches/white noises and pops are heard!

However, the sound is subjective and over time I've noticed that either these are very neutral sounding, or they're very bright and have a lot of treble. I noticed this when I turn up whatever it is I'm hearing on the cans, as the volume goes up, the high frequencies are boosted primarily more than any bass, so the signal starts to become harsh and shrill, not distorted though, these phones are not broken! It's just what I've noticed when compared to other headphones. However, they are not the brightest headphones I've tried. Though they are definitely very comfortable as the design is great and the ear muffs actually fit AROUND my ears making it comfortable as to some other headphones that squash the outsides of the ear thus making it not comfortable to wear for long periods of time. This isn't to say that I haven't been exhausted from wearing these, I have. And I've come to the conclusion that there are no such headphones that one person can wear for a long period of time and not eventually feel discomfort, it's inevitable, the only difference that different headphones make with comfort, is how long you can actually wear them for.

As for isolation it is also quite good. I've used it myself tracking loud guitars and my drummer's used them for both tracking and rehearsing with a click. He's had no problems hearing through them while playing. I believe these have become sort of the staple headphone for recording and tracking. Almost every studio I've been to has had these laying around somewhere just like a 57. Rightfully so, they're very adequate and fairly priced!
mtebaldi05/09/2010

mtebaldi's review"Sennheiser HD 280 Pro"

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
I'm a drummer. I'm originally from Brazil. I play in a band called Glint.

The Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones is the ones I've been using for the last couple of years for rehearsals, studio recordings and live performances. I don't have to mention how important is to a drummer hear the rest of the instruments while playing the loudest one, with the only exception of the ear-piercing guitar solos coming from an amp pointing directly at you. These headphones besides isolating, what I can bet, yours overly worked ears, they can deliver a clean and accurate mix from, not only what the rest of the band is playing, as what your drum sticks are producing everytime you excite the skins of your kit. You can play with them for hours and they are super comfortable, and because of its robust and impermeable construction, it makes very resistant to sweat, what for a drummer, ends up being very important. I had headphones in the past that starting to literally desintegrate after long hours of playing.

The 280 HD pro are in the market from a price around $150.

<a href="http://www.glintonline.com">http://www.glintonline.com</a>

Besides giving clean monitoring these headphone seat comfortably on your head and give a great isolation from noisy sources.

With 8Hz to 25Khz frequency response, these closed, dynamic headphones are really well built. They are collapsable and come with a coiled cord.

The comfort and quality of this headphones make them a great buy for various monitoring applications.

moosers02/21/2009

moosers's review

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
I've been using the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro studio headphones for three or four years. I found these headphones to be useful in a number of different situations. It is great for simply listening to on when recording, but I have also found it useful to A/B mixes to see if they sound good on listening devices other than my studio monitors. They portray an accurate picture of the audio you are playing, although they seem to have a huge low end presence for headphones. They also works great for just simply listening to music on the go. The headphones are built well and won't break easily if you treat them right. The cans are big and will fit just about anyones head with the adjustable top. I would compare these headphones to a pair of Sony MDR-V500DJ studio monitors, as they are a similar price and are made at a similar quality. While they are both great sounding headphones, I like the HD 280 Pros best because they are extremely full sounding and cover a great deal of low end response for a pair of headphones. It is crisp and clear across the frequency spectrum and has an impressive overall response for such a small set of speakers. I have grown to love the products that Sennheiser makes, from headphones like these to the high quality microphones they make. I trust them to make good products at a good price, and this pair of headphones is a prime example. The price is beyond reasonable and has actually been coming down in price for a little while. I can't say enough about how impressive these headphones are for such a cheap price. I would recommend these to anyone who needs studio headphones for any type of use at all, as they are a great for any type of overall listening use.
FP User10/31/2008

FP User's review

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
They have a really long forgiving cord! gold plated screw on 1/4&quot; jack.. I've yet to find a better hadphone for the price!

100.00

I like these for the fact that they are fully enclosed, and really easy on my ears, I use them for dj'ing, and production..

user replaceable parts..

Very sturdy, Yet super comfy, kind of bulky.. Made in swisserland..

nuff luv, nuff luv Ill never need anything else... I'm scyched!

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Unknown ( 5-, 2003)
JackLudden08/10/2008

JackLudden's review

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
This pair of headphones is overall a great one, and I have specifically found them very useful for recording drummers. I've been using these for a couple of years. Probably one of their best features is the degree of isolation they provide. When recording a drummer, you need to get enough isolation so that they can hear the click track and/or music track/other musicians above the huge volume of their own drum set. These closed ear phones go on your head very tight, so that you can get a drummer to hear what they need to without necessarily blowing out their eardrums with huge volumes. The downside to this great isolotion is that they are not as comfortable as other headphones. Since they're tight on your head, they can get rather uncomfortable after wearing them for a while.

The other downside to the isolation is that singers will often not like it, because it will start to sound like they are listening to their voice come from somewhere else, instead of hearing themselves sing, which can be distracting. Taking one ear cup off can help this, however. The overall sound quality is quite good - the bass is better than you find on most headphones and all the other frequencies are well represented. They are also fairly durable - they are made from a thick plastic so these will be hard to break. They come with a 1/4&quot; adapter which is nice and sometimes essential to have. So these may not be the best thing for monitoring in most situations, but they are very well suited to drum recording and listening to music in noisy places.

At about $200, they are a good deal. They are obvious competition with Sony's MDR 7506 headphones, and frankly they complement each other nicely. I would buy them again, but probably having one is enough for a studio unless you have a really loud band.