or
Create an account

or

Thread Reasonable latency only at 256 samples. Does that sound right?

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 1 follower
1 Reasonable latency only at 256 samples. Does that sound right?
Hi. I recently (about two months ago) purchased a new Scarlett 2i2 (gen 2) device.
I have the latest driver installed: Focusrite USB ASIO driver (v4.15).
The laptop I'm using is also only about 3 months old and I invested in fairly powerful hardware, so I would not experience any issues when working with audio and video programs. For audio, I am currently using Adobe Audition.

I am able to get to what seems to be very close to zero latency, but only with setting the buffer size in Audition preferences to 256 samples.
For some reason, given the hardware I have in my computer, I was sure I would get zero latency using the Scarlett 2i2 with buffer to 512 samples, but when set to 512 there is small but noticeable latency.

My computer is a new Sagar laptop
Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit
i7-6700HQ
32GB RAM
500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 SSD
the Scarlett 2i2 is connected via USB 3.1 (gen 1)

I sent an email to Focusrite and this is their response:

Quote:
It is not possible to get zero latency through the DAW, as this is the nature of what Buffer Size is.

The Buffer Size controls how many samples the computer is allowed to process the audio before playing it to the outputs.

Samples are thus units of time, as in the Sample Rate. For example, 44.1kHz Sample Rate means the computer is using 44,100 samples of audio per second. Thus if you divide the Buffer Size by the Sample Rate that is your amount of time processing, or latency.

The Scarlett offers the "Zero Latency" feature via the Direct Monitor on the unit, which allows you to hear the live inputs via hardware based monitoring that does not travel through the computer or DAW, and thus is not affected by the Buffer Size.

I'm just wondering if it's reasonable that I would not get negligible latency at 512 samples, given the hardware I have in my setup. Can anyone please let me know what I should expect, and if I should continue taking this up with Focusrite support?

Thanks!