Boss AW-2 Auto Wah
Boss AW-2 Auto Wah
Hatsubai Hatsubai

« Decent auto wah for the price »

Published on 11/24/11 at 05:46
This is one of the more versatile autowahs that Boss has released. In the past, they had the TW1, along with a few other pedals. Those worked nicely, but for people who were looking for a bit more versatility, this auto wah was made. The pedal isn't that much different. It has a rate, depth, manual and sensitivity knob on it, along with the standard FET bypass and normal input/output connections.

Boss pedals are notoriously famous for being able to stand pretty much any kind of abuse you can throw at them. The housings are built like tanks, and they can be thrown off of buildings without any issues. They're truly some of the most reliable pedals out there, and I continue to have pedals older than I am in my rig without any issues at all. The pedal itself is fairly easy to setup, although some of the names are a bit ambiguous. Once you start turning the knobs, you can tell what each one does, but if you open up the manual, Boss describes what every knob does in detail, along with giving you some example settings to help get you started real quick.

The sound is pretty good, but it's your basic auto wah. I never really found a big use for a simple auto wah by itself except for a few funk lines or something. If I wanted that kind of surging sound to constantly occur, I'd rather break out a flanger and make it a bit more apparent than break out the auto wah. I can also do a lot of this with my normal wah, so it's not exactly something that needed to be on my board. The wah effect itself is decent, but there are a few Boss pedals that I think sound a bit better than this one. It's not bad, but I just didn't really find it to be quite as good as some of the real old Boss auto wahs.

If you're looking for a decent funk pedal to throw on your board, this could work out for you. However, I tend to just rely on the normal wah for whatever I need. It seems to suit me a lot better. That said, you can score these on eBay pretty cheap, and if you don't like it, you can always resell it. Your only choice is to buy used anyway.