Create an account

or

Thread LIquid Saffire 56 ASIO Troubles!

• 1 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 1 follower
1 LIquid Saffire 56 ASIO Troubles!
Dear forum!

I'm new here and from Austria, so please be patient with my not totally perfect English...

First, my system description:

MixControl v2.4
Liquid Saffire 56
Win 7 x64
Cubase 5 and Reason 4
Core i7 920
ASUS Rampage II Extreme (WITHOUT internal sound card!)
12GB of DDR3 RAM

So, I've bought a few days ago the Liquid Saffire 56 on Thomann. Before I had a quite cheap Creative sound card, which I used with the Asio full duplex driver at 96kHz in Cubase and 32 float bit. This configuration ran at about 10ms - 20ms latency. When it came to clicking (usually with some VSTi), I had to increase the buffer size, so it was just about 30ms latency, but then everything worked!
Then, a few months ago I had the opportunity to buy an M-Audio Fast Track about my school and use it for about half a year at my home. I was then on the M-Audio Fast Track driver (no ASIO driver!) and all run very well. I had about 7 ms latency input / output and NEVER had to change this setting, no matter what I've done and no matter what VSTi plug-in I used.
This time, however, I used to save money for a "great, good and strong" audio interface. My choice was clear early on, namely the Liquid Saffire 56. Today I finally got it and I've set it up the first time. Then I installed the included drivers, connected the interface and turned on. I was about to start in Cubase (of course I started before even the MixControl and placed in Cubase the ASIO drivers from Saffire), but I could not believe my eyes, because the DSP indicator flashed almost solid red! (And this at 48kHz, 32 bit float, 480-bit buffer size and latency of around 30-40ms!). When I've tried to play the, with the M-Audio already begun project, I could not hear any sound except noise and popping with some breaks.

So then I went on the trouble-shooting for my own, but the error was not found until now!
Here's what I've already tried, with a enormous variety of combinations:

Sample rate of 44.1 kHz up to 96 kHz Adjustments => no difference.

Adjustments of Bis from 16bit-32 bit float => no difference.

ASIO buffer size changes of 128-3072 => slightest change, it was at 44.1 kHz + 3072 bit buffer size about 3 seconds till pops emerged the first time, but more begun in very short intervals. What I noticed is that the DSP indicator of Cubase was at the beginning "only" filled to about one-quarter and when I pressed play it increased about a quarter / sec (maybe the buffer does not get cleaned, only filled, till it is full?!). After just about 3 seconds it crackled back through, although I had a latency of >70ms which is absolutely unacceptable (! See M-Audio Fast Track with 7ms !).

FireWire Driver adjustments from short to very long in MixControl => no change except that the lower buffer sizes were no longer eligible.

I have tried in Cubase both other available ASIO Drivers, the ASIO4All and ASIO Full Duplex (Maybe incompatibility with ASIO4All if ASIO Saffire is installed?!) => It got Worse.

I also tried the legacy driver and the other proposed improvements on http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=1071. =>
Unfortunately, very little or no improvements...

In Reason 4 is the whole not quite so bad, but also not bearable. But that would probably be only Reason, because the old Creative problem was in Reason also not so persistent.

Overall, it seems to me, like my problem is very similar to the one, that I had with the Creative in use with the ASIO Full duplex driver, but now in MUCH more extreme form. Apparently, the fault must lie on ASIO, since the M-Audio with the included M-Audio Fast Track driver (NO ASIO driver) was functioning normally ..

I hope that I oversee any possible problems and get a good and soon reply ..

The same was already sent to the Focusrite support!

Best regards
Thomas
Close Thread.

Everything is woriking now.
I've had to optimize my whole system like
http://www.timos-welt.de/win7/Windows_7_PC_als_DAW_optimieren.pdf
and everything is ok.

So Thanks.
Thomas