Steinberg Cubase SX 1

Cubase SX 1, General Sequencer from Steinberg in the Cubase SX series.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Steinberg Cubase SX 1

• +1
Average Score:4.5( 4.5/5 based on 24 reviews )
 15 reviews63 %
 7 reviews29 %
 2 reviews8 %
AlanForPresident05/08/2012

AlanForPresident's review"moved on and missed it"

Steinberg Cubase SX 1
Cubase SX came out before SX 1 so I had a chance to mess with it for a while, mostly in “demo” mode but it was still the same. At first glance I really wasn’t liking it, didn’t really like the interface and how it was laid out. Coming from a few other software’s it was really confusing to me, it actually wasn’t untill I stop using it that I realized how good it really is.

When I was using it I was using it on a Toshiba Satellite laptop that really didn’t give me to man issues. It did run slow a few times and had some sort of bugs going on with it but that could have been because my laptop just couldn’t handle it. I didn’t get a chance to run it on any different computers before I moved on the SX 1.

Overall, it seemed to be a great software I just wasn’t 100 percent comfortable using it right off the bat. Like I said after I decided to stop using it was when I realized how good it was. I guess the saying is true , “you don’t know what you have until its gone”. I do love Cubase though, never really understand all the different versions they come out with though. Also, when trying to mix my own song down in Cubase SX just didn’t work for me either, I couldn’t get a good clean mean. All of my mixes came out to be pretty “light”. I mostly make hip hop and dubstep music so I need a full thick sounds and I had a hard time getting it. So I moved all of the .wav files out to pro tools so I could get the sound that I was looking for. But Cubase SX is a good program to get your feet wet in and understadn how “new” age daws operate.
yoTrakkz09/08/2011

yoTrakkz's review

Steinberg Cubase SX 1
Cubase SX is a program that many people still use today even though its an older version of the high quality program from Cubase. This program allows you to edit midi files extremely easy, some of the easiest midi file editor program on the market today. Not to mention you can do some editing with raw audio tracks and other formats as well as .mp3 and .wav. You can also export in several different files as well.

I ran Cubase SX on a windows xp computer for about a year before I finally upgraded to the next version of Cubase. I never had a single problem with it or a single crash in when using all of the available tracks and maxing out the mixer tracks with all types of effects, hardly any lags when running Asio drivers. There are a lot of different versions of cubase out right now, in my opinion it really doesn’t matter which version of Cubase you start on. They all are basically the same thing, maybe just a few small things tweaked within the programs, but besides that there is no difference between them.

Overall Cubase SX is a great program that I recommend to anyone getting into music production on the computer. Even if you are a hardware music producer you can switch over to this software in no time and have no problem adjusting to it. Cubase SX will allow you to have complete 100 percent control over your projects and you can even save your project files and open the project up on a different computer if needed. You flat out cant go wrong with Cubase, as it is recognized all throughout the computer music world and every musician has either heard of Cubase SX or has used it at some point in the creative process of the music that they create.

Steinberg Cubase SX 1
I find Cubase to be the best program yet when it comes to plugin support and and tweeking mixes. I also love that scores editor, and absolutely love the way it accomodates other plugins and programs. Although I would have hoped that rewire could be faster.

$200

Fairly easy to learn and use.

I use it primarility with sounds from other programs, however I to say that it sounds really good when mastering and rendering to a wav. The mp3 exports sound poor though. But for what I do I have to say im satisfied.

Good product, experience some crashes, but could have been my computer. its good.

Hey I love this product and all its features! It's in my top 3.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: cyptm ( 3-, 2006)

Steinberg Cubase SX 1
There isnt anything missin with cubase, you can do absolutely anything with it there are no boundaries, you can rewire some/most other prgrams to cubase i.e reason or fruityloops, its probably one step away from pro tools there isnt nothing much you cant do...you will still need to get VST's to make your production/engineering sound better and there are so many plug-ins for cubase.

799.00

im not saying its hard as its like every other program you just need to learn it but theres alot more to learn on this program to reason or FL studios.

I have come across nothing at the moment that is weak about Sx 3, part from the way it looks i think if it had all the updates and the same look it would be appealing.

Nope a plain and simple installation/

This is my favourite program ive used, fl studios and reason just seem like baby toys, i kno those people who like reason will probably disagree but FL and reason are just quickways if knokcing up a track.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: UNP_UK (January 2-, 2005)

Steinberg Cubase SX 1
All the gadgets. Its more confident than you!

Price paid

Cubase is about usability. Thats why its the best!

Its the best sound quality you can find!

It feels like your working in a metal shop! strate strength!

If you wanna know how good something is; take a look at whos hating on it. I love the best; thats why i love this program!

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: tmonyfilm (January 1-, 2005)

Steinberg Cubase SX 1
I find it to be the best sequencer as many audio formats are supported. whether you need to use audio loops or midi its all there. more included plugins would be useful but thats the only thing i feel they are lacking in. a lot of people say they need windows that dock. I didnt mind the seperate windows structure. the windows tab makes it easy to switch back and forth between windows, and you can close a window that isnt in use and open up back later.

$500

When you first fire it up, it can be a little intimidating, but one read through the manual and you'll be all set.

The included plugins are decent enough to get some songs done, but to really use cubase to its full potential you gotta get some vst's.

I messed up my install once but installing too many free vst's. I wasnt sure what plugin messed with it, but i had to reinstall cubase, it would crash upon start up. that was the only problem ive had. its never crashed on me.

After using many programs, I have come to the conclusion that recording songs in cubase is straight forward and logical. You don't have to think about it, you just play, and nothing gets in the way of your creative process. with vst support, and of course rewire, the possibilities are endless, and i recommend every studio pick up cubase sx now.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: AntiSocialProduction ( 8-, 2005)

Steinberg Cubase SX 1
It pretty much does have everything you need in a DAW. I wish it accomidated live loop building better- like Ableton Live. I know that's not Cubase's job- still it seems possible to intigrate. If you can call it a 'feature', I am really disappointed there are no window Docking options (I always called them 'panes'). The other reviewer said exactly what i was thinking. After working with Ableton Live and thier much better pane-based interface I thought for sure everyone would hop aboard. Not yet apparently. moving windows around is not ideal.

$199 (upgrade)

There is a learning curve- even for users of earlier versions of Cubase. The manual is good enough- though some topics were discussed only briefly when I felt I needed a bit more discussion to fully grasp the topic. The interface makes sense and includes many shortcut buttons (not menu items) that perform common tasks and view toggling.

The included plug-ins are very good. Many accomidate electronica nicely. The sound IS better than Cubase 5.

It's no doubt a high quality product. It's using the Nuendo engine which is supposed to be well engineered. The sliders and level indicators all move smoothly and in synch with the music. the latency is reduced which is great for playing 'through' Cubase's effects. I can actually solo along now with plug ins effecting my sound in real time.

Other than a few user interface complaints this is a GREAT DAW. I haven't used Digital Performer or Sonor or Logic to compare but I know it's at least comprable. I would bet that the engine is a little more stable than those competitors which is pretty huge when wieghing a product.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Unknown (January 2-, 2003)

Steinberg Cubase SX 1
1.06 is fairly complete and the 1.01 bugs are history. Can't wait for the new features in SX 2, especially the fx returns!!

£ 349

I'm probably not the right person to ask cos' I use Cubase since 1990 and I don't remember how the learning curve was back then. I never had problems with it, except perhaps for the awkward MIDI sysex integration. I must mention though that any hardware slightly below Steinberg's recommendations (but fairly above minimum) is struggling badly.

The True Tape emulation is one of the best features a music software manufacturer has ever come up with. The on-board reverbs are a bit on the clangy / chilly side. The eq sounds too harsh and digital to my taste. I definitely like the A1 synth. BIG bass sounds and leads. The internal mp3 encoder is excellent.

For the most part, the quality is solid enough to not require any support. CS is ok as long as one stays on standard issues. They seem to lose it a bit when you come up with problems out of 'exotic' configurations. For those who are using Steinberg (-recommended) hardware there shouldn't be any major problems though. BTW I wouldn't use it at a gig, just like any other software...

It's a studio workhorse and it does what it's supposed to do, most of the time... For fancy twiddling I turn over to the 02R ;)

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Unknown (January 0-, 2003)

Very good - Excelent automation

can become crowded quickly

Like the tape emulation

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Unknown ( 7-, 2003)

Steinberg Cubase SX 1
Cubase SX is the ideal multitrack software for PC. It is an open-ended program which supports all Re-Wire applications i.e. Reason, Ableton Live 2.0, Re-Birth etc, as well as DX ,and of course Steinbergs own VST plug-ins. The possibilities only end with your creativity. Full multitracking, editing, MIDI sequencing, and effects suite. 10/10 for features.

$475

Flowing through a session is a breeze with the new SX layout.

The sound quality is great but it depends on the host soundcard. I give the sound a 9 out of 10 for a very clean sound. If you're looking for that warm sound you need outboard gear or some really good tube emulating plug-ins.

Full multitracking, editing, MIDI sequencing, and effects suite. 10/10 for quality.

I love it. I can't imagine life without this software.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Unknown ( 7-, 2003)