I wrote this on the data sheet AF, I copy here:
Head low amplification Rackmount 2U. Hybrid Technology: pre-amp tubes + power stage transistors.
• 3 12AX7 preamp tubes
• Output Power 350W RMS into 4Ω or 200W RMS into 8Ω
• 2 outputs HP Jack 6.35 or 1 bridged output banana plugs
• preamp outputs line level adjustable by potentiometer: 1 balanced XLR and unbalanced 1 Jack 6.35 - Selection Pre or Post EQ XLR output switch
• 1 loop effect send & return jacks 6.35
• 2 instrument inputs (normal or bright)
• limiting circuit with push / pull on the volume knob
• 2 switches correction Ultra Low & Ultra High
• Tone Control Bass (+ /-12dB @ 40Hz)
• Mid Tone Control by Eq parametric 5 positions (+ /-12dB @ 220Hz, 450Hz, 800Hz, 1.6 kHz and 3 kHz)
• treble tone control (+ /-12dB @ 4kHz)
• Graphic Eq 6 bands (+ /-12dB Low, 100Hz, 250Hz, 750Hz, 2kHz, High) switchable with level control
• footswitch jack on the front (for the activation of the graphic EQ)
• Made in USA in the early 90s replaced by the Pro-SVT3
This is a typical Ampeg, no need for an engineering degree in astrophysics and even less of a manual to make a sound quickly. Moreover, like all Ampeg, it puts everything at noon and it sounds! Magical.
I am using almost never graphic Eq, except sometimes an effect in time.
Since this is a head amp, the sound is much depend on the choice of / speakers ... Personally I used a lot of different speakers, the main ones being:
• 4x10 +1 x15 Ampeg Classic: Excellent, Ampeg sound in all its glory!
• 2x10 +1 x15 Mesa Boogie: Well but the 1x15 plans too far, feeling lack in proximity ...
• Trace Elliott 4x10 (quite old) on the bridged output: this is my current config, this 4x10 is interesting because it strongly reminds me of the sound of "fridges" Ampeg 8x10, tremendous presence, a great wedding with this head!
The key for me is that it has the grain typically Ampeg! Ampeg sound is difficult to describe, but once you met him, it is often for life!
I played all kinds of music style with this head (from rock to punk through r'n'b, funk and metal), she knows everything. For cons, I have often heard that the head was just a little power. These are crap and I'm not at all this place! It is more than enough (and yes I have played with some very noisy people!) As if on one hand you get to put it more thoroughly and that you do not hear is that you play lot, but then too much! I did it with both the club and large scenes festoches open air without any problem!
In addition, I'd say she happily accepts all low: modern, vintage, cheap or luxury, all are accepted without saying a word and with gusto!
It is very difficult to find a fault actually ...
23 years of loyal service! I was very worried when I bought it because it had the daunting task of replacing a head Ampeg V4B and fridge which I loved but it was stolen from me! Expectations were high enough but I was not disappointed! The sound is there and also reliability, not the slightest failure in 23 years! And I have a strange feeling it will still be faithful to me a long time to come ... No desire to change in any case, even if I could try some interesting things (but outside price!) meanwhile ...
Quality / Price / Durability / Reliability exceptional! I would do this choice 200%!