Gibson Les Paul Custom - Alpine White

Les Paul Custom - Alpine White, LP-Shaped Guitar from Gibson belonging to the Les Paul Custom model.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Gibson Les Paul Custom - Alpine White

Average Score:4.3( 4.3/5 based on 35 reviews )
 19 reviews54 %
 9 reviews26 %
 3 reviews9 %
 3 reviews9 %
Value For Money : Poor
Buy at Sweetwater
tonmazz08/08/2012

tonmazz's review"Gibson Les Paul - Great guitar period! "

Gibson Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
This review is for a USA made Gibson Les Paul I bought from a local music store. Mahogany neck and body with a maple top and rosewood fingerboard. Black with gold hardware, Gibson 490R and 498T humbuckers. 2 humbucker, 3 way selector switch and all the rest of your typical Gibson Les Paul features. Got this for a great price as the dealer was on hard times and needed to move stock. Wasn't in the market for this but couldn't resist.

I have to say that newer Gibsons get a bad rap from many guys I know. Maybe with the new fret boards I can see that but this thing is a great playing and extremely well made guitar with the old wood. I have another custom shop Les Paul and it definitely gives it a run for the money. Very good attention to detail compared to some I see sitting in some of the chain music stores for sure.

The guitar plays perfectly but I will say this, I hate stock Gibson pick ups. Maybe for some styles of music, these are sufficient but for hard rock or metal, I definately needed something hotter than the stock pick ups provide. I swapped them out for a MotorCity Detroiter in the bridge and an Suhr Aldrich in the neck and holy moly this thing rips! I like the fact that it is significantly lighter than my other Les Paul but does not lose any of the great sustain and tone I can get from it with exactly the same pick up configuration.

Love everything about the look and feel. For the price I got it for, it was absolutely perfect and worth the money. I would never pay the $3,999 price tag that usually comes with these as no guitar is worth that kind of money. Being that I got it for a fair price, I will say it was well worth it. Having played many Les Pauls in the past, this is right up there with the best of them so in my own mind I put to rest the bad things that are said about newer Gibson products. As I said before, the pick ups weren't my thing so I swapped them out and now the thing is near perfect. In my case, I would easily recommend this guitar to anyone looking for a solid axe to play.
heads on fire12/27/2011

heads on fire's review"Classiest solidbody electric around."

Gibson Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Made in Nashville, TN, USA (older models made in Kalamazoo, MI, USA)
Color: Ebony, Alpine White, Wine Red, others
Pickup Switching: 3-way selector switch
Bridge/Tailpiece: Nashville TOM/Stopbar bridge/tailpiece
Hardware: Gold
Custom Shop case included
Bound fretboard, body top, and body back

This is a perfect guitar. For anyone that likes the Les Paul style, this is the bee's knees, the cream of the crop, the top banana. Nothing sounds, feels, looks, or plays quite like it. From year to year, there are little quirks, little tiny idiosyncrasies that one can look for, but for the most part, this is a guitar that has remained unchanged in design since the late 1950s. The neck plays like pure, silky butter.

Singing, smooth, sensuous sustain meets biting, bold, bright bombast. This guitar can play anything well, from rock, metal, jazz, reggae, ska, country... There are 3 basic tones out of this, as well as variety of variations with the tone pot, volume knob blending, etc, but this guitar can literally sound great in any style of music. I've played this guitar in all manner of setups, in Marshalls, Fenders, Mesas, Bogners, digital amps, solid state, through all kinds of pedals, and no matter what, this guitar's perfect tone soars through.

This guitar is the classiest solidbody guitar ever made, period. I don't think it's possible to compete in the solidbody realm in terms of sheer elegance mixed with simplistic design - this is a perfect guitar. Anyone that hasn't tried one out yet is committing a grave personal offense to themselves!
Hatsubai10/06/2011

Hatsubai's review"Your standard Custom"

Gibson Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Gibson releases tons of these guitars every year, and they're probably one of their more consistent guitars. I find that they tend to be put together a bit more than your normal Standard, even though they're all made in the same factory by the same guys. Maybe it's just in my mind. The guitar features a mahogany body with a maple top, mahogany neck with an ebony fretboard, 22 frets, trapezoid inlays, pickguard, binding, hard tail bridge, two humbuckers, two volumes, two tones and a three way switch.

The guitar had some nice inlay and binding work. There were no fillers anywhere, and you could see that they took their time with it. The nut on this was cut properly, and that's a fairly rare thing to see from Gibson. I normally find their nuts to be roughly cut and need some extra work once they get to the shop. The frets on this were good, and I was able to get some nice and low action without much of an issue. There was some slight choking out on certain frets, but it wasn't a big deal given how low I had the action. The rest of the guitar is pretty much your standard Les Paul but with an ebony fingerboard instead of the standard rosewood one.

The guitar had EMGs swapped into it. It had the EMG 81 in the bridge and the EMG 60A in the neck. The 81 was great for metal, and it worked super well with this guitar. It could do In Flames to a T, and that was something that I was real happy with. Boost a 5150 and plug this guitar in -- instant Bjorn tone. However, it lacked the versatility that you'd normally get from a stock Custom due to these pickups. The neck was a 60A, and it worked great for cleans. It's a bit fatter than the normal 60, and I find it has a little more character for lead tones as well. It has an almost single coil tone to it at times, but it's somewhat beefy thanks to the natural construction of the guitar.

These are some of my favorite Gibsons due to the extra bite they tend to have. Gibsons can be a bit too thick at times, and the ebony board really helps keep that in check. It may seem like a small piece of wood, but I always felt it has a big impact on tone. I'm not normally a big fan of ebony as a tone wood, but it works quite well on these guitars. Maybe I'm just too used to how Customs sound to hear the harshness that I hear in other guitars.
Hatsubai10/06/2011

Hatsubai's review"Slightly different lower horn"

Gibson Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
This was a guitar made in the 80s, and they started to change things up a bit. While they were built in Nashville, small things like the lower horn and whatnot were changed. The picture above actually isn't a true representation of what this guitar is. The guitar features a mahogany body with a maple top, mahogany neck with an ebony fretboard, 22 frets, trapezoid inlays, pickguard, binding, hard tail bridge, two humbuckers, two volumes, two tones and a three way switch.

The guitar had some wear on it, but it was nothing too bad. I actually find these 80s guitars to be pretty cool, although there are some things about them that are not 100% standard Les Paul. The lower horn is what sticks out the most. If you've ever seen an ESP Eclipse model that comes over here to the US, you'll notice they have a pointer lower horn. These guitars have the same. It's just something a bit different. They also have a slightly different serial number. The headstock is also different on these, so not everyone likes them. I believe these were the predecessors to the well known Heritage company that is now up and running.

These have special PAFs in them generally known as Shaw PAFs. They're pretty sweet PAF pickups, and they work great for rock. The bridge is like your normal PAF, but it has a little bit more sweetness to it. I plugged this through the JCM800 we have, boosted it, and I got an amazing Slash tone going on. The neck was also pretty cool. I got a very sweet blues tone in the neck with this guitar. However, if it were my personal guitar, I'd probably replace them. If you do replace them, you might want to keep the pickups for a bit as they can be a bit hard to find. If you decide to sell them, you might be able to get some good money for them on the used market depending on how the economy is going.

While these guitars are a bit different from what you normally see, I find that they're pretty much all your standard Les Paul. It may look just a hair different, but it still has that classic sound that everyone knows and loves. The guitar was also weight relieved, so it didn't have that back breaking issue like the 70s one tended to have. They can be hard to find on the used market, but you can generally get a good deal once you find one as purists tend to not like these.
Hatsubai10/05/2011

Hatsubai's review"Huge tone in this"

Gibson Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
This is one of the newer Customs, and you'll get some varying opinions as to whether these are good or not. I personally tend to prefer these guitars over a lot of the other eras as they tend to be a bit more consistent, but they still don't hold a candle to the old maple neck mid 70s models out there. The guitar features a mahogany body with a maple top, mahogany neck with an ebony fretboard, 22 frets, trapezoid inlays, pickguard, binding, hard tail bridge, two humbuckers, two volumes, two tones and a three way switch.

These models are put together very well. The first thing you notice is that the finish itself was pretty much flawless. I couldn't find any drips or any issues where the binding meets the paint. The nut itself was cut perfectly, so there were no tuning problems to worry about. The frets on this were nicely leveled, and I was able to get some nice action going. The ends were also not sharp, so it didn't hurt your hand every time you went up and down the neck.

I wasn't a huge fan of the stock pickups in this thing. Then again, I'm not the biggest fan of Gibson pickups to begin with. The bridge was powerful, but it lacked what I usually look for in a bridge pickup. I like the pickup to be clear and tight, but it seemed to be voiced more towards the vintage side of things. The neck sounded decent, but I'd like it to be more powerful and smoother sounding. I'm a sucker for those ultra smooth guitar tones for leads, but that's probably because I use them as a bit of a crutch for lead playing.

If you search long enough, you can find a good deal on these. However, you'll want to be vary wary of fakes. Ebay is flooded with fakes made overseas, and if you don't know any better, you could be suckered into buying a guitar that sounds like crap and plays even worse. If you're going to buy used, which I recommend you do, be sure to check out the different forums that regularly sell Gibsons and other higher end guitars. You'll be less likely to be burned that way, although you're still taking a bit of a risk when you do that.
King Loudness08/30/2011

King Loudness's review"A beautiful Les Paul"

Gibson Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
The Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty is a guitar that was originally designed in the fifties as a classier, more upmarket version of the goldtop model that was called the "Standard." The guitar has gone through a few feature changes since then, but the core specs are still quite similar to a late fifties example. It features all mahogany construction (no maple cap as per the Standards) an ebony fretboard (as opposed to rosewood on the Standard) block inlays, 22 frets, Grover tuners, tune-o-matic bridge with stoptail, and a pair of Gibson humbuckers (The modern Custom is loaded with the 490R in the neck position and a 498T in the bridge.) It's topped off with a really classy black finish with gold hardware and a multiply binding all around the guitar that really helps to bring out the elegant vibe of this guitar. The Gibson Les Paul Custom is (fittingly) now constructed in Gibson's Custom Shop plant in the USA.

The Les Paul Custom is not a guitar that I'd consider to be ergonomic particularly. The modern Custom is not chambered like many modern Les Pauls and thus it is quite a heavy guitar in general. It's not an instrument I would want to play for multiple 2-3 hour sets to be sure! It certainly is a guitar that you feel when you're playing, so if you're one of those cats who digs having a "real heavy Les Paul," the Custom is definitely worth looking into. The Les Paul shape/design is not one that lends itself naturally to things like shred or fast playing (you do have to work a bit harder on one of these) but it is certainly an easy guitar to play if you're a fan of the feel of Gibsons. The shorter scale is one that I've come to love for my own playing style, so it's all a matter of preference. The upper fret access is a bit of a chore on this guitar considering that it's not particularly light or sculpted near the neck heel, but again, when the guitar was designed, things like uber-fast playing weren't in vogue at the time and hey, it worked well enough for our pal Les Paul himself!

I've tried a few Customs through a whole plethora of different amps with great results. Because of the heavier weight and all mahogany construction of these guitars, it's got a great thick tone that is definitely different and unique to the guitar. Compared to the Les Paul Standard, it's definitely darker and has a much more pronounced low end. The lack of a maple top takes away a lot of high end sparkle, and the ebony fretboard is definitely a bit harder and sharper sounding than the rosewood used on many other LPs. I love both guitars for their tone, but they;re fairly different sounding guitars that work well for different application. I would say the Custom is a better guitar for precision work (IE: jazz, modern metal, shred) where notes really have to stand out with a clear voice. The more forgiving nature of the Standard is more suited to blues and classic rock styles.

All in all I think the Gibson Les Paul Custom is a guitar for the ages and is well worth considering if you want a great Les Paul to compliment a Standard or sound unique and cool on its own. At about $3,800 new they are not cheap, but you can find them quite easily used for about $2,400 without issue. They're great guitars that have a voice that is separate from the Standard but is definitely the voice of a real Gibson Les Paul guitar!
Hatsubai06/23/2011

Hatsubai's review"The snappier sounding Les Paul"

Gibson Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
The Les Paul Custom has gone through a tone of changes throughout the years. The one I'll be focusing on in this review will be the one currently available on the market today. It features all of the same specs that people know and love from a Les Paul -- a mahogany body with a maple top, a set mahogany neck, 22 frets, binding, two humbuckers, a hard tail TOM bridge, two volume knobs, two tone knobs, two humbuckers and a three way switch. However, the absolute biggest change would happen to be the ebony fretboard. That's mainly the feature that makes this guitar a "Custom"

The Gibson Les Paul Custom is an amazing guitar that sounds absolutely huge. The neck profiles vary depending on what year you buy, and the one I played had a fairly thick neck. Some people will dislike this, but it was never a huge deal to me. I seem to be able to adapt from super thin necks like the Wizards to extremely thick Nocaster necks without much of a problem. The flatter radius on this was wonderful, and it allowed me to lower the action lower than a normal Strat would allow. The tuners on this model aren't as bad as the older Standard model, but I'd still replace them with locking tuners.

The Custom really excels in sound. Normally, Gibson Les Pauls are very thick sounding. This works great for most styles of music, but sometimes it lacks a tad bit of clarity for genres such as metal, especially once you start tuning lower. The ebony fretboard on this guitar helps add some sizzle and bite that allows the guitar to cut through the mix without sounding thin. I'm not a fan of the pickups, so I always replace both those and the pots. This really opens up the guitar and makes it not only more aggressive but more versatile as well.

If you're searching for a Les Paul Custom, be sure to try a bunch out in your local music store. The quality control on Gibson guitars can be really iffy. The biggest things to look for would be tuning stability and fretwork. Pay particular attention to fretwork as that's what can really make or break a guitar. If you're looking for a metal guitar, it's really hard to beat this thing. Just be careful of the weight.
Everlone06/21/2011

Everlone's review"The cream of the crop."

Gibson Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
This Les Paul was made in October of 2001 in the U.S.A. It has a mahogany body and neck, with a maple cap on the body and an ebony fretboard with 22 medium frets. It has the usual dual humbucker configuration with a volume and a tone control for each pickup with the standard 3-way toggle switch. The stock pickups were the Gibson 490 and 498, but those have been replaced with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a ’59 in the neck. It has a tune-a-matic bridge and Gibson’s ’59 shape neck, which is somewhere between their 50’s and 60’s neck in its thickness.

Like with most Les Pauls, access to the higher frets can be difficult to reach if you are not accustomed to playing a Les Paul. This guitar is very comfortable to play either standing or sitting, but because of its weight (slightly over 8 pounds) after a few hours of playing standing up it can become a little heavy. However, the mass of the guitar translates directly into a thick and meaty tone.

I play all styles of rock with my Gibson Les Paul Custom. My amp is a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 combo, which delivers everything from pure clean tones to overdriven sounds. My pedal board consists of an MXR Micro Amp, a Bodenhamer modded Boss SD-1, a Line 6 MM4 and an ISP Decimator. No matter what amp settings or effects I use, the Les Paul always produces pure, clear, rich tones. This guitar most definitely suits my style of music. Les Pauls = ROCK!

I tried several other styles of Les Pauls and other Gibson models before deciding on the Custom. I believe the ebony fretboard set it apart from the majority of the other models with rosewood fretboards. It adds a special “snap” to the guitar’s tone. The Custom’s neck also felt the best in my hands. While $2500 is a lot of money for a guitar, there is nothing else I could ask for tone or playability wise from this guitar. It is built like a rock, and in the last 10 years of my ownership I have not had any issues with the guitar’s reliability or functionality.
Hatsubai05/02/2011

Hatsubai's review"The snappier sounding Les Paul"

nicocostantini03/16/2011

nicocostantini's review

Gibson Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Made in the USA by GIbson, 2 tone controls , 2 volume controls just like a regular LP, 22 Frets, Ebony Board. 2 Humbuckers, double binding, Grover tuners...
50's Type neck, not too big, not too small, very beefy yet comfortable to play.

The guitar looks gorgeous in all black with gold hardware, a real black beauty!

In terms of design this guitar is very nice to play, it is a bit on the heavy side weighting in at 9.5+ pounds.

Very versatile guitar, especially considering I installed single coil mode via a pull pot on the tone control knobs. Also changed the wiring, upgraded electronics, and installed a set of Suhr Aldrich pickups.

I use it with a Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Diezel Einstein, it has the typical Les Paul trademark sound, long lasting sustain and a lot of power. The stock pickups were a bit lacking in my opinion, as do most Gibson pickups with the exception of a few. Replaced them and the guitar sounds much better, its a dark guitar in nature so keep that in mind if you are planning on swapping the original pup's.

Can do any music style with ease, especially Rock and Hard Rock and even metal. The Les Paul Custom is a workhorse and a terrific sounding electric guitar with the benefit that it is the nicest looking electric guitar that has ever been produced.

With the addition of the coil tap, it can do classic single coil Fender type sounds with ease for those bluesy moments

Turn down the tone control on the neck pickup and get insane "women tone" lead sounds...

This guitar will sure turn a few heads around in a club, its such an iconic guitar, you really can't go wrong, as they keep their value through the years.

This guitar will outlive you if you treat it right and give you a liftetime of great Rock N' Roll tones