If the name of Roger Mayer does not tell you much and if you think Jimi Hendrix was playing on a Dunlop wah, it's time to make a small revision.
In the 60s Roger Mayer was an engineer for the Navy and works on sound waves underwater. But there are other sound waves of interest. Roger attended the London clubs and so it begins to offer its services to local guitarists in repairing and improving their equipment. Among them, some Jimi Page. But it was in 1967 that Mayer made a decisive encounter, the recording of Jimi Hendrix came to London. They sympathize quickly and two weeks later, Mayer participated in the recording of "Axis: Bold As Love". He brings to Hendrix pedal its inception, a now famous octaver: the Octavia. It also enhances the effects of Hendrix and ... those in the recording studio. Satisfied, Hendrix moved to Mayer to accompany him during his tour of 1968. Mayer agreed and quickly became a reference in the field of sound. Many famous guitarists will use him and Roger Mayer products are also widely adopted by recording studios.
Roger Mayer is responsible for much of the "sound" of Hendrix. Indeed it will change systematically the effects of Hendrix. Among them, the Vox wahs, and the Univibe Univox Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face favorite Jimi. For example fuzz, they were built around the time of two germanium transistors. But this component is very unstable and to obtain a sound quality must correctly pair the two transistors. But manufacturers did not care about these details because they were unaware of its importance. And the sound quality of the pedals was very heterogeneous. In addition, the transistors used were not always of the same origin. For example, the Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-808 did not have all the famous transistor JRC-4558. Ibanez used transistors available, and the JRC-4558 were not always ... To choose the pedals, Jimi was entering a store and asked to try all available Fuzz Face. He kept about 1 in 10. Then they were systematically improved by Roger Mayer.
Small quick note: if you want the sound of Hendrix, you need his brain, fingers, strings, guitars, his amps, cables, its effects carefully selected and a Roger Mayer (standard model). You still believe you??
Today Roger Mayer effects offer high-end amateurs (wealthy). If they are vintage-inspired, they are no less innovative. Mayer does not attempt to revive Hendrix, he knows that's impossible. You do not sell "his" Hendrix. You simply sells excellent pedals.
- Handmade in the UK
- Analog technology
- Tip carbon fiber F1, optical detection
- Electronic switch with adjustable sensitivity
- Function "blend" to mix the wah and his "naked" on the guitar
- 4 mini-switches to obtain 16 scans of different filter and therefore 16 different sounds
- 9V battery power or external power supply (not supplied)
The shape of the pedal is inspired by aviation, like other pedals in Mayer.
The build quality is impeccable. A great pedal to the original design and technology.
The pedal wahs high-end handcrafted often suffer the same flaw: if their design and sound performance are sublime, their use is sometimes complicated ...
Among the negatives:
- Like other references wah high-end (Deluxe Fulltone, RMC 3, Voodoo Lab Wahzoo, Zvex Wah Probe) certain settings are only accessible with a screwdriver after removing the pedal! It must then drill the lower plate for easy access to its parameters. Here, the sensitivity of the trigger switch, and 2 other parameters mysterious (no manual, but it would seem to be an equalizer and the Q factor)
- The base area is deeply depressed in the pedal and therefore inaccessible to most plugs transformer market (especially taken cubits). The conventional transformer Boss suits, fortunately.
- The 4 mini-switches have a mode "special": they react like a pen pushers 4 colors. Push one of them triggers those who were previously engaged. So when it comes to snap 3 or 4 switches at the same time, it is not always obvious! In addition, these switches are poorly placed and it is quick to disrupt everything by accident.
Now on to the qualities:
- The scale is small, sensitivity and precision formidable. In addition she has received special care to design as the most ergonomic and comfortable as possible. A true happiness.
- The interlock switch, whose sensitivity is adjustable, easy, accurate, quiet and efficient. A must.
So a feast for the game, but a pedal can be quite painful to deal with.
Everything here is subtlety. The sounds are vintage. The 16 configurations can address all the musical styles of the years 60-70 and even 80. For metal and heavy loadings, this wah is less comfortable. But for everything else, it is simply perfect. Sounds organic, warm, soft, shiny and vibrant, everything is possible. Of course we can get closer to the sounds of pedals to get famous but mostly sounds unusual.
The boost is transparent.
The "blend" is a great find: the wah effect can be more discreet and subtle. It can also recover some of the momentum lost with the wah.
A truly exceptional pedal.
This pedal is a marvel. Offering versatile but still sounds impeccable quality. A yoke easy and incredibly effective. A unique design. A perfect switch.
Rolls of wahs.
Of course, is the price (450 euros) and the scarcity ... and some inexplicable defects at this level and that cost him his title perfect pedal.