or
Create an account

or

Thread SCARLETT 8I6

• 9 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 SCARLETT 8I6
Hello, Please could someone advise me the correct setting positions regarding the following.

I am confused at the descriptions given in the Scarlett Mix-control for
the following settings, I.E. Channel 1 = XLR from Mic = Line (not inst)

Channel
1 = XLR from Mic (Vocal) = Line
2 = XLR from Fishman Pro EQ Platinum DI (Electro Guitar) = Line
2 = ¼” Jack from Acoustic Electro Guitar = Inst..?
3 = ¼” Jack from Acoustic Electro Guitar = Hi Gain or Lo Gain..?
3 = ¼” Jack from Fishman Pro EQ Platinum DI (Electro Guitar) = Hi Gain or Lo Gain..?

I would greatly appreciate some clarification

Kind Regards

Amsmarle

[ Post last edited on 03/09/2013 at 13:20:44 ]

Not a lot of activity on this forum, I see a lot of posts remain unanswered.

I know my post is basic, but I gebuinely struggle to work out how the hell you operate the MixControl... and from my recent re-search i am far from alone on this

Alan
Hi amsmarle,

A DI is used to convert high impedance signals to balanced low impedance, so you will setup your channel to Low Imp. on MixControl.
As for your electric acoustic guitar, they usually use high impedance pickups but you should check the model installed. In MixControl, you'll set it up as an Instrument.

Cheers !

[ Post last edited on 03/18/2013 at 14:33:08 ]

Hi thank you for your reply, I have attached a schematic showing a proposed setup.
I know it is the same signal for Ch2 & 3...!!

'Focusrite 8i6'
The channels in use are ch1,2 & 3.
The acoustic guitar is a battery powered piezo PU/EQ

MixControl Settings for CH1,2 & 3 show alternative settings:
Ch1 = xlr Cond-mic (Line or Inst).. which setting..?
Ch2 = XLR from Fishman DI (Line or Inst)...Which setting..?
Ch3 = 1/4" jack (High Gain or Low Gain...(which setting..?

Would I be correct to set as follows Ch1 Mic = Line in, Ch2 = Inst, Ch3 High Gain

Thanks for any help

Best Regards

Alan

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/678/existingsetup.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us" rel="ugc noopener" target="_blank">http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/678/existingsetup.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hey Alan,

On the Scarlett 8i6, only the front panel combo inputs support high impedance signals (instrument input), the rear inputs are dedicated to line signals only. So you can connect you condenser mic to channel 1, the guitar jack output to channel 2 (high Z) and a DI to channel 3.

Regarding the condenser mic, you can set it to Line in MixControl, but if the level is too low (which is common with condenser microphones, I have the same "issue" with mine), you can set it to Instrument, it won't damage your gear. Channel 2 is to be set to Instrument (your guitar with high level) and channel 3 to line (low gain).

Please post the result ;)
Thank you Banshee in Avalon, an excellent reply nicely explained for my novice skills.

So really my Channel 1 & 2 settings are correct with XLR, Ch-3 which is line in from the 1/4" out from the Fishman DI, the settings available there in Mixcontrol are High gain and Low Gain, you say set to Low Gain... why.

The reasons for my questions are because very shortly I will have two 1/4" outs from my guitar 1 x K&K Mini and 1 x existing eq/piezo. My K&K will be CH2 and the the existing eq/di will be ch3. The Fishman pro Platinum will be sold and I may get the Ultrasound DI max. At the moment I'm getting an impedance mis match with the Fishman DI/EQ and the K&K. So I hope then to be sorted

Thanks once more for you comprehensive explanation

Kind Regards

Alan
Without being too technical, Low Gain is commonly used with gear that offer a good line level (+4dB, your DI should), and High gain with gear that deliver low levels (-10dB, like old mixers). It allows for keeping a good signal level.

You say you have an impedance mismatch ? what does it say ?
Thanks for the clarity Banshee in Avalon, Much appreciated:::)

I have installed a K&K Pure Mini SBT, and when I play it via my Fishman Pro Eq Platinum the eq'd (pre or post) XLR sound is a touch muddy (not quite clear). when I play it 1/4" direct into my Focusrite 8i6 it is much better than the Fishman. My K&K supplier has said there could be an impedance mis-match re the Fishman DI (10 M-ohm) & the K&K (1 M-ohm). Since someone is interested to buy my Fishman DI, I have opted for the Ultrasound DI Max. I can then try out blending the K&K and the existing EQ/Piezo.

From the direct K&K sound I am getting I much prefer it to the existing Takamine integrated saddle/PU

Do you think I making the right move..?

Thanks again

Best Regards

Alan
Well, though I should not say it here, I am not a huge fan of the Fishman pickups. I have one on my Taylor electric acoustic guitar and I am planning to change it very soon. Under saddle transducers tend to transform the sound of the guitar and may result quite disappointing.
In studio, I put a condenser mic in front of the sound hole, but in live situation, this is quite tricky.
Now, I can't give you my opinion about the Ultrasound, I never tested it.
Good luck, and send us a sample of that recording ;)
Thank you all, when I get sorted I will send along some samples etc

Thanks again

Alan