Orange Rocker 30
Orange Rocker 30

Tube Combo Guitar Amp from Orange belonging to the Rocker 30 series.

Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 03/15/09 à 11:47
(Originally written by gp54/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
30-watt tube amp with three 12AX7 preamp tubes and two EL34 power tubes. One input, two channels. The clean channel only has a volume control. The dirty channel has a gain control and a 3-band EQ. The combo has a standby switch to warm up the tubes. It has one 16 ohm speaker output, two 8 ohm speaker outputs and a footswitch connector for channel selection.

It's a simple and effective amp but I miss an FX loop (like on the Rockerverb 50).

Very easy to use: power on the amp, wait until the tubes are warm and start playing! The amp provides a good natural sound, you really have to try to get a bad sound. No user's manual but you won't need it!

I play with a Gibson Les Paul Classic and a Fender Strat Highway One and the sound is great. This amp provides a real good sound considering its size.

The clean channel sounds transparent. The sound starts to crunch with the volume control set to 5, if you use humbucker pickups. With single coils, the sound starts to crunch when you set the volume to 7 or 8. I haven't tested it with distortion pedals but I can't imagine it could sound bad.

The dirty channel is THE reason I bought this amp. The response ranges from slight crunch to straight rock sound. I'm sure the gain of this channel isn't enough for heavy metal players, but they can still get their favorite sound using a good distortion pedal with the clean channel. The sound is really excellent. It has a lot of presence and huge dynamics I had never heard before!

The gain control is also great because the dirty channel starts to crunch you set it to 3-4 and it gets really wild when you get to 6. If you set it to 3 you get ZZ Top's La Grange sound, at 5 you get AC/DC, and at 6 you get Airbourne! The sound range is very wide. You'll get the best results with 80's and 90's rock. The frequency response is well-balanced and it provides strong low-mids which help your instrument to cut through the mix.

You'll have to crank it up if you want to get the most value out of it: a killer sound! But you can also play at home thanks to the very responsive master control.

I've been using it for two months and it's a really good product. I bought it because of Orange's reputation. I'm a believer!

I like this amp a lot for its sound character and its huge dynamics.

I previously tested many tube amps: Marshall JVM, Laney, Vox AC, etc., but if you're looking for a pure sound and a huge dynamic response, I strongly recommend you Orange!

For me, the value for money is good because I bought when the price was dropping! Now that the price is up again, I still find the value for money is good considering the quality of the product.

Of course I would buy it again. But if I had more money I would choose the Rockerverb 50...