Create an account

or

Thread My first Home Studio.

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic My first Home Studio.
Hi all,

My name is Max and I have been an artist for over a decade and I'm finally ready to start recording. I live in NYC and I have a couple of friends that have a ProTools Home-Studio. I've been to some of their studio sessions to see how pro tools work and all. Now I want to have my own little studio at home(APT). I don't think I need Protools cause I'm at the begining stages of learning the how to.

Well....I have done a configuration for an audio and Video Worstation and would like to see if you think its good?

What I want to do is record acoustic and eletric guitar, conga drums and vocals. I want to make my own CD, and make some interesting beats for me and my friends and family. I just want it to sound proffessional.

here it is:

ASUS "P5AD2-E Premium" i925XE Chipset Motherboard For Intel LGA 775 CPU.

Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 550 3.4 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology

Sapphire ATI RADEON X300 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI Express, Model "100591L"

SAMSUNG 710N-2-Black 17" LCD Monitor

CORSAIR VALUESELECT Kit 240-Pin 2GB(2 x 1GB) DDR2 PC2-4200, Model VS2GBKIT533D2

Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD1600JD

The software I'm geting is Acid Pro 5, Vegas 5+DVD, Sound Forge 7.

Mics:
Rode NT4 Stereo Mic for drums and percussion?
Marshall MXL V69 Mogami Edition for vocals and acoustic

Do you think I will need a better Video card?

What sound card should I get? The M-Audio FW410 or Echo Layla?
Do you know any other PCI Audio interfaces that are good for 300 and less?

Do you think I would need 2 or maybe 3 hard drives about 80GB each?

What do you think about that Asus Motherboard?

Forgive my spelling.

Thank you.
If you're tracking it by yourself (i.e. one stereo or mono track at a time), I'd look at the MAudio Audiophile 24/96 (PCI version).

160 GB on the drive should be plenty to get you started. Heck, I run my whole project studio on an 80 GB. I just back my tunes up to data CD once I get 'em done. Now, with DVDR, you can get even more stuff backed up.

I didn't see a multi track recording package in there (unless SF 7 has gone multi track. Not familiar with Vegas, either. The two packages that folks seem to use most are Cakewalk (SONAR or Home Studio) or Cubase. I'm a Cakewalk guy.......

There are so many variables with motherboards, you'll just have to go for it and deal with anmy integration issues. Make sure that you have everything you don't use (like raid controllers and extra ports) disabled in the BIOS. Also make sure that whatever slot you put your soundcard in gives it a unique, unshared, IRQ.

Mics- in the inexpensive end of things, the Behringer and Studio Projects lines get really good reviews.

You didn't list any reference monitors. You will need a set to turn out good mixes. Headphones or computer speakers won't cut it. You may be able to turn out a decent mix on those, but it'll be MUCH harder to do (and more frustrating!).
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD