I possde the XB-1 from dj 5 years. It's been a while since I wanted to leave a post, so let's go!
61-key keyboard, touch synth.
A total of 64 sounds in memory. It can stepfather little, but the principle of this keyboard is to use the Controller directly. The programs are a sound basis for dpart (my opinion) and then to "live" sounds live.
- Midi (in / out / thru)
- Foot switch,
- Volume pedals (attention must possder the Hammond pedals, others are incompatible!)
- 2 outputs (mono-L / R)
- Headphone Jack,
- Possibility to connect a Leslie,
- A real good solid outlet, not one of those transformers that will slam in your hands!
Controller: There are buttons everywhere, and not for us dplaire!
- 9 real drawbars (drawbars) CHARACTERISTICS Hammond organs,
- 3 switches to enable / disable the chorus and vibrato (V1-V2-V3 & C1-C2-C3)
- 3 switches to enable / disable the Leslie numrique: BRAKE (Leslie Off), ON (Leslie active position slowly, FAST: Leslie speed). The use of these switches mtamorphose support (and acclration dclration raliste really, but I'll get the "sound")
- 3 pots: volume gnral, rverb, overdrive,
- 3 switches for assigning the zippers to pdalier (optional) or the keyboard. Pipelines Limited Note that you can connect a second keyboard via MIDI to be able to "manufacture" a double keyboard, such as B3 or otherwise. In this case, these switches allow the CONTRL 2 keyboards. Gnial!
- A switch SPLIT: If you connect an IDE 2nd keyboard and / or you do not like pdalier (no room, too heavy, too expensive ...), it is still possible to share The XB-1 in two separate parts (left hand = pdalier infrieur or keyboard, right hand = major organ).
View this video for example: http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=jopSugn1SZA
- 4 switches PERCUSSION: In all there are two kinds of percussion (Second and Third) that can be paramtres (Fast or Soft), o of the 4 buttons.
- 2 knobs: one is assignable (to engage or arrter the Leslie / to "inject" the overdrive). I use it only for the overdrive (more practical than knob, especially in concert).
The second wheel is a source of interrogation on my part: it is a pitch bend ... A Hammond organ?!?! I guess they have prvu in the case of a MIDI use ... Hmm ...
- One step that I use for almost paramtrer and rename my sounds (but a bit bigger, has better when even have t ...)
- And finally, 11 switches that allow banks to accder sounds and paramtrer / save the entire XB-1 in depth.
OUF! With all these pots, zippers, switches, variations of sounds are almost endless! And live, if you flat, even when it's another thing to tweak on the PC with the mouse a virtual zipper.
And all these parameters can be refined in the section EDIT: leslie speed, speed and acclration dclration, remote microphones relative to the rotors, type of rverb, percussion volume, transpose, rename ...
Although sr, sounds that are cre can be recorded (the zippers are on REPRESENTATIVES notch as they are to leave at the time of backup).
I will not function noon (that exist) since I've never proccup (but I do not think this is the function of this instrument Premire).
Polyphony: 32 voice polyphony.
Controller I find really good trs is a pleasure to rel fiddling with zippers, the drums in real time. I do not note the maximum pitch bend is a mistake and got my itty bitty screen.
Note that the construction of the XB-1 t stopped, it is no longer that opportunity is rare proof that the instrument is to please (at least, I do not sell mine !).
It is not necessary to return to the EDIT mode to CRER his palette of sounds. If we start paufiner, not rocket science anyway: it made her rglages, we choose the location, you press RECORD and voila!
When a small BMOL same: it is not always to find a ais among his 64 pitches: The XB-1 has eight banks, H. A In his eight banks, each time there are eight sounds (1 8). The problem is that the key "A bank" is also used for its "1", the "B" key is also used for the "2". You follow?
So it must be remembered that the sound we use to Deep Purple's H6, the solo is C2 BB King, etc.. So, my playlist is full of codes I am the only understand (although it's dj): B5 - F8 - E1 ...
Once a code at the top, the name of his appears on the screen. Saved!
But finally, I use some sounds in memory (in fact, the more I learn to use the XB-1, the less I need all made sounds) are the zippers and other Controller that give the sound I want. But that's no reason to confuse us with those damn codes!
That's what I just said. With zippers, is very simple: you turn on the organ, you rglez zippers and go. The hardest (and by far the most INTERESTED) is to find his own sound palette.
The manual is well done, we amme right course on the use of zippers, groups of records ... I personally have not used often, everything is fairly intuitive. And it's not a workstation! Anyway, when I needed to go I found the rponse.
- The sounds they agree your style of music? Without hsitation Yes! Deep Purple Pink Floyd, to Santana and Bob Marley, nothing rsiste.
Warning I do not like Whereas an expert in Hammond I know is that I love the sound of the Hammond (I speak the truth, l) is only for my XB-1. Now the purists will find, I suspect, many default to XB-1. Certainly. In absolute terms, better to have a B-3 with Leslie cabinet that goes with ... I have neither the purse nor the roadies to handle it. Moreover, it is necessary to distinguish the sounds of the organ and the Leslie Digital XB-1:
1) Regarding the organ sounds, I do not blame him, it's really top.
2) I think Leslie digital will never be worth a real Leslie, it's not a scoop. But it goes much TRS in concert, even when you approach a lot of the original. J4avoue t have some of the beginners. Then I connected the XB-1 Stereo (yes, before I plug it in mono). So l. .. A world opened me!
Conclusion: still stro!
- What are the sounds you prfrez, you dtest? ... 1 or 2 sounds are weird, I do not see how to use them (there's one that it purports to be the organ of YES, but even looking good ...). The rest is really stunning to ism.
Deep Purple fan, I cr the registry for "Child in Time": I close my eyes ... That's it I mustaches Jon Lord!
- I use it for 5 years without regret.
- What I prfre: the possibility to play as an organist (tirettes. ...)
- What I like least: the pitch bend wheel, it is really nothing.
- In the era, I pay 1600 euros. Its cte has declined since, Next-Generation organs that have emerged (but for a price much lev. I do not count me spare before long. The quality of irrprochable manufacturing (wood studs on cts "la'ancienne" robustness General for the instrument and pots, etc.).. I tried the XB-2 (antrieur) that did not happen to the ankle. Other brands offer simulations of organs of good quality (Roland, etc.). But when same: when I get on and scne I see the crit HAMMOND rear of the keyboard, I do not know me ... J'adoooooore!
- I would do without this choice hsiter. Unless you want to put 2000 euros or more in the latest issue MODEL.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful
Did you find this review helpful?yesno
chatouille39's review (This content has been automatically translated from French)
CHARACTERISTICS already described above. Emulation numrique an electromechanical instrument ...
The unit is well built and is rather cute.
I had a XB1 XB2 before and I must say that evolution is the norm. The user is now ergonomic console is used, the rules while a manual or called again setting records and you can change everything manually. It can split, etc ... The use despliter was "imbitable" on the XB2!
The program sounds easy, but I am fan of the console.
The bad points from the XB2 is the expression pedal potentiometric while it was on its predecessor optical and of great quality and in addition they dbroulls for one can not up a standard pedal, but a trade rag I have stew ddi.L !!!!!. The manual is not bad actually found by searching.
For sounds, I'm a little less tender! The heat defect even if some games not sound bad. Without vibrato or chorus I find the sound a bit acidic, metal. It is true that in a mix or a scene going rather well, but solo ... a little harder!
The leslie simulation is quite correct, I also have a Korg G4, the effect is comparable.
Compared to the XB2, the leslie, the vibrato / chorus are better, the overdrive, and perceived keyclick are less good. The sounds of bases (blank) are comparable.
I have since purchased a Nord Electro ... ouch! L there is no photo, the North is very much higher, the harmonics are warm, present, and comparing sets of drawbars equivallent, you cry!
The selling price of non, used to 500/600 euros, was a highlight of any scene was correct, the pleasure of having a real instrument without having a real B3, recess. Yes there are much better, but worse, the mine is reliable, it became attached ... (yes the musician is sometimes sensitive!) And then it is often sufficient to look at his bank statement to be convinced that .. . Finally, we understand!