Create an account

or

Thread setting up home studio

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic setting up home studio
hi all

i'm a newbie from australia first timing on this board, hopefully will be frequenting it a little more in the future though.

i'm currently at the planning stage of my home studio - reasearching, seeking advice, visiting my local music shop (a valid reason this time, not just to go in and talk/play guitars)..

proposed studio
with my computer (p4 2.6, 1GB RAM) and some advice i've been given, i'm looking at building with the following:
STAudio 8 channel C-Port
1 Rhode NTK Vocal Mic
2 Rhode NT5 Condenser Mics
1 AKG D112 Mic
A set of Yorkville Monitors

current set up
to date i've spent very little on recording equipment:
1 AKG 880 mic
1 Shure PG57 mic
1 Behringer XM2000S Mic
Tascam 414 4-track tape recorder

the way i have it set up at the moment is to run the mics into the 414 then run the line-out into the line-in on my PC, seems to work ok. once i have an ok sound out of the 4 track i record on the PC.. i'm monitoring the sound from a pair akg headphones attached to the PC. i'm recording using Cool Edit Pro, doing some mastering/cleaning up with WaveLab 4.

for years i have been mucking around with the 4 track on a tape only basis more often than not with very cheap mics. for the last 12 months or so i've been making the transition from tape->pc. but dont get me wrong, the 414 is still a handy little unit.

Now it's PC all the way and I'm wanting to expand what I've got, what i'm doing and how i'm doing it.

i joined this forum to listen to what other people are doing and hopefully learn some more tips/tricks on recording. so if anyone has any advice to give on planning a home studio i'm all ears! :)
Hi brendonpyers,

Nice stack on your photo ;-)

Both rode NTK and NT5 are for me best in their class. The AKG D112 is one of the most famous for big pressure condition, it's of course a good choice. I don't know the Yorkville monitors.

But I'm not convinced the STAudio is a good sound card... I own 2 different Hoontech (DSP24 and 2000) and I find that the features are definitivly not dedicated to recording!!!! the circuits are not optimised for routing signals as you can do it on a classic mixing table... and the drivers offer the minimum features you can imagine. I would really prefer M-Audio or RME products.
Thanks for your reply Krowms, I shall research some more.

I've been told the Motu stuff is good, a tad beyond my $ scope though....

Ahhh the stack.. It's my Line 6 and a cheapy 4x12 Laney cab.... Good none the less :) Doesn't beat my marshall though.
Brendon-

Take a good look at the MAudio Delta 1010. It's probably the best bang for the buck out there for multiple input cards.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD