or
Create an account

or

Thread Huh-? My story?...

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 0 follower
1 Huh-? My story?...
Hey, so I'm new to digi recording, and am not an old seasoned hand at analog.

I'm a bass player, and have had some pretty good recording experience though, as well as lots of live stuff: Musical theatre, tons of club gigs. I also teach bass guitar at a local music store in RI.

I dove into this 'cause my rhythm section partner, a smokin' drummer (really) and a very best friend of mine died of brain cancer before he could finish putting together his digital recording studio (two years ago). It was to be a co-operative artists' production scene, and I've sort of decided to do a very scaled-down version of what he was after. His sister sent some "leftover funds" from his unfinished project to a few of us after he "left"- so we redeem loss as best we can through small opportunity. You can't just drop the ball- that would dishonor everything.

So here's the set-up:
Intel Celeron 2Ghz CPU; 266MB DDR RAM; 40 GB Hard Disc space, 7200 rpm's. Suitable monitor resolution, a couple CD burners, DVD burner,
Fostex PM0.5 active Near-Fields.
Using a Tacam US-428 USB interface/controller and running it off Cool Edit Pro 2.0. Also have Soundforge and Acid 3.0, though I'm not ready to learn that stuff just yet! (Martin was using a Super-Duper Mac and ProTools. Hey, I'm doing the best I can, here!)

I'm importing a lot of 4-trk cassettes to the CEP, for starters, and saving the raw .wav files to DVD for archiving, and future use (this is all stuff we did over a period of several years... a lot of Crimson-influenced madness, et al. So we've got to get CD's produced and distributed to my bro's survivng friends and family- they're all waiting!...). :shock: I am, however, pretty proud of what we did! :)

SO...

I'm going to be around, asking a lot of questions- and I'll try to be only just annoying enough to get the answers I'm after- and of course be more than willing to share info, accrued knowledge and ground-breaking discoveries with the population at large. :mrgreen:

Thanks for reading, and if you've got something you want to do, do it now!

Talk to ye',
Rog.