MOTU Ethno is a virtual instrument that specializes in emulating world music instruments. It was easy enough to install as I had it up only within a few minutes. I've never had any compatibility problems as I use this virtual instrument with Digital Performer which is also made by MOTU. The interface of the software is somewhat complex when compared to some other virtual instruments only because there are so many different possibilities. It has all sorts of presets that can be altered in tone as well as all sorts of effects and tone parameters. The manual for MOTU Ethno is pretty thorough and should be kept around when trying to learn all of the ins and outs of this software.
I've never had any issues running this software as it has always run pretty smoothly with my configuration. I'm currently running this software on a Mac Book Pro that has a 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4 GB of RAM and I can safely say that I've never had any problems with this virtual instrument. This isn't a virtual instrument that I use everyday but only when I feel that it is necessary and will add something and I don't really use too many of them at a time. While it has run well for me, it really all depends on your computer and how many of these you'd like to run at once.
Overall, MOTU Ethno is a pretty awesome virtual instrument because it is capable of getting so many different types of sounds. It contains emulations of world music instruments of all types including instruments from India, China, and all over the world. It contains a 4 GB library in all and really has just about any world instrument that you can think of. If you find yourself wanting to add unique world instruments to your pieces, MOTU Ethno is a great investment as it isn't all that expensive and gives you a lot of bang for your buck.
Did you find this review helpful?yesno
philippemoebius's review (This content has been automatically translated from French)
- Installation is it without problem? : On the contrary srieux problem
- Have you experienced any incompatibility? : I installed this software on any PC thanks 4 the Cl iLock it is enough to plant into a USB port for ACCS to soft (even when it is very practical and well better than the fucking internet permits) on 2 teams of PC Windows XP Pro: Can not open it.
On the other two: one with Windows XP Home and Logic Audio 5.5.1: can not open in Logic Audio or Logic is too old or too young Ethno, conflict of generations.
On the last PC, opening stand alone, but large glitches can cost sounds. Ds that you play a note, part of the interface duplicates and overlaps the main screen, it's pretty soft as ol ol.
- The configuration gnrale is easy? When you arrive to open the main window is fairly clear and well done. Seen quite well: there is only one window at all (no menus everywhere)
- The manual is clear and sufficient? ... the manual is in English but full trs
What is the configuration of your computer? (Motherboard / CPU / Ram / Disk / sound card ..) while pentium with lots of stuff that heat and make strange noises
- The software works he correctly on this configuration? dj should get open
- What performance? (If quantifiable): it is given to 64 multitimbral channels. But only one that works well, have a super dj t
- This software + hardware configuration is stable? I do not know, was trembling all over
How long have you use it? since I came to open it in stand alone
- What is the particular feature you like best and least? the sounds are ok, pretty average actually, but for the price, it must be honnte is when even a lot.
The particular feature I like most is the time stretch engine still active when you play a loop across the keyboard, the tempo does not change and it's really great because the loops are finally used. Some sounds are excellent, others less so but it's pretty subjective is not it? Intruments on solos, the sound seems average. There are also a lot of loops and phrases, it is always difficult sduisant the cost, but place it in a song. However everyone can find their account.
- Have you tried many other models before acqurir? I have all the soft sounds of ethnic (and bought non-pirated) compltent is all very well. It sr Ethnoworld better at the sound (sounds trs trs prcis and crystalline), but has no time stretch engine. Ra offers indict sounds and the concept of allowing Keyswitch change INTERPRETATION being Thurs What's up to you!
- How do you report qualitprix? If the bug is rsolu quick installation, the ratio quality price is not bad
- With the exprience, you do again this choice? ... Yes, despite all its Misra and the challenge of a new version, I would do this choice
Did you find this review helpful?yesno
astrolab's review (This content has been automatically translated from French)
- The installation is done it without problems?
A slight problem during installation. Nothing serious.
- Have you experienced any incompatibilities?
No, but ... see below (Suitability / Performance)
- The general configuration is easy?
Yes, no problem.
- The manual is clear and sufficient? ...
Especially clear and pedagogical: we learn much about the ethnic instruments.
- What is the configuration of your computer?
PC Dual core 2 x 2.6 Ghz, 2 gigs of Ram, 200 gigs of HDD, sound card Novation Speed / O
- The software works he correctly on this configuration?
Well, no ... I have a PC and a Mac G5. I installed it on the PC for now and I can use it in stand alone mode, but once in Logic, I selected as an instrument VST and I have no sound ... any ideas?
- This software + hardware is stable?
Windows, it's still crap ... I can not wait to install Logic and my synth to my new Mac G5.
- How long have you use it?
2 weeks ... Stand alone mode only, so ...
- What is so special that you like most and least?
I love the interface, beautiful, clear, intuitive.
I like less "loops." I would have preferred more solo instruments.
- Have you tried many other models before buying it?
Yes, I have RA Instruments EastWest and the price difference is clearly justified: RA Instruments is a huge cut above in terms of its finesse and quantities of samples.
- How would you rate the quality / price?
Very very good.
- With experience, you do again this choice? ...
I do not know. If I use it in Logic, in my music, perhaps. For now, Stand alone mode only, I mumuse 15 minutes and then I get bored
In conclusion: very good soft with a lot of sound quality for some. For others, it's a bit dull (the stereo not great) and despite a very good value for money, it can not compete with RA Instruments EastWest which remains a major reference for the ethnic sounds (no fuss, one goes to the essence).